What's the worst idea in automotive engineering?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worst idea?

• Total voters

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I just spent the weekend trying to change the brake pads on my truck. Several hours were spent on the problem of a stuck Torx bolt. I have concluded that GM's engineers are the most evil and sadistic bastards on the face of the planet.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I can't narrow it down to 1 specific thing but, I voted for the Torx. I simply hate what all of them have done in general to cars. When I was younger, I could fix almost anything on any car. Now they make it so you have to pull the engine to do almost anything. They have invented new ways of securing things so that you have to have a "special factory tool" to do just about anything. And there is no damn room under the hood anymore!

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Torx bolts in awkward locations with a thorough soaking of red Loctite make it very possible to strip a Torx head. Thanks BMW.

On a separate note: I think FWD V8s are an abomination (hello Northstar).

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I hate the overly complicated coolant and vacuum hoses that are used on cars these days.

There used to be 4 coolant hoses. Engine in and out and heater in and out.

They could definitely make it less complicated by integrating it into the castings instead of having so many external components.

Different fasteners don't bother me. I actually like internal hex or torx bolts as they're much less likely to strip out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, torx is right up there. My Jeeps are littered with them. They get cut off and replaced with a hex head. I say cut, because it is nearly impossible to remove them w/o stripping the head.

On my Jeep TJ, replacing the oil pressure sensor requires that the passenger's side motor mount be completely removed. Replacing the sensor takes all of 60 seconds, once everything ELSE is out of the way (about 2 hours of cussing).

My wife's Saturn's oil filer is right above the front sub-frame. It is impossible to remove w/o also removing the right-front tire, and you will still dump oil on the A-arm.

Also heard that to change the oil in a "Smart" car, the rear motor mount must be unbolted and the engine rocked forward! Great design.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Walled Lake, MI
    Have you seen anti tamper torx?

51SA-KCze-L._AA300_.jpg

21lkX27tnsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Different fasteners don't bother me. I actually like internal hex or torx bolts as they're much less likely to strip out.
    Seriously? I strip those damned things all the time when they're stuck, and once they're stripped it's game over. With a normal bolt head, you can at least get some vice-grips or a nutbuster or something and still turn it.

I used an entire can of penetrating oil on this stupid thing, tried cranking it seven different ways, eventually pulled the other bolt and disconnected the brake line and STILL couldn't get it to budge with the caliper completely removed.

The really stupid part of the whole ordeal is that the front calipers are attached with Torx bolts, but the rear calipers have normal bolts. WTF.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Seriously? I strip those damned things all the time when they're stuck, and once they're stripped it's game over. With a normal bolt head, you can at least get some vice-grips or a nutbuster or something and still turn it.

I used an entire can of penetrating oil on this stupid thing, tried cranking it seven different ways, eventually pulled the other bolt and disconnected the brake line and STILL couldn't get it to budge with the caliper completely removed.

The really stupid part of the whole ordeal is that the front calipers are attached with Torx bolts, but the rear calipers have normal bolts. WTF.

That's not a problem with the torx. That's galvanic corrosion between the caliper thread and the bolt.

No matter what kind of head was on the fastener, you were going to pull the threads out of the caliper.

Use the blue wrench on it, and I guarantee it'll come out easy as pie.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You guys obviously aren't old enough to remember the Vega!!!!

Aluminum cylinders.

This wins hands down as the dumbest idea ever.

Forgot about the vega.

Everyone just trashed the 4 and then put a 350 in there since it was basically a straight bolt in swap.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We had a Vega growing up. Mom carried a couple gallons of water everywhere we went. We always stopped 1/2 way to my grandparent's house to let it cool down and she would add more water. It was maybe 2-3 years old at the time?

My dad had a Corvair. Cool looking car, but full of WTF engineering.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just remembered something.

JIS screws. HATE HATE HATE THEM!!! Mostly because I won't pony up the dough for a JIS screw driver set.

Top Bottom