• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Hi

I have a question that I hope I can get an answer to. If I bought this [URL="http://www.forsterproducts.com/Media/forster-manual-2007.pdf"]Press [/URL]what else would I need? They do not offer a kit so I must know what I need and I do not yet. They said I need to order dies from another company due to the fact that they do not make them for pistols. Is a separate dies needed for all three calipers that my Ruger fires? ( .32 HR Magnum, .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long .327 Magnum. What about scales, primers, powder, etc.
    If anyone knows the answer to this question I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
    Jim:patriot:

P.S.
    Sorry about the bad links, they should be fixed now.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    link is bad.
    what brand press maker does not make pistol dies?

depending on what you want to get out of reloading..
    you need ;
    a press, dies, a way to seat primers, a way to measure powder....

some folks get by with just powder dippers..
    i would suggest a balance scale at least....

then you might want some case prep stuff..
    & maybe a factory crimp die....

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Press
    Dies
    Powder measure of some sort. If you use the Lee Powder Dippers, you won't HAVE to have a scale right away. If you use another form of powder measure, you'll need a powder scale.
    If the press didn't come with a primer, you'll need a way to prime the cases.

That's the bare bones. Lots of goodies you can add from there.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I believe you can use the same dies for all the listed calibers. A set of Lee (cheaper) RCBS (some say better) or any other brand for that matter in .32 H&R mag should be all you need for dies.
    You will need a scale which can be had for less than $50, in fact I just gave 1 away to a guy just getting started.You will need a shell holder if the die set does not come with it (Lee includes it). But most important you will need a current reloading manual. If you read this it should answer most of your questions. I really like the Lyman manuals, I have Hornady 6th and 7th editions, Lee 2nd edition, Lyman 47th and 49th edition, and a new one from Acurate powder. I use all of them too. But the Lyman seems to be the most useful and informative so far.
    You can also check out Sinclair International - Specializing in products designed for precision rifle ammunition reloading and shooting for lots of info and some very smart guys when it comes to reloading. I have just started and by no means am no expert just passing along what I have learned in my short time.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I got started using a Lee anniversary reloading kit. It has almost everything you need... you still have to buy a case length gauge and dies, and you should get a reloading manual. You should also get a case tumbler and some walnut media from petsmart; etc.
    MidwayUSA - Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

I have since moved on to a Hornady progressive press and have upgraded pretty much all of my equipment from the Lee stuff. It's good enough to get you started, but you may grow dissatisfied with the quality over time and single stage presses sure are slow.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I actually answered this question in more detail on another forum, and finally found the post. Here's a cut and paste of the answer I gave to a similar question, from the basics to some nice goodies to have.

List 1, just the basics to get started:
    Lee Hand Press kit (included Ram Prime & powder funnel)= $37. This particular press was chosen because it's portable, and I didn't have a work bench or reloading bench. Lee does sell a work bench mounted single stage press for about the same amount.
    Lee Powder Dippers = $10
    Lee Carbide dies (includes shellholder) = $26
    If you already know how to reload, you can get reloading data from the powder companies via the web.

There's the very basics, for $73, using current prices from Cabella's. Shopping around, I'll bet you could beat those prices at places like Midways USA.

As time goes on, you'll want to add to the above list to make reloading easier, more precise, to increase the flexibility of the loads you can make, etc.

So, List 2, everthing I've accumulated over time
    Lee hand press kit = $37. I've got a place to work now, but the press works just fine so I haven't seen the need to replace it.
    Lee carbide dies = $26 per caliber
    Lee factory crimp die = $16 per caliber
    Lee Perfect Powder Measure = $22
    Lee Safety Powder Scale = $22
    Hornady powder trickler = $11
    MTM universal reloading trays = $8 ea You can make reloading blocks yourself with a piece of wood and a drill, but these MTMs are nice if you want to treat yourself.
    Lyman 1200 Pro case tumber = $51 You don't absolutely have to have one, this is my first and was an anniversary present, but it turns out to be really nice. The brass is pretty, which makes it easier to inspect, and it's easier on my carbide dies. Worth the coin when you have a little extra, IMHO.
    Cabella's calipers = $22 You'll want a pair of calipers pretty soon. It was the first thing I got when expanding beyond the basics.
    Lee primer pocket cleaner = $2
    Cabella's bullet puller = $25
    Add in a couple of MTM cartridge boxes for the finished rounds, and you are right at $250. Add in a couple of reloading manuals (because the internet is fine and dandy, but the manuals have more info than just load data and you should buy some as soon as you can) and you've got a very nice reloading setup for about $300 at today's prices (I looked 'em up as I typed.) It'll pay for itself in the first 25 boxes or so of ammo.

Now, if $$$ are really tight, you are loading for a caliber they are still made in, and you have a place where you can do some hammering without bugging anyone, the Lee Classic Loader has everything you need to reload ammo for about $20. It's not fast, but it's plenty easy to make a box or two of ammo throughout the week. They aren't made in .40 S&W, though
    frown.gif

If you've got about $130, the Lee kit linked below from Cabella's, and a set of carbide dies and a factory crimp die, would be a nice set up to get started with.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's interesting that you want to start out reloading the one of the newest cartridges on the market, the .327 Federal Magnum. It is a very high pressure round. AFAIK no one is making dies for this caliber right now, although some are reportedly using .32 H&R Magnum dies to accomplish this. Jumpng in to reloading, wanting to reload for the .327 Federal Magnum is a big bite to chew for a novice. As someone new to reloading, I'd advise you to load one of the lesser calibers that you can shoot in this gun until the manufacturers come out with dies and reloading data for the .327 Federal Magnum. You might be able to reload all the calibers wiht .32 H&R Magnum dies. To be certain, you need to contact one of the manufacturers of reloading dies, like Lyman or RCBS. The shell holder is most likely the same for all calibers. If your goal right now is to shoot your revolver inexpensively, then loading some target loads for .32 H&R magnum or .32 S&W Long using cast bullets will serve you well. Later on when you have more experience and dies and reloading data are available for the .327 Fed. Mag., you can load for it.

Although Forster makes quality equipment, it is relatively expensive. These presses generally sell for over $200.00. You would be better served IMHO to buy a kit like this:
    MidwayUSA - RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

Here is a list of reloading equipment I put together a few years ago:

Reloading Setup Checklist
    · Reloading manual
    · Press
    · Dies for each caliber (Dies included with Dillon Square Deal Only)
    · Shellholders or Caliber Conversion Kits as appropriate
    · Powder Measure (included with Dillon presses)
    · Powder Trickler
    · Scale, balance beam or electronic
    · Case Tumbler
    · Media for Tumbler
    · Case Lube (not absolutely necessary if loading with carbide pistol dies)
    · Case Lube Pad
    · Case Trimmer (Not necessary for straight walled pistol cases)
    · Case Deburring Tool (Only if getting Case Trimmer)
    · Vernier Caliper (Dial or Digital is easiest to use)
    · Loading Tray/ Loading Block (Only if using single stage press)
    · Primmer Flipper
    · Bullet Puller

Top Bottom