• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I think the drywaller was done in by choosing to move his camp in the rain. Bad idea. He got everything wet and didnt end up in a better situation. He had access to more wood but got hypothermia in the process. Ya cant fight mother nature. You can only react to whats going on around you.
    I believe the bull goose saying came from " One flew over the Cuckoos nest". Jack Nicholsons character asks the loony bin inmates who's the bull goose loony? A buddy of mine hung onto it and started using it to mean Bada$$ or boss.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I really feel the drywallers biggest error was not really making a solid shelter. He was more or less out in the open and exposed the whole show. The rest of them may have started out that way, but quickly built something that contained some heat, was comfortable, and out of the elements. He even said in the last episode that he didnt want to spend too much energy/time building a shelter. I think once he sees what the rest of the contestants were able to build he will be disappointed in his own performance.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    ^^ This^^

My wife and I both are huge fans of this show. My girls are starting to get into it too.
    We were both wondering what Greg was thinking moving in the rain. Having his fire in the elements with a mere lean-to in his prior "established" shelter seemed to be inviting trouble and it got worse when he moved.

Dave was my early favorite, with his quirky loner personality, I figure he was ahead on the mental game. He's looking quite famished lately. I was really hoping he'd be the first to take a wild pig last show and start to get better nourished.
    The gatherers tend to get fatigued when the weather is against them and their plants, but they are thriving this time. I love seeing the ladies doing so well. Callie has some major know-how and experience, and is thriving with some pretty heavy challenges.

The casting has definitely stepped up the skills over the three seasons. This group seems like they would have had season one's Allen in the middle of the pack, at best.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Dave can't string his bow? I've shot recurve over the years on and off. I've always used the step thru method - it much less awkward than the method he was trying and from what I could see it would be much easier using major muscle groups as opposed to pushing with your fingers to slide the string up the limb.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Dave can't string his bow? I've shot recurve over the years on and off. I've always used the step thru method - it much less awkward than the method he was trying and from what I could see it would be much easier using major muscle groups as opposed to pushing with your fingers to slide the string up the limb.

He's starving at this point. Maybe he's not thinking clearly enough to do that?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was talking about the show with my best friend yesterday (I'm an episode behind) and he let last week's cat out of the bag. I was surprised!

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow, poor Dave, can't believe this past weeks episode. He was getting pretty thin, delirious, and fatigued. He's going to be quite pissed when he watches the show and realizes how much more he could have ate his stockpile of fish, had more energy, probably caught more, and still been fine.

I really didn't think he would last too much longer seeing him deteriorate, but was a surprise to see his BP that low.

Hopefully Zach keeps his mental game in check.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Wow, poor Dave, can't believe this past weeks episode. He was getting pretty thin, delirious, and fatigued. He's going to be quite pissed when he watches the show and realizes how much more he could have ate his stockpile of fish, had more energy, probably caught more, and still been fine.

I really didn't think he would last too much longer seeing him deteriorate, but was a surprise to see his BP that low.

Hopefully Zach keeps his mental game in check.

It almost seemed like he started to obsess on how far he could starve himself. The delirium of starvation had him making bad choices.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've watched every episode and every season to date, and I really like the show. I've been trying to use the show as an example to my wife, friends, family what good medicine the woods and outdoors can be. I'm blown away at how many "tough guys" break down so quickly and tap out almost immediately just because they're alone and either aren't confident enough in their abilities or who they are. Seems like they have to seek out emotional train wrecks for this show to get ratings.

I'm also really blown away at some of the injuries I've seen. It's easy to type this from my keyboard, but seems crazy to be walking around with an exposed axe in your hands, or to be splitting wood and nearly loosing all the abilities in a thumb because of a little slip of an axe. I've never seen an axe accident, but wow it brought a whole new level of respect for the tool to me after seeing the show.

It also strikes me as really interesting about what some of the selections have been for equipment, especially the knives. It's funny to me to go through the INGO knife picture thread and see all the very high dollar knives in there without a scratch on them that would be the only knife said experts would take into the woods and then here on the show we've got guys going the distance with a cheap condor kukri, or a mora companion. Kind of a sucker punch to my pride and ego too because I like my nice fancy gear too, but obviously I'm focusing too much on equipment rather than skills.

Alone the same lines as what's already been mentioned though, some of the people are really hurting on knowing how to use a ferro rod, let alone how to make darn sure you don't loose the thing. I have a hard time believing there's a good tinder pile ready to go when someone is just sitting there scraping the heck out of their giant ferro rod for minutes on end without success. Then again, that's just me saying that from behind a keyboard, but something I took away from a pathfinder basic class was that if you have to scrape your ferro rod more than 3 times you don't have your tinder pile processed enough.

I'm impressed at how the quality of the contestants has gone up with each season. Season 3 has had some real contenders that could have really given the season 1 champ a better run for his money. I'd like to see a season of all the winners going head to head, but raise the final prize to something that blows away the current half million.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Cant remember if I already posted this or not so if I did I'm sorry for the redundancy.
    If ya got the time this guy has done an experimental survival study keeping track of how much weight he and his buddy lost after living off what they could obtain from the wilds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbm5gO2P-3U

They lost an average of 1/2 pound a day if I recall correctly while eating as much pike, berries, and greens as they could stuff down their throats. The thing they lacked was fat. Without a large mammal kill( deer moose bear or pig) anyone , even highly experienced folks that know what they are doing cant keep the weight on. He calls "Alone" a fasting contest. I used to think a guy could actually live off the land in the wilderness by trapping and hunting small critters, fish and whatever plants they could scrounge. Now I know its not really a feasible option. Couple pounds of lard or butter would go a long way to keeping your waist line and your sanity. My two cents, anyway.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not sorry to see Dave go. Found out he is an associate/friend of someone I Do Not Like, so, yeah, not unhappy that he won't win the prize.

Still surprised Callie made the choice to leave. I like all three of the remaining people, but right now I think the order of finish will be:

1. Megan
    2. Carleigh
    3. Fowler

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Not sorry to see Dave go. Found out he is an associate/friend of someone I Do Not Like, so, yeah, not unhappy that he won't win the prize.

Still surprised Callie made the choice to leave. I like all three of the remaining people, but right now I think the order of finish will be:

1. Megan
    2. Carleigh
    3. Fowler

I'm almost with you. Here's my prediction.

3. Fowler's hunger gets the best of him
    2. Megan's tooth gets the best of her
    1. Carleigh get's her hunt down and gets waterfowl. Wins.

Then again, early I picked Dave with his quirky loner personality. He really got tracked on saving food as he starved and lost his better judgement. Seems like the ones that start trying to heavily play the "conserve to win" angle suffer for it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Cant remember if I already posted this or not so if I did I'm sorry for the redundancy.
    If ya got the time this guy has done an experimental survival study keeping track of how much weight he and his buddy lost after living off what they could obtain from the wilds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbm5gO2P-3U

They lost an average of 1/2 pound a day if I recall correctly while eating as much pike, berries, and greens as they could stuff down their throats. The thing they lacked was fat. Without a large mammal kill( deer moose bear or pig) anyone , even highly experienced folks that know what they are doing cant keep the weight on. He calls "Alone" a fasting contest. I used to think a guy could actually live off the land in the wilderness by trapping and hunting small critters, fish and whatever plants they could scrounge. Now I know its not really a feasible option. Couple pounds of lard or butter would go a long way to keeping your waist line and your sanity. My two cents, anyway.

I'm not a diet expert by any means, nor will I ever claim to know all the science behind it. From what I've seen on the show, they are basically on a Paleo type of diet. I will say thought that my wife and I went on a "Paleo" type of diet that was very restrictive within the last year and we both lost lots of weight. After seeing our success in loosing weight my mother, & sister went on the diet and both lost weight. After seeing their success with it, my In Laws went on the diet and right now my father in law is down almost 90 pounds, with my mother in law not too far behind him.

Now, not to make us sound like a bunch of severely overweight people but we all went from looking like parents to looking like we're in shape and a lot of that comes from the "clean eating" of Paleo. Personally I don't trust the FDA or many of the foods or medicines that they approve. It's no wonder why when people get away from packaged and machine produced food that they loose weight, and fast.

I don't mean to go on a healthy eating/diet rant, but I can see how these people are loosing the weight they are without getting in too bad of physical shape. There's a big difference between the feeling of hungry and the feeling of just not having eaten in the last couple hours.

Having said all that, yeah Dave took it way too far. He was getting a little delirious and playing with his health without any real reason to do so. Eating half a fish every other day when you're out in the wilderness just isn't thinking clearly. I think once he sees the video and sees that he was mentally on a downward spiral then he'll understand why they pulled him off the show.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The captions on the show said that one of the symptoms of mental deterioration due to starvation is hording food. If that's true, that's exactly what happened to him.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The captions on the show said that one of the symptoms of mental deterioration due to starvation is hording food. If that's true, that's exactly what happened to him.

I don't care how skinny a guy is, eating half a fish every other day is not a way to stay at your best. It was his race to try and run it however he pleased, but seemed like he started off with one strategy, and then turned his game plan into a true just trying to survive and barely hang on kind of thing. I did feel a little bad for him when he was begging them to let him eat his fish that he had that were ready to go, but I understand why they pulled the plug on him. That was a tough call for someone to make, but I think they did the best thing. It could have been avoided had he eaten half the fish he had put up for storage.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I was pulling for one of the ladies to win, but I understand how and why things worked out the way they did. 87 days alone and still going is pretty amazing. Honestly, I think anything more than 2 or 3 weeks is pretty outstanding, let alone how many people made it as far as they did. The reunion show afterwards was a nice touch.

Top Bottom