Why do some people blur out the serial # on a firearm that's for sale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont forget this "experiment"

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Both very good reasons. I think I would do the same now also. I never thought about a crazy psycho using it as a weapon to claim a theft and Id never heard of the OCR indexing. Thanks to both.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    IMO putting private information (such as serial number on anything) on a purely public forum is not a good idea. PM it to a specific individual if they're buying it is probably the best route.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    During the firearm dry spell, there was a lot of shady GunBroker listings with pics pulled from other people’s posts and just Internet-wide pic search.
    My best guess is, as stated above, if the posting is legit the seller will PM the SN.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is, however, nice when they show a partial - perhaps only blocking the last three numbers

Such information will often let me know year of production or in the case of sigs whether the frame was made in Germany or the US without having to message the seller. Often the information garnered will eliminate the firearm from consideration without contacting a seller

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    It is, however, nice when they show a partial - perhaps only blocking the last three numbers

Such information will often let me know year of production or in the case of sigs whether the frame was made in Germany or the US without having to message the seller. Often the information garnered will eliminate the firearm from consideration without contacting a seller
    Yeah I can see how that’s helpful. Would be especially helpful for collectors with very specific interests in particular guns. Thanks for sharing! TIL.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I also have a collection of PT series Tauruses, and the three letter prefix gives the year and month the gun was made. When I was a buyer I never went for anything after 2005 with the '98 through '03s being probably the most desirable IMO. Starting in 2006 they were drastically ramping up production to feed a frenzied market in the US (made so by Democratic gains in FedGov) and quality suffered a great deal

For the people who scoff at the idea of a quality Taurus, that was just all the more for me

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Dont forget this "experiment"
    That's it for me...I never allow a serial number from a gun I own to be visible via the web!

Top Bottom