where to get Driven well points and other water items?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    try the web site for Backwoods Home Magazine. I subscribed to it for many years and do remember several good articles on various ways and means of DIY water well drilling etc.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    We tried this last year. Word to the wise, be sure to use the right couplings. We were driving a well and one of the lengths of pipe broke off right at the threads.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You may want to call Mr. Weller at Weller Well Digging in Salem. He did my well about 10 years ago. I'm not sure if he carries supplies for DIY drilling, but he does (or at least did) carry pumps and the like. Per Google, the telephone is (812) 883-2789.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Menards and Tractor Supply both carry them. I've driven 5 points so far. I have a lot of experience with sandpoints.

Get an Iwan Auger ($70, http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/adjust-augers.htm) to dig down initially, it will make installation of the sandpoint MUCH simpler. We augered a 20' deep 7" hole down the the water table in about an hour, installed a 4" casing, then hammered the sandpoint another 8' in another hour. It also makes removal of the sandpoint simple. We spent about 50 hours over one summer to hammer one through sandy loam down 15' and ended up stripping one of the joints and had to abandon that point because it wouldn't maintain suction. This was before I bought the auger.

The Iwan auger is also the easiest fencepost digger you'll ever have. Get regular NPT threaded pipe for extensions rather than their extensions, it's cheaper.

Last edited:

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I think Tractor Supply carries an assortment of well equipment &accessories.

excellent. Went there and they had them on clearance. Got a 1 1/4 inch 36 inch and a 48 inch for 6.99 and 9.99. They are only effective to 25 feet but at that price I thought it was worth giving it a try.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    excellent. Went there and they had them on clearance. Got a 1 1/4 inch 36 inch and a 48 inch for 6.99 and 9.99. They are only effective to 25 feet but at that price I thought it was worth giving it a try.

They are only effective for suction on the pump side up to 25' or so, but they can be driven further and if a down-hole positive pressure system is used it can be used for deeper wells. I know of some that have been driven over 80' and used.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    They are only effective for suction on the pump side up to 25' or so, but they can be driven further and if a down-hole positive pressure system is used it can be used for deeper wells. I know of some that have been driven over 80' and used.

tell me about a down-hole positive pressure system

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    tell me about a down-hole positive pressure system

They are like pitcher pumps but instead of the piston being in the head of the pump it uses a drop rod down the well and the piston is lower down.

Water*|*Water Pumps*|*Deep Wells*|*Large-Capacity Windmill Head Pump - Lehmans.com

This one is for a 4" well, but they make them for 2" pipe as well. You can also make a shaker pump out of any diameter pipe. Essentially it's a pipe witha check valve on the end. Drop the valve end into the water then shake the pipe up and down and you can pump water. If it's really deep you might want some bungee to help with the lift part of the cycle.

Last edited:

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    They are like pitcher pumps but instead of the piston being in the head of the pump it uses a drop rod down the well and the piston is lower down.

Water*|*Water Pumps*|*Deep Wells*|*Large-Capacity Windmill Head Pump - Lehmans.com

This one is for a 4" well, but they make them for 2" pipe as well. You can also make a shaker pump out of any diameter pipe. Essentially it's a pipe witha check valve on the end. Drop the valve end into the water then shake the pipe up and down and you can pump water. If it's really deep you might want some bungee to help with the lift part of the cycle.

How about for 1 1/4 inch?

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Try substituting polyethylene tubing instead of rigid pipe for the "shaker pump" concept. The poly tubing can also be fitted with a check-valve assembly. The tubing will be much lighter to "work".

Driven wells work best and are most common in really sandy areas with a shallow water-table. Also, watch out for driving a well near any septic field areas!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Never driven one here in IN, but they are illegal to use in MN and some other places unless it is for farm use....In MN we had to sign a document stating the intended use and register it just to purchase one.....Soooo, we got it in WI! Dug a hole first to save work, neighbor had a backhoe, then rented an electric jackhammer for a few hours and drove that sucker right in! I guess my Great Grandmother used to "witch" wells for friends and family with willow branches and she taught my Dad the "skill". Not saying it doesn't work, but it took pops 3 tries to find the "sweet spot".

Top Bottom