• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I plan to buy a 22lr suppressor here ... like this week when my 22lr upper comes back from Tactical Solutions, which is.. today. :)

1. WHY is the Thompson so much cheaper.. there must be a reason beyond the name. Materials? Sound levels?

Many of the above mentioned guesses are actually pretty correct. TM is a two man operation on Richards property. Richard Thompson is the owner and his employee & right hand man is Brooks. Thus low overhead.

Thompson Machine suppressors are made with steel tubes as opposed to being 100% aluminum or titanium which also lowers cost.

Many of the TM cans are coated as opposed to anodized which lowers cost but is very durable.

As for sound levels, I am not ashamed to shoot TM cans next to any manufacturer out there, including those pumping out $500'ish (plus $200 tax) .22LR cans.

2. the Tactical Solutions 22 SBX upper, SAYS it allows 1" OD cans, but the Zephyr XL is listed at 1.125. When the upper comes back I will mic it and find out how close to the "cage" that will be, does anyone have any experiance wether this can be done or not?

I think we have a couple of these at BGF. If so I will put a ZXL and a Z in one and take some pics for you. Give me a couple days on this.

3. The "Difference" between the Zephyr and the Zephyr XL sound wise... perceptible?

Due to pure volume, the ZXL is a tad quiter. As for seeing over sights, you would be suprised. I have had no trouble at all seeing over the sights of every .22LR I have ever put a ZXL on, including P22's, Mosquitos, GSG 1911's, Ruger MkII's, TacSol Paclite's ect...

HTH

Thanks guys.

:):

Gunruner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I just had one of the guys from Huntington Arms come to my place and demo a couple of their cans.

I don't have any pics either, but I was impressed enough to order a bunch.

At the moment, they are producing a can using K-baffles and can be taken apart very easily. I shot this can and it's sound quality is there with the TAC65's.

When I get them in stock, I will start with a blow out sale of $159. After that, they will probley go to $200 each.

The other can utilizes a single piece baffle core, like the YHM Mite. It's first round pop was a little loud, but after that it sounded nice. I didn't get a price on that one yet.

The great thing about these guys, they're in-state. If you had a problem with your can, you can drive to them and they will fix it while you stand there.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Welp I measured the inside of that upper, its 1.092.

So apparently the ZXL wont work, I will have to either look at the original Zephyr, or that 22Sparrow really is looking pretty neat.

All the other 22 silencers dont seem to offer much over the Zephyr, but that toolless take apart shield thing looks pretty sweet on the 22Sparrow.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

So apparently the ZXL wont work, I will have to either look at the original Zephyr, or that 22Sparrow really is looking pretty neat.

All the other 22 silencers dont seem to offer much over the Zephyr, but that toolless take apart shield thing looks pretty sweet on the 22Sparrow.

Sorry, I have been slammed at the "real job" and have not been able to head to the shop after work yet this week. We do have a bbl like yours in the shop though so before Friday I will have pics of a Z and a ZXL in the bbl.....promise.

Between the three your cosidering you can't go wrong!!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Great topic! I just picked up a savage fv-sr tonight and I'm trying to do my homework on getting my first suppressor. The problem I have is that it's a bunch of "He said" "She said" on what's better. Surely there have there been some real tests that have used the same gun with the same ammo using different cans wiht a microphone of some kind that can quantify which suppressor is the most quiet.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I am wanting to get my first suppressor so I thought I would start with something small. I have a walther p22 already so which suppressor would you recommend for the money?
    I purchased my Zephyr from SSNFA and mounted on a 22/45 with a paclite upper. So far, I have been a happy camper. I might start looking into getting a can for my AR 15. Corey took care of all my paperwork. All I needed to do was pay and wait. In fact, I really did not wait that long. Leave it to SSNFA (Corey) and your in good hands

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

Got it done today and I get home and my internet is down!!

I will go over to the in-laws and post it in a bit. Im posting this from my phone and dont know how to copy and paste from photobucket on it.

Only the zephyr would fit. The zephyr xl was to big in diameter.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I just ordered my first stocking dealer order from SilencerCo. Six Sparrows and three Osprey, looking at 5-7 months for production and delivery time. :(

I also ordered a test can from Huntertown Arms, so hopefully the Form 3 will go in on that in the very near future.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County

Taaa-daaaa!! The Thompson Machine Zephyr

2011-02-11_13-17-38_7341.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom