• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I cringe when I see folks not wearing glasses. You don’t need to shoot steel for things to happen.

Here’s a good reminder of any training or casual range time one should!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yup. Anybody's who ever shot steel, or had an OOB discharge, or even gas to the face from a blow back gun or dirty reload should appreciate the need for safety glasses.

I had a ricochet take a chunk out of the top of my scalp a few months back...if it had been 2 inches lower and I not been wearing glasses, I'd be seeing monocular for the rest of my life. I've also had an OOB case rupture in a blowback 9mm AR that peppered my face with tiny bits of brass shrapnel, but my glasses saved my eyes. Always wear them!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I cringe when I see folks not wearing glasses. You don’t need to shoot steel for things to happen.

Here’s a good reminder of any training or casual range time one should!

What are the odds of that happening? Out of millions of rounds fired over the years.
    Goes to show time and chance happens to all.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    What are the odds of that happening? Out of millions of rounds fired over the years.
    Goes to show time and chance happens to all.
    While the circumstances of this specific incident is rare the point is stuff happens. Why even though it’s a rarity to need more than 6 rounds or even a reload in a civilian self defense incident some folks want 18 rounds with extra mags to reload. So what you think you need!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I fondly remember watching the first row of onlookers getting peppered by lead and jacket material at Parabellum carry gun matches.

Need we be reminded that we are setting off explosives with 20,000+ psi of chamber pressure and sending projectiles into targets at anywhere from 900 to 3,000+ fps. S*** happens. These are dangerous and deadly weapons and it pays to be prepared.

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    Mercifully the worst that has happened to me is a small chunk of either jacket or cinderblock came back and bounced off my leg as I was teaching a buddy how to shoot. It stung quite a bit but it didn’t get past my jeans.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Yup. Anybody's who ever shot steel, or had an OOB discharge, or even gas to the face from a blow back gun or dirty reload should appreciate the need for safety glasses.

I had a ricochet take a chunk out of the top of my scalp a few months back...if it had been 2 inches lower and I not been wearing glasses, I'd be seeing monocular for the rest of my life. I've also had an OOB case rupture in a blowback 9mm AR that peppered my face with tiny bits of brass shrapnel, but my glasses saved my eyes. Always wear them!
    When my dad was a kid, he would pull the bullets from .22lr cartridges and smash the primer with a bat. That was until he got a piece of brass in his cheek. On the way to the hospital my gandmother gave him a chewing, and at one point told him he was lucky, had it went 2” higher it would have taken his eye out. My aunt says my dad responded with “ Well if it would of went 2” to the left it would of missed me completely!”

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I had an oops with a newly set up reloading press a few years back. Had a double charge (.40s&w) - blew the mag out the bottom (broke it) and split the grip on my 2011. I had little bits and pieces all over. Always always wear safety gear when dealing with things that go boom.

Sent the gun back to cheely and had a new grip stippled/installed. Rest of the gun was fine if anyone is curious.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I have been hit in the face with too many random spent cartridges to not wear something covering my eyes. I always wear hearing protection, but occasionally will remove on outdoor range for a real world situation. They are loud, and that shouldn’t startle you in a bad situation. Just a few shots and then the hearing protection goes back on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have been hit in the face with too many random spent cartridges to not wear something covering my eyes. I always wear hearing protection, but occasionally will remove on outdoor range for a real world situation. They are loud, and that shouldn’t startle you in a bad situation. Just a few shots and then the hearing protection goes back on.
    Everyone should fire a handgun once without earpro to know what to expect in a defensive situation.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Wear safety gear for the same reason you say a gun - in the rare event something bad happens, be prepared

IMG_5960.jpeg
    Absolutely !!!!
    Went to the range for 2 minutes to test a build, unplanned, spur of the moment and left the safety glasses at home.
    Well, 5 minutes there I instantly caught someone’s 22 splatter from the steel he was shooting at.
    Right above the eye.
    Let’s say I relearned the importance of having safety glasses AT ALL TIMES. even if you’re just observing or shooting a few rounds then leaving.

Top Bottom