• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hello,
    I've lived near Fort Wayne my whole life and I've never found a place to go and just aimlessly hike through a woods. Do any of you have any suggestions?

I'm getting the pre hunting season itch to get outdoors and I'd like to cover some ground. I've never really hit the state parks and I'm not familiar with them at all. I just feel like doing some hiking though. Any suggestions?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Chain of lakes state park has some nice easy hiking through the woods trails that will take you to some of the lakes and you can rent canoes and paddle across the lakes and through the creeks that link them together. Great place to go and really enjoy the outdoors and its within 20 minutes of the Fort.

hammeralan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Danville, IN
    I live in Roanoke and I go to the Huntington reservoir. Its about 20 minutes south of Fort Wayne. I have seen a lot of people with their pets out there so I don't think there are any laws against it.

behinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Decatur
    There are a number of places around FW, Fox Island is a very nice place, Huntington Reservoir, Salamonie Reservoir, Pokagon, Oubache State Park in Bluffton, Etc.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well we went for a hike at Chain O Lakes yesterday. I was surprised at how nice the roads were there. The hiking trails where a little harder to find, but maybe that's because we're rookies at this. My wife had our child in a harness and I had a little backpack with water and baby supplies. Our dog absolutely loved it and was kept on a leash the whole time. We walked a little over a mile and it was nice.

Thanks for the heads up on it!

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you want to stay in Fort Wayne, you could always go to the Lindenwood Nature Preserve. It's right around the corner from St. Francis University and has some really nice trails for hiking.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Huntington rez, is great. This time of year I would stay on the North side if you are not hunting (safe zone) the mountain bike trail is about 12 miles long. If you travel the southside you will find some great terrain. Just be careful around dusk and dawn this time of year it is bow season here in a couple of days. Dogs and people can be targets to hunters with out skills.

Some threads from romping around down there with pics and video. PM me if you want to join us on our next ruck.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/14924-hunt_and_ruck.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/19341-aar_of_the_tactical_response_winter_survival_class_january_17-18_in_indiana.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_events/39739-aar_bug_out_hike_6_11_09_a.html

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I'm a member of Izaak Walton, they have a range, skeet/trap, archery, a pond to fish, camping and if I'm not mistaken about 25miles of hiking.
    Me and the family go walking/hiking frequently. It's off Tonkel Rd, N of Dupont Rd. If you ever want to take a look we can go!
    It's a great family place to do a lot!

Top Bottom