• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The internet has made so many camps of fan bases that are really harsh to others.

In 1972 we would go to a range and see a firearm someone else is shooting. You asked, he would tell you about it and your comment would be "cool gun" or "it looks nice" "I never saw one of those before" followed by "how does it shoot". The guy would show you his target or maybe offer you a couple of shots to try out. He was happy to have it and you were happy for him.

Same with guitars, you used to be happy for anyone who got one. "It looks cool, how does it play?" Maybe he would let you play your version of Born to be Wild or Iron Man on it

Now whenever someone has anything even slightly different, dozens of people tell the guy "everyone knows that whatever you like sucks".

Imagine a world where everyone could only drive a tan Prius, wear USMC black plastic glasses and not be allowed to try anything different.

Nothing wrong with a .40 even if I like .45acp better.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The internet has made so many camps of fan bases that are really harsh to others.

In 1972 we would go to a range and see a firearm someone else is shooting. You asked, he would tell you about it and your comment would be "cool gun" or "it looks nice" "I never saw one of those before" followed by "how does it shoot". The guy would show you his target or maybe offer you a couple of shots to try out. He was happy to have it and you were happy for him.

Same with guitars, you used to be happy for anyone who got one. "It looks cool, how does it play?" Maybe he would let you play your version of Born to be Wild or Iron Man on it

Now whenever someone has anything even slightly different, dozens of people tell the guy "everyone knows that whatever you like sucks".

Imagine a world where everyone could only drive a tan Prius, wear USMC black plastic glasses and not be allowed to try anything different.

Nothing wrong with a .40 even if I like .45acp better.
    people have become ruder by the week these days. And unfortunately a lot of gun enthusiasts sort of are worse than other groups. The rude ones believe whatever bandwagon they are in with and there can be no others.

Look at the Cult of the Red Dot Church people!

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    9mm guys be like: Ammunition developments has made bigger, more powerful calibers obsolete. These Ammunition developments don't apply to the bigger, more powerful calibers.

40/45 guys be like: Why don't you carry a .380 then.

9mm guys be like: It's not as big or powerful as a 9mm....

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    To me, 9, 40, and 45 are a matter of preference. I've seen ballistics gel tests where each caliber has loads that penetrate and expand adequately in certain guns, and some that don't. The results seem to be load/gun combo specific.

I see it as kinda splitting hairs since they all pale in comparison to shotgun and rifle rounds, right?

That's all I got.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    To me, 9, 40, and 45 are a matter of preference. I've seen ballistics gel tests where each caliber has loads that penetrate and expand adequately in certain guns, and some that don't. The results seem to be load/gun combo specific.

I see it as kinda splitting hairs since they all pale in comparison to shotgun and rifle rounds, right?

That's all I got.
    Don't hate and don't let them get lonely. Buy all 3.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Lots of anonymous internet hate and ignorance on the internet. Lots of social media influencers will say or do just about anything to get hits and make money. I don't see that much when folks are actually interacting face-t-face on the range or at a gun club meeting room. Having said that, yes the .40 S&W popularity declined with less interest from law enforcement agencies. The cost of the ammo also has something to do with it, too.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The thread lives!!!

Law Enforcement moved away from .40 S&W because of budgets. A secondary consideration was more smaller statured shooters. The terminal performance and capacity argument is simply justification for their actions. Departments had an opportunity to trade in old guns on new guns and they took it. They had the opportunity to save on the cost of practice ammo and they took it. (Edit: I am sure the qualification scores went up as well because of newer guns, less recoil. Red Dots could further improve those.)

Those Glock 22 trade ins can be had for a bargain. I was just looking at 200 grain, 1000 FPS hard cast ammo from buffalo bore and Federal. It isn’t full house 10mm but a $300 budget hiking gun with 16 rounds isn’t to shabby.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Lots of anonymous internet hate and ignorance on the internet. Lots of social media influencers will say or do just about anything to get hits and make money. I don't see that much when folks are actually interacting face-t-face on the range or at a gun club meeting room. Having said that, yes the .40 S&W popularity declined with less interest from law enforcement agencies. The cost of the ammo also has something to do with it, too.
    All great points .i will add though as far as price that’s only half of it. And one thing for my case anyway If you compare to the everywhere cheap mundane 115 target sure but myself I like the loaded to real capabilities 124 NATO at 1,200 fps or 147 than the cost savings isn’t as great. (And I’m not saying I never run 115’s or anyone is wrong just I personally like 134 and 147 grain as they better reflect duty ammo)

People get on their soapbox and start repeating what they “hear” and it seems YouTube guntubers are getting bad at the click bait

Top Bottom