What we know about the state of the permitless carry law going into effect July 1

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So I scroll through it, seems pretty straight-forward.

Covers this pretty good.

Who is prohibited from possessing or carrying a handgun?

Yes it is illegal to carry under ConC under the same circumstances it is under the current licensing system... since carrying without a license got a mark-through in what became HEA 1296.

The law also makes it a crime to carry a handgun unlawfully. This could be a misdemeanor offense or felony, depending on the circumstance.

Oh wait, hostile media, that's redundant. Let's dig up the stuff from last Spring:

Hey Chris! The criminals seem pretty emboldened right now! Pinner v State 2017 ring a bell? And are you OK with knife, car, fist, or bat violence?

“It’s going to embolden those that are already illegally possessing weapons to walk around freely with them, knowing that law enforcement has limited opportunities to engage them, especially if they’re not involved in any other criminal activity,” Bailey said in the March report. “Those who are prohibited from holding a weapon are going to be able to do so freely without many checks in law enforcement, and that’s not very good for our community since we are combatting gun violence all over.”

Hey Doug! Call West Virginia and see how they do it! West Virginia and Kentucky figured it out and you can't?? That is embarrassing!!

Policing in Indiana is at a crossroads, and more people are leaving than are coming, and there’s only so much that we’re going to be able to do,” said Carter. “With the applicants that we used to have who would apply to carry a handgun in Indiana, we’re not doing mental health checks anymore.”

Misleading as ****. At the HB 1369 hearings in 2021 the pro ConC LEOs testifying outnumbered the antis.

Not all law enforcement officials were against the legislation. Hamilton County Sheriff Dennis Quackenbush told FOX59 that there was no evidence in the 24 states that have already passed permitless carry laws that officers face any additional danger.

I'll stop now or I'll have to double up on my blood pressure meds!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    So I scroll through it, seems pretty straight-forward.

Covers this pretty good.

Who is prohibited from possessing or carrying a handgun?

Yes it is illegal to carry under ConC under the same circumstances it is under the current licensing system... since carrying without a license got a mark-through in what became HEA 1296.

The law also makes it a crime to carry a handgun unlawfully. This could be a misdemeanor offense or felony, depending on the circumstance.

Oh wait, hostile media, that's redundant. Let's dig up the stuff from last Spring:

Hey Chris! The criminals seem pretty emboldened right now! Pinner v State 2017 ring a bell? And are you OK with knife, car, fist, or bat violence?

“It’s going to embolden those that are already illegally possessing weapons to walk around freely with them, knowing that law enforcement has limited opportunities to engage them, especially if they’re not involved in any other criminal activity,” Bailey said in the March report. “Those who are prohibited from holding a weapon are going to be able to do so freely without many checks in law enforcement, and that’s not very good for our community since we are combatting gun violence all over.”

Hey Doug! Call West Virginia and see how they do it! West Virginia and Kentucky figured it out and you can't?? That is embarrassing!!

Policing in Indiana is at a crossroads, and more people are leaving than are coming, and there’s only so much that we’re going to be able to do,” said Carter. “With the applicants that we used to have who would apply to carry a handgun in Indiana, we’re not doing mental health checks anymore.”

Misleading as ****. At the HB 1369 hearings in 2021 the pro ConC LEOs testifying outnumbered the antis.

Not all law enforcement officials were against the legislation. Hamilton County Sheriff Dennis Quackenbush told FOX59 that there was no evidence in the 24 states that have already passed permitless carry laws that officers face any additional danger.

I'll stop now or I'll have to double up on my blood pressure meds!

Out of all the nonsense they spew, this one absolutely pizzes me off. They are admitting to stopping people who have done nothing wrong, just because they have a gun. They are now mad that they can't stop someone that is NOT involved in criminal activity.

:ugh::xmad:

Geez, I wonder why officers are leaving faster than they're coming in. It's a real head scratcher.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Out of all the nonsense they spew, this one absolutely pizzes me off. They are admitting to stopping people who have done nothing wrong, just because they have a gun. They are now mad that they can't stop someone that is NOT involved in criminal activity.

:ugh::xmad:

Geez, I wonder why officers are leaving faster than they're coming in. It's a real head scratcher.
    "Professional laziness"...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, wait... ISP is currently performing stops merely with the presence of a firearm for license checks? Really?

Pro tip: people actively committing crimes are the bad guys. People NOT actively committing crimes are the good guys. The presence of a firearm is not exactly relevant, unless it is being used to commit the crime.

Pro tip #2: If you see someone carrying a firearm, and they are not committing a crime, they are pretty likely NOT a prohibited person. A prohibited person will either be committing a crime, OR you won't see the firearm they are HIDING FROM YOU.

LE in 20-something other states have figured this out. SURELY ISP is smart enough to do the same.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Fox59 reporting is pretty pitiful.

It would be nice if they actually tried to educate the public on the law. That however; would be useful, so it's not allowed.
    "Pretty pitiful" is giving them too much credit. They failed to mention that on 1 July a misdemeanor titled "unlawful carry of a handgun" goes into affect. The same level charge as "carrying a handgun without a license" and will be applicable when coming across a criminal, committing a crime, which is why the Police are there.

This isn't the news, this is propaganda.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    "because without a database of permitholders, they’ll be in the dark about whether a driver has a gun"... Professional laziness- plain and simple.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    ******* ********!!!! There goes the Tourette's again... My comments in blue.

(Per ISP 7 April 2022 there were 1,221,850 active handgun licenses in Indiana. There is no requirement to OWN a firearm if you have a LTCH. There is no requirement to CARRY a handgun if you have a LTCH. The database of individuals with active LTCHs ain't goin nowhere!)

because without a database of permitholders, they’ll be in the dark about whether a driver has a gun.

(HOW???!!! Will the felons who set homicide records in Marion County become even more violent? Wait, they have, SINCE YOU'VE BEEN THE PROSECUTOR!! Nobody got murdered last night because it was too flippin hot to go out and kill anybody.)

Mears says he’s worried the repeal of the permit requirement will make violence worse.

(I don't even know where to begin here. Possessing a machine gun without the ATF stamp is what, 10-20 years in federal prison? It doesn't matter if you have a LTCH or not. How do you spot "Glock Switches" Ryan? Is it AFTER the individual is detained by LE FOR COMMITING ANOTHER CRIME?? Try prosecuting the criminals who keep getting arrested FOR THE VIOLENT CRIMES THEY COMMIT!!)

And Mears says police have reported seeing more “Glock switches,” a device which illegally turns a semiautomatic handgun into an automatic. Mears says the switches used to be rare in Indianapolis, but says police confiscated eight in a recent two-week period. If officers don’t know up front you have a gun permit, Mears says they won’t be able to spot Glock switches either.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sounds like he is going to use Biden logic (inflation started before Russian invasion, but Russia is to blame for it all), even though gun crime was already exploding, the explosion will all be due to the permitless system.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom