• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    That's not always an advantage. At local steel plate matches, I see many shooters have to reload their hi-cap mags on stages with as few as 6 targets. I think the high round count makes many guys spray and pray, thinking they have lots of ammo and they can miss a few targets.

I usually shoot a revolver. I get funny looks from newer guys that don't know me and they wonder how a revolver could shoot these matches. With a limited amount of ammo, you can't afford to miss so I usually don't. I'm not super fast, but I still have fun beating many of the hi-cap, semi-auto guys. Oh, and my revolvers do use clips. :):

When SASS first came about a team using Peacemakers beat a California SWAT team using semi-autos. :cool:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    When SASS first came about a team using Peacemakers beat a California SWAT team using semi-autos. :cool:

That's true. Some of those SASS shooters are very fast with the single action revolvers. I know a couple that sounded like they were shooting a semi-auto very fast. I shoot gunfighter in SASS. One SA revolver in each hand. I'm also a bad guy that wears a red sash. My avatar is me in my cowboy duds.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    OK, OK, Honestly? The first revolver I bought, I picked up because I was sick and tired of chasing brass. The second, third and fourth revolvers were because after that first one, I was bitten, and just couldnt shake the need to have a revolver for every occasion.

Today I own revolvers for hunting, CC, OC, target, and a few just because.

As for the cost? Well, mostly I have bought used, and look for the really good bargains. I have one revolver that MIGHT have been more expensive than the majority of my autos new, but on the average, they are about 6 one half a dozen the other as far as cost to land in my safe. Some of the revolvers I have looked at are pricey, but I can count as many, if not more autos that are on my drool list that are as, or more, expensive than the revolvers I lust after.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    uhg...watching hickock45 shoot some awesome revolvers, and getting jealous at those of you who have a nice revolver or collection of revolvers that you bought at a reasonable price during reasonable times......they dont hold value that i see as worthwhile anymore....sorry to bump, but it saddens me, that a gun enthusiast on a modest budget, cant afford to shoot a .357 mag anymore

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    the cost issue has been covered. I love wheel guns because they are just fun to shoot, accurate, and because of the history that is tied to them. Plus I've never had a misfire.

Dmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Otisco
    Revolvers like anything else are worth what one will spend on one.

If they were in less demand they would be cheaper just like gas. I prefer revolvers but I am old school just don't see much need for high cap pistols as to me a handgun is just to get you to your fighting rifle or shotgun. 8 shots or less is fine with me. I can change out 1911 mags or load up from speed loaders just fine.
    This seems to always be the case with anything that has been proven reliable. It's just a matter of how much people will pay for something.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    They're more costly to make.

Supply and demand doesn't come close to explaining the entire price gap.

That being said, I prefer function over form. And I consider the semi auto to be a superior technology for all but a few very specific use cases, none of which apply to me.

OP, the only good reason to purchase a revolver is because you want to purchase a revolver.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just jumped w/o reading the whole thread but, 1st, which semi-autos are you comparing them too? If you can pop polymer lower recievers out of a mold, that's a big part of your answer. I think revolvers require a lot more machining and the action has more small moving parts, so competing with production costs of semi autos with metal recievers will still be a challenge.
    Why own one besides the fact that they too are guns? :-D I've heard that revolvers can be more accurate because they have a fixed barrel (not that most of us could tell); since a revolver isn't 'recoil actuated' you can load it with different calibers. ie you can load a .357mag with: .357mag, 38spl, 38S&W; ditto with a .44mag. And I'm sure someone already said that they're fun to shoot.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Some of you are missing a valuable point.
    I had a FFL several years ago and I remember that I bought 2 S&W 625's right after they came out a little over 20 years ago.
    Dealer cost was $425 and as I sold several of these I knew the price well. A 625 today in good shape is a $750-900 gun.
    I sold a lot of Glocks in the day and while I don't remember the dealer cost as well I think it was $280 or so. That gun might get that price today.
    The cheaper semi-autos will probably NEVER be worth more than you paid for them, unless you keep them 20+ years and then they won't go up that much.
    The more expensive Semi-Auto's will hold their value better but it still is hard to compete with a good revolver in value.

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    revolver are good for the first time buyer, with a semi auto you need more training, clearing a jam, mag strings going bad, you just load a rev and it's good to go, if it is hammerless you can even shot thru your pocket, semi auto would jam up, also you can with a rev at close range I mean contact it will work most semi auto's it jammed up to something will go out of battery

Top Bottom