• Who was the worst U.S. President?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Who was the worst? I did my best to pick the top 9 that I think would be the most popular answers here. If you choose "Other" then you should really do a job convincing me that your choice is worse than all of these SOBs.

Feel free to point out other grievances that I have overlooked. I'll try to add them to my list. This is by no means complete. It goes without saying that every single one of them grew the Federal government and broke the constitution.

Abraham Lincoln

• Arrested/executed tens of thousands of his political opponents in the North
    • Arrested congressmen, mayors, journalists
    • Had a warrant to arrest the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
    • Waged war on his political opponents in the South
    • Did not obtain congressional approval for war
    • Confiscated citizens guns
    • Declared Martial Law
    • Shut down newspapers, censored the telegraph
    • Quartered soldiers in private homes
    • His war killed more Americans than both World Wars
    • Created the nation's first income tax and the precursor to the IRS
    Woodrow Wilson

• Created the Federal Reserve
    • Created the IRS
    • Exacerbated the Great Depression
    • Entered the U.S. into World War I
    • Arrested an estimated 175,000 Americans for "seditious" speech
    • Instituted rationing and price fixing
    • Created the War Industries Board which took over the U.S. Economy in service of the State
    • Created the Committee on Public Information used to lie to the American public and spread propaganda
    • Supported joining the League of Nations
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

• Instituted the Social Security Act
    • Created the "New Deal", at least 100 new bureaucratic agencies
    • Created the FBI
    • Created the FCC
    • Created the SEC
    • Signed the National Firearms Act of 1934
    • Confiscated Americans' gold
    • Locked up American citizens in concentration camps
    • Created wage and price controls
    • Created Selective Service Act
    • World War II
    • Sent battle tanks into Washington DC to crush the 1932 Bonus March
    Lyndon B. Johnson

• War on Poverty
    • Created the "Great Society" welfare program
    • Vietnam War
    • Used military draft
    • Signed the Gun Control Act of 1968
    Richard M. Nixon

• Watergate Scandal
    • Created the EPA
    • Created the DEA
    • Started the Federal War on Drugs
    • Created the ATF
    Jimmy Carter

• Iranian Hostage Crisis
    • High inflation and economic recession
    • Military involvement in Latin America
    • Created the Dept. of Energy
    • Created the Dept. of Education
    • Created FEMA
    Bill Clinton

• Signed the Assault Weapons Ban
    • Stepped up the War on Drugs
    • Signed NAFTA, GATT
    • Military involvement in Bosnia
    • Waco TX ATF debacle
    • Scandalous president
    George W. Bush

• Signed the USA PATRIOT Act used to spy on citizens without a warrant
    • War on Iraq, started under sketchy pretenses
    • Created the TSA
    • Created the DHS
    • Clampdown of the internet
    • Secret watch lists
    • Torture in secret prisons, Indefinite detainment of suspects
    • No Child Left Behind
    • Expansion of Medicare
    • Bailed out failing private businesses
    Barack Obama

• Expanded all of Bush's programs
    • Spent more money than Bush
    • Created Obamacare
    • War on Libya
    • Record spending

Other

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In my opinion, its a close race between Lincoln and FDR.

I think Abe was a bigger tyrant, more heavy handed, killed more Americans.

FDR wasn't too far behind... but... his policies will have a longer lasting affect. The entitlement disease that plagues the country, may very well lead to America's real demise.

For that reason I vote FDR.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Kind of surprised to see Lincoln tied with Obama and noone voting for Clinton or Carter? Of course with an n=3 that will probably change :)

Lincoln did some crazy stuff, but let us not forget that he was in a civil war where political opponents and "fellow americans" were also spies and soldiers for the enemy. All I'm saying is Monday Morning QB syndrome? He was also faced with a pretty big disaster and though we all "think" the war was based mainly on economic issues, let us not forget that he was the first if not the only man to fight a war to free men of a different race from slavery in his own country. No kudos for that?

Also, Didn't Kennedy rate an appearance? After all, Wasn't it his Admin that got us into Vietnam and established some of the really F'd up policies regarding that? Just asking since I see that Johnson gets some -1 for similar stuff.

Also, kind of surprised to see such a short list attributed to Obama. Of course, I suppose if you delineate "expanded all of Bush's programs" that would increase his own shortcoming significantly.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lincoln did some crazy stuff, but let us not forget that he was in a civil war where political opponents and "fellow americans" were also spies and soldiers for the enemy. All I'm saying is Monday Morning QB syndrome? He was also faced with a pretty big disaster and though we all "think" the war was based mainly on economic issues, let us not forget that he was the first if not the only man to fight a war to free men of a different race from slavery in his own country. No kudos for that?

Lincoln made those men his enemy. The South freely wished to peacefully leave the Union. If states could vote to join the USA, they should be free to leave as well. Lincoln attacked states that had declared sovereignty from the U.S. and wished to govern themselves. Their matters were no longer his business. He declared that they will surrender to the might of the Federal government or die.

Slavery should have remained a state issue. He's a big reason that the Feds dominate the states so strongly today.

Also, Didn't Kennedy rate an appearance? After all, Wasn't it his Admin that got us into Vietnam and established some of the really F'd up policies regarding that? Just asking since I see that Johnson gets some -1 for similar stuff.

I didn't imagine him getting more votes than those already mentioned. I wish I could have a poll with enough options to fit all the presidents on it.

Also, kind of surprised to see such a short list attributed to Obama. Of course, I suppose if you delineate "expanded all of Bush's programs" that would increase his own shortcoming significantly.

Feel free to point out more things. I tend to stick with points that will be remembered in 50 years and not just crap like "he went on an apology tour" or something.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Need one more choice

Should have listed an All Of The Above choice.
    All have done their part to chip away at our freedoms. Some more than others, every one for their own political power, legacy building, private profit etc.
    If truly forced to chose one over the others, I chose Lincoln.
    He did his best to and did quash the rebellion of the Confederate States over money and power, plain and simple.
    The Civil War started it all, the beginning of the over powering Federal Branch, the weakening States, the move away from self governence . We were taught lies in school, it really had nothing to do with slavery. Had the southern states not raised a stink, for all we know, slavery could still be in force. Not saying that it's right and not wishing it was, just telling a truth that most were never taught.

Lincoln poisoned the koolaid and the Country has been drinking it ever since.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    obama, then carter

Carter is only on the poll because I've heard people on this forum say that he is the worst so many times. In reality I don't think he deserves to be in the top 9... I might replace him with Andrew "Trail of Tears" Jackson if I was actually ranking my opinion of the worst presidents.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Kind of surprised to see Lincoln tied with Obama and noone voting for Clinton or Carter? Of course with an n=3 that will probably change :)

Lincoln started the Civil War. The southern states would've peacefully left if allowed to. Also, the war had nothing to do with slavery really. The war was in no way motivated with freeing the slaves. In fact, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't even free all the slaves, just the ones in the South. There were I believe 4 states in the Union that still practiced slavery, albeit not for terribly long thereafter.

As for my vote, it's really a toss up between Lincoln and FDR. I think Lincoln was worse as he was essentially a tyrant, however as Rambone mentioned FDR's policies are plaguing us today. Though, as he also noted, Lincoln is also a large part of why the Feds dominate the states so much. This expansion of federal power and dominance I think has allowed a climate where the Federal government has run amok, and I think that gives him my vote.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Obama is a piker compared to Woodrow Wilson. One item left off of WW is the beginning of the income tax. WW was the first real progressive in office and believed the Constitution had seen it's day.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Here is my list from Best to Worst:

1 George Washington 1789-1797
    John Adams 1797-1801 Federalist
    Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809 Democratic-Republican
    James Madison 1809-1817 Democratic-Republican
    5 James Monroe 1817-1825 Democratic-Republican
    6 John Quincy Adams 1825-1829 Democratic-Republican
    Andrew Jackson 1829-1837 Democrat
    Martin Van Buren 1837-1841 Democrat
    William Henry Harrison 1841-1841(died In office) Whig
    John Tyler 1841-1845 Whig
    James K. Polk 1845-1849 Democrat
    Zachary Taylor 1849-1850 Whig
    Millard Fillmore 1850-1853 Whig
    Franklin Pierce 1853-1857 Democrat
    James Buchanan 1857-1861 Democrat
    Abraham Lincoln 1861-1865 Republican
    Andrew Johnson 1865-1869 Democrat / National Union
    18 Gen. Ulysses S. Grant 1869-1877 Republican
    Rutherford B. Hayes 1877-1881 Republican
    James A. Garfield 1881(died in office) Republican
    21 Chester A. Arthur 1881-1885 Republican
    Grover Cleveland 1885-1889 Democrat
    Benjamin Harrison 1889-1893 Republican
    Grover Cleveland 1893-1897 Democrat
    William McKinley 1897-1901 Republican
    Theodore Roosevelt 1901-1909 Republican
    William Howard Taft 1909-1913 Republican
    Woodrow Wilson 1913-1921 Democrat
    Warren G. Harding 1921-1923 Republican
    30 Calvin Coolidge 1923-1929 Republican
    Herbert Hoover 1929-1933 Republican
    Franklin D. Roosevelt 1933-1945 Democrat
    33 Harry S. Truman 1945-1953 Democrat
    Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953-1961 Republican
    John F. Kennedy 1961-1963 Democrat
    Lyndon B. Johnson 1963-1969 Democrat
    Richard M. Nixon 1969-1974 Republican
    Gerald R. Ford 1974-1977 Republican
    Jimmy Carter 1977-1981 Democrat
    Ronald Reagan 1981-1989 Republican
    41 George Bush 1989-1993 Republican
    Bill Clinton 1993-2001 Democrat
    George W. Bush 2001-2009 Republican
    Barack H. Obama 2009 -Present Democrat

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Where's Warren G Harding or Herbert Hoover? They sucked too. Andrew Johnson was useless as well.

perhaps instead of deciding which turd smells worse, we should say who was the best president?

Top Bottom