• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have two Colts, a series 70 Comander and a New Colt Defender (thanks Substance-P, do you miss it yet).

You just can not get better than a Colt for a good shooter and a gun that will always be worth what you paid for it. Even when Osama is gone, I meant Obama.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I have two Colts, a series 70 Comander and a New Colt Defender (thanks Substance-P, do you miss it yet).

You just can not get better than a Colt for a good shooter and a gun that will always be worth what you paid for it. Even when Osama is gone, I meant Obama.

I'm with you. I think Colts make great guns (especially if you want to build on to the gun later on...there is a reason why so many pistol smiths prefer them as a base for builds). The resale value is unsurpassed by anything other than the semi-customs and custom 1911s.

Now about that defender...I am beginning to miss it and may have to arrange a time to meet up at the range and put a few rounds through it for old times sake...:)

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Substance-P you are welcome to come and shot with me anytime. We can even bring along the 22's with a silencer just for fun.

Back to the OP Subject, I have three 45 pistols. One is the XD45C for the capacity and wanting a composite pistol that works. The other two are Colt and I can't imagine anything that is a better starter gun. They work out of the box and you can accessorize them to your hearts desire.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I am wanting to get a 1911 for a shooting gun and not a carry. Wanting to get someting that I can build on if choose to fine tune but also something that can shoot as is. Was looking RRA and Springfield but not set on anything yet. What would you get? Why? anything I should make sure whatever I get has?

And then once you help me out with which one where should i go look for it. Missed a RRA at the show from PSS when i went back to a different table to look at something else.

I'm a big fan of the Kimber Pro Carry. The ultra carry is nice for carrying, but if that's not an issue, go with the pro.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    ill be picking up a Rock Island Armory 1911 soon hopefully and ive heard much good of them.

-zack-

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    maybe a little confused but want a 1911 even more now.

A good next step in the process is to try and handle/shoot as many 1911s as you can. You will find this helps you determine what features are worth the additional cost to you. Elmore's in Greenwood has the most extensive local collection of 1911s for sale and it may be well worth the trip to see them in one place and examine the difference between them.

Good luck with your search. The way 1911s tend to go, your first won't be your last ;).

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Just bought a Fed Ord pistol on Gunbroker. This twice I have bought 45s that were throated by a butcher. So much metal has been removed that they will barely feed ball. The other one is a AMT Hardballer. They will not work with GI mags at all. I am in need of a welder to weld up the throats and then I will have to cut new ramps. The Fed Ord one has a Colt NM barrel. It is so loose at the mouth that the brass is ruined. Hard to see these little things on the computer screen. I think I will go back to buying in person.

Top Bottom