• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I've found I can skin and quarter a deer without needing to touch up the edge on my hunting knife. If I use it during the day, I hit it with a smooth stone to bring back the edge.

That is why I would like to see a clinic, to share some different ideas and techniques. I do what has worked for me in the past, but it doesn't mean I can't learn from somebody else.

For example, if I don't have a stone handy I learned from an old timer that I can touch up my knife on a beer bottle or a drinking glass. I've used that trick a number of time while cleaning fish or frogs. I'd really like to get together and learn what everyone else is doing.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm not trying to say you don't know what your doing, I'm just picking your brain as to why you do what you do because its 180 of my philosophy.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I like a razor sharp edge when I need one. It isn't a big deal to touch up the blade now and then. I don't like the angles on the blades when I buy them so I re-grind them. I'm not saying that there isn't a better way, this is just the way that I learned and it works for me.

And yes, if I go cutting directly into a bone or something I will lose the edge on my blades, I just figure its no big deal to put it back again. I think that is one advantage of learning on a stone vs. a device; learning to sharpen with a stone teaches the whole process and makes you confident to sharpen up a blade with a rock that you find in your driveway.

But like I said, I still want to learn what everyone else is doing...

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well all the "devices" I use sans my paper wheels are stone sharpening, the only difference is I don't have to guess the angles as they are set. I also have benchstones that I rarely use but I also built pre angled blocks for them so my angles are always consistent. being as I do this as a job(mostly winter though) I have to be consistent with all the knives I do so when they come back I don't have to guess or calculate anything, and a lot of people like or want certain bevels so I have to be able to give them that every time. again not knocking you just seeing where your coming from.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I don't do it for a living or anything. I just learned to sharpen from my dad and his friends. I can get a knife sharp enough to shave with with a few simple tools. I'd be happy to teach what I know and learn what you know. Odds are we'd both pick up a new trick or two.

I can say that guys who use different sharpening systems have been shocked at how sharp I get my knives. I have used glasses, bottles, elements from a water heater and pieces to tile to sharpen. I actually do have a rock that I picked up from my driveway that I use to sharpen my "letter opener" at work. I'd love to get together and see what you do. It sounds interesting.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    well eddie can you do it on tuesday. lets post up days we can all do it as of now most ppl are saying tuesday will work for them. now we just need a time and a place. anyone from around martinsville area know another spot we can have it that way nobody is just coming one way so far everyone will be traveling a bit

hodgdon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    edge pro for me works every time at least for the last 10 yrs.a little costly but well worth it. they are out of hood river or. good luck

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    lol its only certain knives i can't sharpen. zoub i think your karma thing is a bit off w/ knives though i do believe in karma i don't think its stopping me for sharpening knives. i would probably be game to come to martinsville to learn to hone my skills though i think coming down to martinsville i would need it to be on one of my days off. just due to time. well i think we have enough ppl that are interested once ppl all start posting what days and times they are available to do everything.

next week i am tuesday wednesday and thursday

Usually people who have bad karma don't know it..........:draw:

I am a member of the club, live south of Indy, have good Karma, recently stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn but I have no free time. Not sure you can even rent the club house for use with non-members?

Places to meet for things like this are hard to come by, I can't think of any indoors down this way. Is there such a thing as a local knife shop or gun shop who would host it? I could see tacticalshotgunner maybe doing it in the future. Maybe Whiskey River on Hwy 37 would be game for it? Call them and ask.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just tagging this thread to say I am interested in attending pending knowing more about specific date and time. I can get a knife sharp enough to skin squirrels and deer and to cut things around the house, but don't know much about specialty stuff like serrations.

bryhuds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Like Zoub, I am a member of the Martinsville Conservation Club and can attend there. Not sure about non-members though ?

Squealers would work for me too....

I am also available anytime Tuesday or about any other day since I have the whole week off work.

Top Bottom