• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    i try not to listen to anyone who talks in absolutes. If you say you dont like a certain pistol and why, ok, got it. But, if you say, its not a 1911 (or Glock, or Ruger, etc) then its crap, sorry, tuned you out. I feel the same about religion and politics. Both have goods and bads for all the sides involved. To say if you arent my religion, then you are an idiot, yep, sorry, not listening. So, would be a huge waste of money to take a class that Im not listening to. From the videos I have seen, that was all i needed to know. Does he put out some good information? I have a feeling that he does put out some, or he wouldn't still be building his business. But, i have very limited training funds and even more limited time, so i will go to a school that will teach me a way to shoot, acknowledge that there are other ways to shoot, but this is why they like this one more. I have no problem learning new techniques, as I know that I do not know them all, or even could learn a better one. But to be told the rest are crap, well, ive been there myself, got the tshirt, so apparently what i did, wasnt too bad.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I've never taken a class from them, but I'd like to one day. I can't say that I agree with everything that Yeager says, and I think that his style is a little abrasive, if I only train with people who I agree 100% with then it's just going to be me alone at the range.

For now, I'm going to focus on some of the local training that we have available in the Indianapolis area. My goal for next year is to take one training class from three different trainers. I've only taken one class so far, but the trainer encouraged us to seek out training from people other than just himself. As I progress, I will end up finding what works for me, and what doesn't, and will be better for taking training from people who I may not agree with.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Never been to TR but I have talked to other people who have trained there. All of those people thought TR was a good experience. So there is my unexperienced and ignorant contribution to this discussion.

I feel that this was probably the only somewhat constructive post in this thread so far.....

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I'm fine with him, I am also on his site along with others

If I had the $, I would go for a class or two with him

:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Never heard what he said but if he was talking about the Galil, I was never impressed with that weapon at all. And I have extensive experience with them in S. America. And those IMI Jerichos are literally some of the worst pistols I've ever seen adopted by an organization. I guess they couldn't get enough Bersas or Ravens to supply everyone?

But, again, what does this have to do with his training?

The Galil? Work out the dates when Mr Yeager started making youtube videos and ask yourself if that was the IDF's choice for a battle rifle at the time. What does it have to do with his training? It's quite simple. This is an uncredentialed, non degreed business. We have every right to seek out BS. He sells his training on his "expertise" therefore his expertise is wide open to criticism.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I feel that this was probably the only somewhat constructive post in this thread so far.....

:D I typed it sort of tongue in cheek. ;)

To be fair:
    1) I do not have any actual experience with TR or Mr. Yeager.
    2) The people who I have met that have actual experience were very positive about the quality of the product they received.
    3) Mr. Yeager is an interesting personality on You Tube. I would actually like to meet the gentleman in real life. My guess is that he is a good guy.
    4) I like his videos whether I agree with them or not. I think some of his opinions are very good. Plus I do not mind when people have a difference on opinion.
    5) I do not like a lot of cussing in You Tube videos. It serves no purpose and I can't watch them with my kids in the room. If he wants to cuss on the range that is his business and I would not be offended by it if I was a student. We are all big boys/girls here.
    6) I agree with bwframe in that the picture of the cameraman down range made me nervous. I understand we work in a 360 degree world. I also do not know the context/situation in which that picture was taken. I have made mistakes on the range with my gun handling. But that picture alone gives me pause about attending a TR class.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I agree with bwframe in that the picture of the cameraman down range made me nervous. I understand we work in a 360 degree world. I also do not know the context/situation in which that picture was taken. I have made mistakes on the range with my gun handling. But that picture alone gives me pause about attending a TR class.

Thousands of pages of text have already been written about the advantages/disadvantages or safety/unsafety of having anyone forward of "the firing line". I'm not going to reignite that debate.

I will say what I've always said: if you cannot shoot a target next to a target that does not need to be shot you need to seriously rethink carrying a gun in public. Nobody wants to hear that and I'm sure I'll get the same "brilliant" lowbrow responses that INGO is famous for regurgitating.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will say what I've always said: if you cannot shoot a target next to a target that does not need to be shot you need to seriously rethink carrying a gun in public. Nobody wants to hear that and I'm sure I'll get the same "brilliant" lowbrow responses that INGO is famous for regurgitating.

No lowbrow response from me and I will defend your position right now. I agree with you in that it if one of us finds the need to use a gun it is likely the "target" will be close or next to a "non-target". I also agree with Mr. Yeager in that none of us will rise up to the occasion but rather will perform to the our level of preparedness/training. But I have also seen very experienced shooters send a bullet the wrong way.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

f4e31c9f.gif

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    But, frankly, the members of this forum's expertise is of no concern to me. I'm not trying to convince anyone, just answering the question.
    (And I don't mean just the people on this forum. The opinions on this forum increasingly carry little weight as I see the pinnacle of intellectual discussion around here revolves around "Can I strap an AK on my back while I pick up some milk at Wal-Mart?")

This has been sticking in my craw for a few hours now........

INGO is a place for ALL gun owners. Old and noob.
    Yes, some have no idea where to start, they can learn here.
    Will they get ribbed?... possibly.... :whistle:
    Will they learn? Yeah they will.

Will they learn on a Tier 1 - Leet operator - solder of fortune - tommy tactical site you seem to prefer?
    Probably not.

The high and mighty attitude comes off pretty lame and does a disservice to gun owners in general.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    wow, everyone thinks firefights are 360 degrees? then your tactics SUCK. You do not know how to maneuver, use cover (not concealment, there is a HUGE difference), or to have a "friend" or someone else with you. A little situational awareness can go a long way, just like a couple preventative measures.
    As for people shooting near targets, I seem to remember a school awhile back, and EVERYONE said that they were idiots for making students shoot near other students, so they could get used to shots going near them, and concentrate on shooting their own targets.
    So, lets get this straight, you want people to shoot 360, then freak out when you are at the range and someone is waving their firearm around clearing something? Well, you shouldnt be worried, maybe hes had the tacticool class, so he was just trying to help you out. (sarcasm in there, somewhere)
    Personally, i think you should be picking a course and class to teach you something that would realistically help you. Would it be awesome to learn how to rappel down the side of a building, blow the window off, jump in and shoot targets???? Heck yea it would be awesome, but realistically, would never likely. Learn how to drive and shoot like James Bond, again, awesome, but not likely to do.
    Maybe, a class in the aftermath of a shoot, or a class about what is a good shoot and bad shoot, so that way you arent getting yourself into bad situations. But, guess thats just my 2 cents.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    wow, everyone thinks firefights are 360 degrees?

Maybe, a class in the aftermath of a shoot, or a class about what is a good shoot and bad shoot, so that way you arent getting yourself into bad situations. But, guess thats just my 2 cents.

360 firefights? Maybe, maybe not. But we do live in a 360 degree world with stuff happening all around us. Hence all the threads on INGO about muzzle up vs down and the necessity to carry using quality belts and holsters.

Just for the record Mindset Lab offers classes that discuss just what you suggested. Shay does an excellent job.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    360 firefights? Maybe, maybe not. But we do live in a 360 degree world with stuff happening all around us. Hence all the threads on INGO about muzzle up vs down and the necessity to carry using quality belts and holsters.

Just for the record Mindset Lab offers classes that discuss just what you suggested. Shay does an excellent job.

Understand that they CAN happen in 360, but once again, should probably be moving to actual cover right away, or put your back against a wall.

Awesome, had not heard about Mindset labs doing a class like that. I know Massad Ayoob group does one as well. Those would be the courses that I would think more people would be good. After all, like i said, the ninja classes are good, but when you are on trial for self defense, might not look as good then. And having those classes, make it look like you are preparing responsibly for what WILL happen if something happens.
    Although, the zombie killing classes will always be fun to shoot and think about.

Top Bottom