• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Match heads is what some of my troopers did to keep ticks off of them. They would eat the match heads, the sulfur in the match heads acted as a deterrent to ticks. I really didn't like the taste of the matches, so cannot gauge its effectiveness.

Many troops swore that it worked, especially once you started sweating the sulfur out.

Please don't do this people

rherron9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with tick problems. I've never found one on me until this year. So far each of my mushroom hunting trips has resulted in me feeling like I have a colony of the things on me.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    i have been mushroom hunting several times so far. i havnt had one tick on me. maybe they just dont like me. lol

Kloutz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    In the center of it all
    For those concerned with lyme disease that ticks are carrying...This year vets in Indiana have seen about a 500% rise in lyme positive tests on pets coming in the month of April. It can be transmitted in about 48 hrs of attachment.

Stay lyme-free my friends.

Are there many reports of people being infected with lyme disease here in Indiana? I had heard that it is not a big problem here. Any truth to this?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Spray your clothes with permethrin, let it dry then wear them. This is a huge way to defend against ticks. I always spray my outdoor clothing and tents too.

Permethrin is the best product for your lawn as well and it hammers ants. Same goes for any fogged you use indoors, again permethrin wins the day.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Are there many reports of people being infected with lyme disease here in Indiana? I had heard that it is not a big problem here. Any truth to this?

My dad's best friend recently died after a long fight with Lyme Disease. It went undiagnosed for years and by the time they discovered he had it, his mind was completely shot. He finally tied a concrete block around his waist and jumped in the reservoir. His widow has it now, too. It is communicable between humans.

There are two young men in my church, brothers, who have it. It's horrible. One is doing much better now but still can't do college level schoolwork. The other is still decimated by the disease. I saw him a few months ago and he looked like a zombie. He had to have people walk alongside him to hold him up and he was slack jawed and drooling and staring off into space. He's doing better now thanks to aggressive antibiotic treatment but there will be serious permanent consequences for both of them.

I have another friend who caught it a few years ago but his wife is a nurse and recongnized the symptoms. He was able to get immediate antibiotic treatment and seemed to suffer no serious consequences.

From what I understand the disease is spreading and growing rapidly. Be careful out there!

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    I posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too.

Anything with Permethrin in it works far better that any bug spray with deet for ticks. Most bed bug sprays contain Permethrin and work great for applying like regular bug spray.

http://health.thefuntimesguide.com/2..._for_ticks.php

Rain is exactly why they are this bad. They thrive in bigger rainy seasons. Since it was the 2nd rainiest season in Indiana recorded history, you can imagine the ticks are gonna follow suit.

For those concerned with lyme disease that ticks are carrying...This year vets in Indiana have seen about a 500% rise in lyme positive tests on pets coming in the month of April. It can be transmitted in about 48 hrs of attachment. So make sure you are checking those pets. Also remember, that you can get a lyme vaccine for you're pets for around $30 or less from most vets.

The best way to safely remove a tick (fire excluded) is to use dove hand soap or even better...a cotton ball dowsed in alcohol as it will cause the tick to release plus disinfect the area all at the same time.

Stay lyme-free my friends.

Thanks for the tips and info !

Evidently single malt scotch, absinthe, and custom-craft beer. I drink that and the ticks seem to leave me alone. I've had two on me this year and I'm outside on our property (woods, ravines, meadows, ponds) all the time.

ETA: My wife gets them constantly. She can pick 5-6 off of her after our hike and I have none.

I'm a scotch drinker and they still came after me !:):

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Is it just my area or are ticks everywhere? Today I found two crawling up my jeans after going outside and I wasn't even in the brush or tall grass. Yesterday my son came in from the trampoline looking like an Indian princess with a tick latched right in the middle of his forehead (It was kind of funny in a gross way). I've been pulling them off the dogs every day. I've never seen them this bad and its so early I'm scared this is going to be a long itchy summer.
    Nasty here in the Berne/Geneva area also ! i spread ortho bug b gone around the house today hope that works !

On the same subjest just a little thread drift ! i would use the garden duster on the outside dogs and cats to keep them flea and tick clean ! but it sure is messy !

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    We know they are everywhere, I'd like to know all the ways you all get them off once they latch onto you!:(

get a tick key. they work great!
    tick_zps2fa15811.jpg

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    It looks like Indy Gander has them according to the website. Now I have a problem. Do I go into Gander or not?!? Also I found it on several websites.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use Rural King's Termite and Carpenter Ant killer around the house and on my cloths, it contains permethryn.

As an experiment I wore white cloths and no repellent making my rounds checking trail cameras, picked off 63 in an hour.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    So what is the best product to use around the yard to keep them at bay ?
    I have had great success with Spectracide Season Long Insect Control. I have used it for several years and it also keeps the fleas down as well. I have four dogs and before using this was only able to defeat the fleas with monthly spot treatment on the animals, which I really don't like to use. Haven't had fleas for three summers. Also controls ants.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom