• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    When we moved to Indiana, I loved the fact that the area we ended up in (Sellersburg/Charlestown) was so much like where we grew up in West TN. Rural, plenty of open land, not woke-as-****. Once we got settled, I realized one glaring difference: WHERE ARE ALL OF THE OUTDOOR RANGES? I'm used to shooting at my parent's house growing up, but the only place I can find to shoot within about an hour is American Shooters in Clarksville, which is great, but I much prefer outdoor shooting. There's the Clark State Forest, but I've heard not-great things about it. Does anyone know of any hidden gems or anything? I'm getting desperate to get out and run-n-gun!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Oh, I'm so excited for their new range. We moved up riiiiight as they lost the last one :( I'm gonna join once they get set up, but I still need to shoot til then lol
    If I were in your shoes, I'd join Silver Creek now, if they are accepting new members. The membership fees will help them get going sooner and your support will be much appreciated. After is is completed, there will be a flood of people wanting to join. There are other shooting ranges, but they just shoot at set distances from a set position.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    If I were in your shoes, I'd join Silver Creek now, if they are accepting new members. The membership fees will help them get going sooner and your support will be much appreciated. After is is completed, there will be a flood of people wanting to join. There are other shooting ranges, but they just shoot at set distances from a set position.
    I might shoot them an email. I'm not sure they're accepting new members yet, since they technically put all membership on hold when the range closed (if I remember correctly). At this point, I honestly wouldn't mind set position shooting, just to hold me over. This really came to a head because I got my SKS back together, but don't want to drive an hour to shoot just because I only have steel cased.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When we moved to Indiana, I loved the fact that the area we ended up in (Sellersburg/Charlestown) was so much like where we grew up in West TN. Rural, plenty of open land, not woke-as-****. Once we got settled, I realized one glaring difference: WHERE ARE ALL OF THE OUTDOOR RANGES? I'm used to shooting at my parent's house growing up, but the only place I can find to shoot within about an hour is American Shooters in Clarksville, which is great, but I much prefer outdoor shooting. There's the Clark State Forest, but I've heard not-great things about it. Does anyone know of any hidden gems or anything? I'm getting desperate to get out and run-n-gun!

Not sure how far you are from here.
    There is a range here open from 0900 -1700 Wednesday-Sunday.
    Last time I was there they have a 25, 50, 100, and 200yd range, and it is free, or use to be.

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown

Not sure how far you are from here.
    There is a range here open from 0900 -1700 Wednesday-Sunday.
    Last time I was there they have a 25, 50, 100, and 200yd range, and it is free, or use to be.
    I was looking at that one too.... It's only about 45 minutes away, so I may try to head up there and check it out this weekend.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I've considered it, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of required NRA membership to join. I just feel like there are better orgs to support.
    Yeah I agree unfortunately I'm a life member of the NRA - I'd like to get that money back - but the upside is I'm literally 3 minutes away from Southern Indiana pistol and rifle. So at least they're right down the road even if I have to be stuck being an NRA member. I'm also a member of Silver Creek. Looking forward to being able to shoot once we get our shooting bays built

matbmorr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2021
    Charlestown
    Yeah I agree unfortunately I'm a life member of the NRA - I'd like to get that money back - but the upside is I'm literally 3 minutes away from Southern Indiana pistol and rifle. So at least they're right down the road even if I have to be stuck being an NRA member. I'm also a member of Silver Creek. Looking forward to being able to shoot once we get our shooting bays built
    Yeah, I'm really excited about Silver Creek. I remember they mentioned membership dues going up, do you remember how much they're going to be when they reopen? The new range is only about 15-20 minutes from us.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Yeah, I'm really excited about Silver Creek. I remember they mentioned membership dues going up, do you remember how much they're going to be when they reopen? The new range is only about 15-20 minutes from us.
    It's going to be about 300 bucks a year. The upside to it is now that we own our own property you're going to be able to shoot rifles once the range is built. It's not cheap but we own our own land

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sorry, if I drift. I never thought that sweat equity was a bad idea for a club. Everyone wants to shoot, but the same few people always seem to do the majority of work.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Sorry, if I drift. I never thought that sweat equity was a bad idea for a club. Everyone wants to shoot, but the same few people always seem to do the majority of work.
    I agree 100%
    As with most clubs.
    5% do all the work
    90% are OK with that and are fine with things as they are.
    The others only complain(usually online or behind their backs) about what the 5% doing all the work are doing, while they are not helping.

This is a problem at most of the clubs I have shot at and seems to be getting worse with many having the consumer attitude. They think that if they pay they don't have/need to help.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Clark state forest is not too bad…, going on weekdays cuts down on the “hay y’all watch this” crowd….. DNR has been patrolling it more lately, and enforcing the daily fee ($5 per day, or $25 year) so not too bad….

Top Bottom