• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Of course, I could just as easily title this thread "Why I don't trust my wife with my checkbook while she's recovering from surgery". Or even "Why look, yet another Mosin thread!" I came home Tuesday after work to find a big, long box on the kitchen table with a bow on top. I open it up to find a brand spankin' old Mosin 91/30. My wife had taken it upon herself to schlep over to the local gun store and buy that Mosin. I'd been talking about getting one, though I'd not seen this one in particular. It's a 1926 Tula ex-Dragoon. The furniture is solid and the rifling is strong. It came with the bayonet but not the demon cat. I couldn't wait to shoot it (rifle, not the cat. Well... maybe the cat if I can get it to stand still).
    Mosin.jpg

Being the stickler for history I am, I wanted to observe this icon of the Communist regime in its natural habitat. So I took it out to my brother's place in Illinois. His old shooting berm was looking a little weathered and small, so we carved a new berm out of the compost pile and quite literally got down to shooting the s---. Our small but idealistically superior band of workers quickly dispatched some Imperialist watermelons with spectacular results. Our little range was very short due to space constraints, so I can't say much about the accuracy of the rifle since just about anyone (except my brother :p) could hit a watermelon at 20 yards from kneeling. We then obliterated a number of clays and soda cans and great fun was had by all. (mild language in the video below, sorry)

Recoil was less than I remembered from my one experience borrowing one of these rifles. As long as I remember to settle the butt of the gun down lower than I'm accustomed to doing with my smaller rifles it felt similar to the recoil from a 20ga. I was overall very impressed with the rifle for the price and researching all the marks and matching them to the historical record kinda makes me want to start collecting them.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway: to your wife! Good writeup, too. Good to see you were able to keep those watermelons at bay.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If I was you, I would treat that wife of yours like gold. Great gift from a wife that loves and understands you.

Of yes, great gun as well.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    She got any sisters? ;)

Actually, I have three! One is just 14, so I'd cross her off of your list for awhile (she's actually the only one with a boyfriend, too!). Another is 21 - a very studious double-major who is working 60+ hours a week this summer, and who has her eyes set on graduating with top honors. So, I'd cross her off for now, too. Then there's the 28 year old. Lives with my parents with her 2 year old boy. Generally unpleasant demeanor, no real skills to bring to the table (unless you count harvesting in Farmville). So you are MORE than welcome to take her away. ;) Oh, and she is completely anti-gun. The first two sisters I listed really enjoy shooting!

If I was you, I would treat that wife of yours like gold. Great gift from a wife that loves and understands you.

Of yes, great gun as well.

I think it's my turn for a new gun now, dear...I've seen some nice S&W ARs... :D

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Actually, I have three! One is just 14, so I'd cross her off of your list for awhile (she's actually the only one with a boyfriend, too!). Another is 21 - a very studious double-major who is working 60+ hours a week this summer, and who has her eyes set on graduating with top honors. So, I'd cross her off for now, too. Then there's the 28 year old. Lives with my parents with her 2 year old boy. Generally unpleasant demeanor, no real skills to bring to the table (unless you count harvesting in Farmville). So you are MORE than welcome to take her away. ;) Oh, and she is completely anti-gun. The first two sisters I listed really enjoy shooting!

I think it's my turn for a new gun now, dear...I've seen some nice S&W ARs... :D

OH so you buy him a relatively cheap Mosin and expect him to return the favor and buy you an EXPENSIVE AR? ok I See what you did here. ;)

It's always great to see your SO buying you the things she KNOWS you love. In this case it's guns. Too bad it wasn't a .500S&W though :draw:

Greg

Top Bottom