Why all the accessory rails on handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is a compromise of sorts.. and as far as I know only one company has ever done it, and only on one model of pistol.

A rail cover.

The Beretta 90-Two had one

View attachment 315128

Interesting!

I wonder if the rail haters would be satisfied by a rail cover like this, if it were an option on all modern pistols? Aftermarket option?

Would the haters actually consider a polymer pistol with the rail stylishly covered or would there be no interest in anything other than cold steel?

:scratch:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Interesting!

I wonder if the rail haters would be satisfied by a rail cover like this, if it were an option on all modern pistols? Aftermarket option?

Would the haters actually consider a polymer pistol with the rail stylishly covered or would there be no interest in anything other than cold steel?

:scratch:
    Cold steel for me please.

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    What prompted my thread is this: several weeks ago I decided that maybe I would like to have a compact 40S&W pistol by a well known and respected manufacture to enjoy at the range. I want a 4in barrel with a relative capacity of 8 to 12 rounds. 40S&W is a caliber that I do not have in my safe although I did have a S&W 40 (SVDE?)years ago and found it a pleasure to shoot and I thought I might like to have that pleasure again. Of course I need another firearm like I need another hole in the head but hey, I'm retired and enjoy shooting at Atterbury often.
    Suggestions for a pistol without an accessory rail would be appreciated. And please no Glocks. I'm not a Glock hater I merely don't find them attractive.
    Tanfoglio is another great option for a .40 S&W range gun. They are made in many different configurations and calibers. Metal or polymer frame, full size or compact, rail or no rail. They have options from simple and affordable to full on race gun. Attractive, accurate and reliable gun inspired by the CZ 75 design.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I believe a light on a handgun or any gun is like a beacon.
    It can be, but so can a handheld. It's totally dependent upon how the user employs it. Just like people committing safety violations while searching with a WML is a user problem, not a tool problem. We don't blame guns for what stupid people do with them...I think the same standard should be applied to lights.

Personally I wouldn't have a duty or home defense gun without a WML. It provides certain advantages over (or in addition to) a handheld in those roles. I don't find a WML necessary or even desirable on a CCW piece in most situations, but I do carry at least one handheld everywhere I go (mainly because a light is useful for countless things, not just self-defense).

Back to the original issue of rails on handguns...I don't understand the complaint about putting them on "working" guns. All it does is provide options, there are no practical downsides. The "cheese-grater" argument doesn't hold water with me...the only gun I own that actually shreds holsters is my non-railed SA Loaded 1911 with it's outrageously sharp front-serrations. I enjoy a classic looking firearm as much as the next guy, but those mostly fall into the category of toys these days, not serious defensive tools (I'm talking "duty-size" semi-autos here, not subcompacts or revolvers).

My first gun, back when I was 21 and a broke college student, was a used Beretta 92 full-size with the classic straight dustcover and all metal controls. I was young and ignorant, and I'll admit that my main reason for going with the Beretta was because Bruce Willis used it in Die Hard. Thankfully, it turns out that the Beretta 92 is an excellent and reliable handgun while at the same time being one of the sexiest pistols ever made. That sexiness didn't do me any good a few years down the road, though, when I was still broke but had acquired a better choice for CCW and was looking for a dedicated HD gun. I wanted a WML and the only way to put one on the Beretta was with a stupid adapter thing that clamped to the front of the trigger guard. I lived with that for a few more years until I got some better options, and the Beretta has become more or less a range toy...but it might still be occupying the nightstand had it come with night sights and a rail from the factory.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    WML?
    I guess it all comes down to personal preference of what one see as unattractive. I understand all the arguments and they are all valid (except for the snarky ones).
    I'm an old guy and I merely like the look of the classics. A firearm is an extraordinary piece of engineering and machinery and I celebrate them as such.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    WML?
    I guess it all comes down to personal preference of what one see as unattractive. I understand all the arguments and they are all valid (except for the snarky ones).
    I'm an old guy and I merely like the look of the classics. A firearm is an extraordinary piece of engineering and machinery and I celebrate them as such.
    WML = Weapon Mounted Light

My apologies if I came off as snarky. That was never my intent.

I definitely share your appreciation for the engineering and history of a classic firearm. I have a number of them, in fact the majority of my "collection" consists of that kind of thing. My son and I actually just got back from the range where we shot some 80-100+ year-old Enfields. They're a joy to shoot and manipulate, but I'd never opt to take one into combat over a properly-equipped AR-15. For a weapon that I might actually have to fight with, practical trumps everything else.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I've never minded rails, or even really noticed them. I just figure some things should have them and some shouldn't. Anymore, offering a polymer pistol without rail and optic options would be like marketing a car with crank windows and manual locks! To each their own and I hope you find what you're looking for, though I never personally let a weapon's appearance affect how much I like shooting it. I have one gun that suffered at my own hands when i thought I was a handy little gunsmither but it's still fun to shoot, just embarrassing to get out. I should probably fix that but it'll look cool in the apocalypse!

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    WML = Weapon Mounted Light

My apologies if I came off as snarky. That was never my intent.

I definitely share your appreciation for the engineering and history of a classic firearm. I have a number of them, in fact the majority of my "collection" consists of that kind of thing. My son and I actually just got back from the range where we shot some 80-100+ year-old Enfields. They're a joy to shoot and manipulate, but I'd never opt to take one into combat over a properly-equipped AR-15. For a weapon that I might actually have to fight with, practical trumps everything else.
    i did not mean to imply your response was one of the snarky ones. I appreciate you and our discussion.

Keoliver

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2023
    Lafayette
    I really dislike accessory rails on handguns. It seems most new and current production guns have them and I think they are ugly.
    I really wish gun manufacturers would build more handguns without them.
    Like a lot of others have said, it’s mainly for lights, sights, etc. But I agree they can be on the ugly side sometimes and it would be nice if there were models with and without so you could have more options when buying.

allenfirearmsllc

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    For a concealed carry, it seems unrealistic to add all the extras. Weight is a serious consideration
    Judge me if you will. But i started carrying with a fanny pack. Its more comfortable, fits a bigger gun and i can move better with it on. If i need to kick someone i can, if i need to go to the ground and use jiu jitsu i can without worrying about my gun going flying. The draw is a little slower but i practice it. Its nice to be able to take it on and off quick and easy when i get home or when i go somewhere i cant have it. ( i work inside a lot of schools and cant carry) only thing you have to get over is looking a little..strange.. but it is definitely very a “grey man” way to carry. People probably assume i play for the other team, not that im carrying a gun. Which i guess sometime people do both. Switch hitters need protection too, no discrimination here.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    P229 is a joy to shoot .40/.357 out of, a real joy. If you can tolerate the rail you can find LE trade ins under $500.
    They can be pretty easy to find without the rail too
    7d3c2a548a49ef5c4732afda7f8fae6f.jpg

Top Bottom