Where do you get 16.5 inch tires now days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have a '75 GMC pick up that is pretty much junk but I still drive it to dump trash and for hunting sometimes.
    It has special 16.5" rims. I have no idea why.
    the total value of the truck is probably no more than $400.
    Last Saturday I got a flat and ruined the tire.
    I have ONE spare and it is on the truck now.
    THEN I find out that NOBODY except Firestone makes 16.5" tires and they want like $300 each for them.
    Long story short, I got a flat and totaled my truck. LOL :rockwoot: :D

Does anyone here on INGO know of a used tire place / junk yard that would carry something like that?

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Try TireRack.com. They had several 16.5" sizes for about $200 per plus shipping. Not much better, but a little. Other than that, maybe try Pull-a-Part or a surplus store (apparently the military runs a lot of stuff on 16.5"s).

INLIKEFLYNN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Speedway
    I can help you if your ever in Indy. Check for a local Best One retailer in Bedford. www.bestonetires.com They should be able to help. Not many options left, but I know BFG makes an A/T TA KO for around $200/tire. Retreads may be an option, but most were limited to OTR trucks, not your average pass/light truck.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    surf Craigslist or hit all your local junk yards . 16 inch 8 lug used tires and wheels are much cheaper than trying to find a new 16.5 tire.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I can help you if your ever in Indy. Check for a local Best One retailer in Bedford. www.bestonetires.com They should be able to help. Not many options left, but I know BFG makes an A/T TA KO for around $200/tire. Retreads may be an option, but most were limited to OTR trucks, not your average pass/light truck.

Best One? Isn't that the old Tieman Tires place? It's been way too long since I been back home...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The 16.5 inch wheel was very common until about the late 1980's. Any kind of 3/4, 1 ton truck had this size. A 15" wheel most likely will not fit because the rear brake drum is big. You might be able to use a 16" wheel/tire combo. Just measure the largest part of your brake drum.

A junk yard might be your best bet.

Good luck.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Any 8-lug wheel from mid '60's to 2010 will bolt right up, get on craigslist and find a decent set of 4 8-lug wheels and tires and you will be good to go.

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    If the truck will fit some larger tires (and I do mean larger), surplus HMMWV tires are available. size 37x12.5x16.5

Not sure where you can get these locally, so shipping might be a killer even thought the tires are rather inexpensive.

Top Bottom