• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I would avoid the LCR. A fellow instructor purchaced one specifically for the purpose of taking 2 days of snub training with Michael DeBethencourt. By the end of day 2 the gun was completely seized and had to go back to Ruger. Seems the pot metal they make the firing pins out of is too soft and will begin to peen and eventually jam up the works.

Go with the smith.

I didn't buy either, the smith was $349 this summer, today at the store it was $619, that is crazy.

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I got this S&W10 snub for $300. Pre lock, and in good shape. The SA trigger pull is great.
    picture.php

rp8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Highland, Indiana
    My main reason for carrying a snub nosed wheel gun is reliability and simplicity. Though I prefer to carry one of my bigger semi-automatics I never feel under prepared carrying a 5 shot s&w

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I would avoid the LCR. A fellow instructor purchaced one specifically for the purpose of taking 2 days of snub training with Michael DeBethencourt. By the end of day 2 the gun was completely seized and had to go back to Ruger. Seems the pot metal they make the firing pins out of is too soft and will begin to peen and eventually jam up the works.

Go with the smith.
    This is a quote from the review article in American Rifleman: 'I had the opportunity to shoot an LCR that was tested for endurance. More than 10,000 rounds of .38 Spl. + P had been fired through the gun. It didn’t look or handle like a gun that had been torture tested or worn out. Everything worked, it shot straight, and it still locked up tight.'

I've been researching the LCR, and there seem to be a lot more satisfied owners than detractors. Was the gun you reference from early production or current?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    My Dad carried one as a LEO for 30 years. That's good enough for me!

I've got both of his service revolvers. A S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, which I just gave to my nephew, his grandson on his 21st birthday and a S&W Model 67 Stainless Combat Masterpiece which I enjoy shooting.

They are the smoothest, most accurate handguns I have ever fired!

DadsSWModel15-3-1.jpg

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    This is a quote from the review article in American Rifleman: 'I had the opportunity to shoot an LCR that was tested for endurance. More than 10,000 rounds of .38 Spl. + P had been fired through the gun. It didn’t look or handle like a gun that had been torture tested or worn out. Everything worked, it shot straight, and it still locked up tight.'

I've been researching the LCR, and there seem to be a lot more satisfied owners than detractors. Was the gun you reference from early production or current?

I don't know what seperates early from current, but the class was early last year and he bought the gun for the class. There will always be more satisfied users than detractors because most people never run their gun hard enough to break it. A quick Google search for LCR and firing pin will show you this is not an isolated incident.

On top of all that, the trigger in the smith is better and the smith holds its value better. There isn't really a compelling case for the Ruger.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My Dad carried one as a LEO for 30 years. That's good enough for me!

I've got both of his service revolvers. A S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, which I just gave to my nephew, his grandson on his 21st birthday and a S&W Model 67 Stainless Combat Masterpiece which I enjoy shooting.

They are the smoothest, most accurate handguns I have ever fired!

DadsSWModel15-3-1.jpg

I carred a Model 15 in the USAF. Can't beat those revolvers, nice guns!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In something like a J-frame, for instance, you get a slightly shorter, slightly lighter gun with really no disadvantages. Modern 38 defensive loadings penetrate adequately and expand as well as a 357 magnum from a short barrel yet have significantly less flash, blast and allow for faster follow-up shots. The shortened ejector rod also extracts the shorter 38 brass more reliably. If you're talking about airweight revolvers, I specifically recommend against buying one in 357 as they are brutal to shoot and fairly pointless if you goal was minimal weight in the first place.

In fact, I frequently recommend to people that already own a 357 snubby and use it in a defensive roll just to load it with something like speer gold dot short barrel 38+p and be done with it.

LOL.....but the 2 foot flame and the concussion from a .357 round is enough to make any attacker wet themselves, and possibly faint. :)

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I don't know what seperates early from current, but the class was early last year and he bought the gun for the class. There will always be more satisfied users than detractors because most people never run their gun hard enough to break it. A quick Google search for LCR and firing pin will show you this is not an isolated incident.

On top of all that, the trigger in the smith is better and the smith holds its value better. There isn't really a compelling case for the Ruger.

I have shot over 400 rounds with my LCR and have had zero issues. This is the first time I have read anything about fireing pin issues.

Also LCR trigger is quoted the best DAO snub yet. The LCR is a great gun, is it a life long wheel gun? Maybe not, but it makes a hell of a EDC gun.

Every gun manufacture does have issues, when your producing that many guns and people abuse them you will have problems eventually. I guarantee if you do a poll, 90% of people are satisfied with the LCR.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    This is something that's been rattling around in my messed up head for awhile now. I haven't seen this asked on here before and didn't find anything in a couple quick searches, either. If it's on here just link and all that stuff.

Here's my question. Why buy a .38 only revolver? If you can buy a gun chambered for .357 that will also shoot .38s then how do you justify buying one that is chambered for .38 only?

I'm just looking for INGO's opinions and reasons why. It's not like I have anything against them, just curious what others thoughts are.

38 guns are usually cheaper vs 357, 38 ammo is usually cheaper than 357, 38 guns are usually smaller than 357 (easier to carry, conceal), with proper shot placement, 38 will usually get the job done. I'm not on the 38 bandwagon, I have both, but there is not a whole lot more that you can do with a 357 then you can do with a 38

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield

I carry a S&W 640-1 around the barn in .357 that was worked on aMag-Na-Porting. It has the smoothest double action trigger pull I have ever used. I gotthe gun cheap is why it is in .357. I use .38's in it because of cost. It hasdone in a lot of varmints using a cast bullet and whatever powder I have thatloads for the .38sp. Cost :spend: is the big reason to use a .38 sp. Less money spentper round means the more you can shoot. :draw: :ar15: It gets a cleaning once a month and a takedownto parts every 3 months. Sometimes the ports have problems with the cast bulletsometimes not. Has to do with the hardness :dunno: of the lead used.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I have shot over 400 rounds with my LCR and have had zero issues. This is the first time I have read anything about fireing pin issues.

Also LCR trigger is quoted the best DAO snub yet. The LCR is a great gun, is it a life long wheel gun? Maybe not, but it makes a hell of a EDC gun.

Every gun manufacture does have issues, when your producing that many guns and people abuse them you will have problems eventually. I guarantee if you do a poll, 90% of people are satisfied with the LCR.

Like I said, most people never run their guns hard enough to have a problem.

Noble

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I used to shoot .38 in my .357...wished I hadn't, as it is now a pain to eject the casings.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom