which one would you choose? 338 RCM, 325 WSM, another one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    So which one would you choose for an all around, ELK to DEER to Moose, to Bear cartridge?
    338 Ruger Compact magnum, 325 wsm, even a 350 Rem, Mag. , what about the 300 wsm, or another one, Just really trying to figure out some meaningful differences.

Ammo availability is a consideration to while traveling.

I appreciate the thoughts here.

I will probably reload for it too.

thanks,

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im not a big fan of the short mag series. i was elk hunting and a guy in camp shot a elk in the sholder with one. the bullet didn't penetrate the sholder blade at 225 yds (i think it was 225 but if not thats close)

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    OOOOH!!!! Pick me!!!! .338 win mag all day long. If I had to get rid of all of my guns except one, I would keep the .338.......well maybe not but pretty damn close! You really can't go wrong. If you are talking grizzley bear, I would probably step up to a .375 H&H but if it's just black bear the .338 has plenty.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I think the old 30-06 would do everything you want and still be able to find ammo for it about anywhere. Just keep your shots inside 300 yards.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    So which one would you choose for an all around, ELK to DEER to Moose, to Bear cartridge?

Ammo availability is a consideration to while traveling.

If your bears include browns:

375 H&H

End of Story.

The more whiz-bang you go, the less chance of finding something appropriate to feed it once you get out there, if your ammo decides to take a different flight...

If browns aren't on your short list, I wouldn't feel undergunned, or be worried about ammunition availability with a .338 WM.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Of the ones your list, 338 RCM, just cuz it looks interesting to me... as for things not on the list...

7mm-08 would be my "everything from deer to moose" gun.
    Can't go wrong with 30-06 either.

but as others have said... if that includes BROWN bear I'd be looking for something else.

If you are going to reload, then the world is your oyster, and I might try something like .338-06

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Well see I am rather old school myself. I have three O6's and one 308, 25-06.
    been talking to some and looking at reloading manuals, the numbers are pretty good.
    Plus the guys I have talked to say the recoil is much less than the 30-06.

Guess I'll just stay with what I got,. Here I was trying my best into needing a new rifle and I don't need one.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    More important than which cartridge you pick is which bullet. The 325s and 350s will suffer from marginal bullets, but anything in 30 or 338 or 375 will be fine.

A good 30 caliber bullet (say, TSX) out of a 308 or a 30-06 is suitable for any North American game at usual hunting distances, with the exception of brown bear. This goes double with handloads, which can be pushed into factory 300 WinMag performance areas.

Pick something with bullets proven good that you can shoot comfortably so you'll practice a lot.

Top Bottom