Where do we go? Now ALL IDNR RANGES CLOSED?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Only been to Wilbur Wright one time a couple of years ago. It was a total mud hole. Hope it's been improved. I live on the south side of Indy and we go to Crosley F&W near North Vernon. Usually not many, if any, shooters there early on weekdays. About an hour and a half from Southport but worth the drive when I need to shoot 200 yards.

still somewhat of a muddhole on Thurs
    & only 25y 50y & shotgun

plans to pave walks around benches...
    will still be muddhole placing your targets.....

great Idea ..... I use TIngley weather-tuff stretch overshoes 10" work boot.

expensive at $30 but I got 2 for one deal @ Meijer a few yrs ago.

keep one pair in veh. and use them almost everytime I shoot...

Works great and I try shooting every week all-year

YMMV

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    You can also get the Tingley overshoes at Tractor supply. I got mine at the TS in Hobart on RT. 30, east of Southlake Mall for $20 last fall.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    You can also get the Tingley overshoes at Tractor supply. I got mine at the TS in Hobart on RT. 30, east of Southlake Mall for $20 last fall.

that's great price.
    I bought them when I asked a local meter reader who was wearing a pair while walking thru snow & slush why he was wearing slip-on "rubbers" instead of rubber boots.
    He said they are light weight slip-on & slip-off quick and last well.
    They are great. I even hunt with them as they can keep boots dry from "dew" in early mornings Spring turkey & Fall deer too.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    . . .
    He said they are light weight slip-on & slip-off quick and last well.
    They are great. I even hunt with them as they can keep boots dry from "dew" in early mornings Spring turkey & Fall deer too.

They also are great for keeping your feet warm in winter. That is my main use, but you can slip them on over just about any kind of shoe to make them waterproof.

Ok, now back on topic - anyone visit Winamac since the one day closure? I am thinking about going tomorrow.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Indiana Gov. needs to re-open IDNR FWA Gun Ranges on Wednesday 4-1-2020.
    Just got email update from GOA, gun owners of america that SHOOTING RANGES & personnel running them arr essential and need to be open.

President Trump’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has revised its guidance of critical infrastructure to include the firearms industry as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.

The guidance specifically includes “[w]orkers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges” as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.

Contact Information:
    Name: Brad Feaster
    Phone: 812-455-8260
    Email: BFeaster@dnr.IN.gov

Everyone please let IDNR FWA need to be OPEN NOW. the are ESSENTIAL as grocery & gas stores

Last edited:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Indiana Gov. needs to re-open IDNR FWA Gun Ranges on Wednesday 4-1-2020.
    Just got email update from GOA, gun owners of america that SHOOTING RANGES & personnel running them arr essential and need to be open.

President Trump’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) has revised its guidance of critical infrastructure to include the firearms industry as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.

The guidance specifically includes “[w]orkers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges” as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.

Contact Information:
    Name: Brad Feaster
    Phone: 812-455-8260
    Email: BFeaster@dnr.IN.gov

Everyone please let IDNR FWA need to be OPEN NOW. the are ESSENTIAL as grocery & gas stores

That notice is advisory only - it does not have any force of law.

Link to Full Text of CISA notice

Excerpt from the notice:
    This list is advisory in nature. It is not, nor should it be considered, a federal directive or standard. Additionally, this advisory list is not intended to be the exclusive list of critical infrastructure sectors, workers, and functions that should continue during the COVID-19 response across all jurisdictions. Individual jurisdictions should add or subtract essential workforce categories based on their own requirements and discretion.

The test about ranges is listed under "LAW ENFORCEMENT, PUBLIC SAFETY, AND OTHER FIRST RESPONDERS" and states:

Workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges.

It may also be read that those types of locations may only be open if they serve "LAW ENFORCEMENT, PUBLIC SAFETY, AND OTHER FIRST RESPONDERS".

So this is not a Presidential Edict that requires local governments to throw open gun shops and ranges. It's a very strong recommendation, but it is only a recommendation.

I don't think that shooting at an outdoor range should be treated any differently than talking a walk, riding a bike, or jogging. Use proper precautions and it is probably safer than going to the grocery store.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    lets see if IDNR gets FWA gun ranges open soon.

Please contact IDNR see above post for Bfeaster@dnr.IN.gov
    & phone

My hope is that everyone that wants the IDNR FWA supervised gun ranges be OPEN as they were on 3-19-2020 after closing for just one day to install plastic tops on benched & seats for easy cleaning; contact bfeaster@dnr.IN.gov or call Brad
    to let them know how you feel!

BTW I believe you can be safe and enjoy this very difficult time.

YMMV your mileage may vary

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    BTW,

legal "headers" rarely mean much

I don't know of many law enforcement Manufactures or Retailers for that matter.

And yes it is Advisory as Classification by DHS as an Essential Business which is Safer than my local grocery or gas station

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    looks like back to square ONE!

Got reply email from IDNR today.

Brad Feaster says IDNR FWA will follow
    governor's directive and remain closed without respect for DHS advisory.

So, All supervised DNR FWA gun ranges ......Closed. Until Further Notice.
    He said two ranges with shops are open on appointment only.
    Atterbury FWA Range shop only 2 hrs Sat. & Sun. appointments only.

So, I hate indoor ranges, they are probably "not as safe, just like grocery stores & gas stations.

Private ranges don"t look to add new members until further notice it seems.

I hope for the best.;however, I am back to my intial thought of A LONG CLOSURE is standard operating procedure for our IDNR..

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Thanks for keeping up with this. Definitely not what we need. And yet there was an article in yesterdays News & Sun about the state parks being open for all. Go figure.

MegaTank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Goshen
    I am in Northern Central near SB. If anyone knows of a place that I could go to plink around a bit let me know. I will keep checking back on this thread.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I am in Northern Central near SB. If anyone knows of a place that I could go to plink around a bit let me know. I will keep checking back on this thread.

Try State Forest. none near you though.
    Map link:
    https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/3631.htm

I was able to hunt morels & take a rifle, small box and hearing/eye protection at Owen putnam state forest. Had to hike a steep hill for about 45 mins. to get out of the safety zone.
    Saw no morels. bumped one gobbler that was by himself.
    Just lost interest in plinking but checked scope & had pleasant time as temp was 64 deg.

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    FYI: follow-up on state forest safe zone.
    gun must be unloaded. I carried mine in a case.
    hunting morels was fun. but everything was "dry" very little green.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Never been so glad that I am lucky enough to have private property to shoot on at my leisure, and without worry of crowds of people.
    My "long-range shooting" property is an hour from the house so I haven't been in too long.
    Mainly because I've had transportation issues. Hopefully that will be remedied this week.
    If so, I'll be down there this week.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    With pact governor signed with the devils...MI. IL. WI. KY. MN...... except for OH.
    and only OH has Republican with any sense.......and is opening May 1st or so....
    Looks like it will probably be November before IDNR FWA ranges will open...

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    yep. I know this now probably belongs in the "Politics threads" or something......
    but not looking too promising....

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    I looked online (IDNR) and despite being in a state of condition #2, they don't say state (public) ranges are open. They also don't say the ranges are closed. Any recent word on status of ranges?

Top Bottom