• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Looking to figure out where to get some Narcan. Want to add it to my two first aid kits, as well as at my church.

Got to see it work first hand today. Lady OD'd in her car as it was pulled over to the side of the road. While we were summoning help a lady in the passenger seat of a passing car leaned out and handed one of the people working on the lady two inhalers. (Mars Hill. So it wasnt a stretch to guess why she was passed out.) She got out and helped administer it. Not judging, but by the looks of it, she's around users frequently. May have been one at one time. She was an angel, no doubt about it.

I got off the phone with 911 and went to the passenger side and opened the door. She still had labored breathing and a weak pulse.

About a minute after they gave her the hit, while I was checking her pulse, I could feel it getting stronger, and her breathing improved. about 2 minutes later she opened her eyes. About that time I saw the fire engine approach and left her in the care of the other lady and flagged them down. By the time they walked up she was talking. Lead firefighter was a bit of a prick to her, but probably rightly so since he knew a passerby just pulled her butt back from the brink. (and probably not the first time)

That was enough for me to see. I dont want to rely on somebody happening to drive by. So how do you get it?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I declined having it around. Personal reasons.
    You may be a better man than me. Of course, that's a low bar.
    To each their own.
    It should be available OTC shortly. Here is a article from the FDA approving it for OTC.

Googling around, its already available behind the counter without a script. But given that I want 6*, Im really not into shelling out the reported $300 cash price for that quantity.

*2 each for each kit. The angel that gave us hers said sometimes it actually takes 2 to be effective depending on what they took.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Eskenazi Health Center on W 38th St ( 5515 W. 38th Street ) has a Narcan vending machine that is free. Its open 6 days a week. Go through the main doors and take a left, head toward the end of the hallway and you will see the machine. Take as many as you want/need. There is even a sticker on the machine that tells you to take several because sometimes more than one dose is needed. I stopped in there one day when I was in Indy and loaded up. I couldn't find any in my county, and I tried several places in Indianapolis that I found online but none of them had any. The vending machine at Eskenazi had at least a hundred packages in it. It was a bonus I didn't have to talk to anyone to get some.

I got some for both of my medical bags. I mostly carry it in case of accidental exposure to fentanyl, but honestly if I ever came across some stupid kid that needed it, I would use it. Its unlikely I will ever need but its free and I can't see any downsides of carrying it.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Weren’t epipens the subject of a big scandal with one of the pharmaceutical companies a few years back because of how much they were charging for them? Kinda doubt they’re free but it would be nice if they were…

As for narcan, I read a post over on SnipersHide about a few road workers in Chicago that were given some bottles of cold water by someone as a “nice gesture” that wound up being laced w/ fentanyl. One’s dead, the other is critical. Having some narcan around might have saved them. I plan to track some down myself soon, as well as revamp my med kits which are sorely out of date by now. Hoping to get some medical training this year too, but we’ll see.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Weren’t epipens the subject of a big scandal with one of the pharmaceutical companies a few years back because of how much they were charging for them? Kinda doubt they’re free but it would be nice if they were…

As for narcan, I read a post over on SnipersHide about a few road workers in Chicago that were given some bottles of cold water by someone as a “nice gesture” that wound up being laced w/ fentanyl. One’s dead, the other is critical. Having some narcan around might have saved them. I plan to track some down myself soon, as well as revamp my med kits which are sorely out of date by now. Hoping to get some medical training this year too, but we’ll see.
    Short Story, Joe Manchin DEM WV Senator Daughter bought the Company or became Exec and Immediate Huge Price Increase for the lifesaving pen. Controversy, but as always, faded out and still OVERPRICED. Anyone, feel free to add or subtract my take.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I think the NARCAN has a shelf life. Just something to be aware of if you have it in a personal first aid kit
    Frequently Asked Questions about NARCAN® (naloxone HCl) Nasal Spray
    Shelf-Life Extension and Updated Storage Conditions
    What is NARCAN® Nasal Spray?
    • NARCAN® Nasal Spray is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of a known or suspected opioid
    overdose emergency with signs of breathing problems and severe sleepiness or not being able to respond.
    • NARCAN® Nasal Spray is to be given right away and does not take the place of emergency medical care.
    Get emergency medical help right away after giving the first dose of NARCAN® Nasal Spray, even if the
    person wakes up.
    Please see Important Safety Information below
    Who should not use NARCAN® Nasal Spray?
    Do not use NARCAN® Nasal Spray if you are allergic to naloxone hydrochloride or any of the ingredients in
    NARCAN® Nasal Spray.
    What is the new shelf life of NARCAN® Nasal Spray?
    NARCAN® expiration will now be changed from 24 to 36 months.
    Will current, on-market NARCAN® Nasal Spray’s expiration be extended an additional 12 months?
    The FDA has approved the 36-month shelf-life after completing a comprehensive review of data which included all
    versions of NARCAN®. Since this study was conducted using all versions of NARCAN®, any product previously
    released with a 24-month shelf life can now be extended for an additional 12 months.
    What are the updated storage conditions for NARCAN® Nasal Spray?
    Current Label: Store NARCAN® Nasal Spray in the blister and cartons provided.
    Store at controlled room temperature 68°F to 77 °F (20°C to 25°C).
    Excursions permitted between 41°F to 104°F (5°C to 40°C).
    Do not freeze or expose to excessive heat above 104°F (40°C). Protect from light. NARCAN® Nasal Spray freezes at
    temperatures below 5°F (-15°C). If this happens, the device will not spray. Leave the device at room temperature
    for 15 minutes to thaw the medicine before use.
    New Label: Store NARCAN® Nasal Spray in the blister and cartons provided.
    Store below 77°F (25°C). Excursions permitted up to 104°F (40°C).
    Do not freeze or expose to excessive heat above 104°F (40°C). Protect from light.
    NARCAN® Nasal Spray freezes at temperatures below 5°F (-15°C). If this happens, the device will not spray. If
    NARCAN® Nasal Spray is frozen and is needed in an emergency, do NOT wait for NARCAN® Nasal Spray to thaw.
    Get emergency medical help right away. However, NARCAN® Nasal Spray may be thawed by allowing it to sit at
    room temperature for 15 minutes, and it may still be used if it has been thawed after being previously frozen.
    Important Safety information for NARCAN® Nasal Spray
    What is the most important information I should know about NARCAN® Nasal Spray?
    NARCAN® Nasal Spray is used to temporarily reverse the effects of opioid medicines. The medicine in NARCAN®
    Nasal Spray has no effect in people who are not taking opioid medicines. Always carry NARCAN® Nasal Spray with
    you in case of an opioid overdose.
    1. Use NARCAN® Nasal Spray right away if you or your caregiver think signs or symptoms of an opioid overdose
    are present, even if you are not sure, because an opioid overdose can cause severe injury or death. Signs and
    symptoms of an opioid overdose may include:
    • unusual sleepiness and you are not able to awaken the person with a loud voice or by rubbing firmly on
    the middle of their chest (sternum)
    • breathing problems including slow or shallow breathing in someone difficult to awaken or who looks like
    they are not breathing.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Short Story, Joe Manchin DEM WV Senator Daughter bought the Company or became Exec and Immediate Huge Price Increase for the lifesaving pen. Controversy, but as always, faded out and still OVERPRICED. Anyone, feel free to add or subtract my take.
    Granddaughter is allergic to several foods - and has needed a epipen several times

Brand Name Epipens are ~$700 pk/2
    Generic Epipens are ~$200 pk/2
    Shelf life is 12-16 months

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Your tax dollars supply every ems unit with narcan. I see no reason that you shouldn’t be able to get some there. You did pay for it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Whoever designed this wasn’t thinking about convenient carry. The shape is awkward and it comes on a card with a blister pack. Sheesh.

Edit: this YouTube cartoon makes the product look bigger than it really is so maybe it’s not as awkward to carry as I thought. I’ll find out because I think I’m picking some up this afternoon.

And wow, $120…

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also, I’d like to add EpiPens or equivalent to my kits. It looks like there’s several generic alternatives available at reasonable cost. How do you get one without a prescription?

My wife is allergic to bee stings, but not severely enough to get a prescription. But I have heard the effect is cumulative, and if stung enough times, it could be a life-threatening emergency.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom