What to look for when revolver shopping.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    In all seriousness, this thread was not started with the intentions of getting into a pissing contest over what make of revolver is better and why any of us think that way. Redhorse was asking what to look for when buying a used revolver. Since some good info had already been posted I made a little joke. Some of us do prefer Rugers over S&W for various reasons. One is the fact that they are built like a tank.

Good luck with your Chiappa Dog1. Glad you like it.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    In all seriousness, this thread was not started with the intentions of getting into a pissing contest over what make of revolver is better and why any of us think that way. Redhorse was asking what to look for when buying a used revolver. Since some good info had already been posted I made a little joke. Some of us do prefer Rugers over S&W for various reasons. One is the fact that they are built like a tank.

Hey back at you..I hear the Armscor wheelgun is ok, once you get past the shrapnel after the cylinder grenades..good luck with yours.:)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Not even sure what to think of pgs. 2 & 3 of this thread.
    The 1st page is full of good advice.
    The biggest things I'd look for, in addition to timing, gas cutting, and general condition, would be....
    did the previous owner TRY too much gunsmithing on it? For newer production guns (say, the last 15 yrs), this would be a big concern for me, since most of the guns are fairly robust.
    Wheel guns from the 60's, 70's, and even the 80's are more likely to show some of the excessive signs mentioned above (cutting, cracking) etc.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

Not even sure what to think of pgs. 2 & 3 of this thread.
    The 1st page is full of good advice.
    The biggest things I'd look for, in addition to timing, gas cutting, and general condition, would be....
    did the previous owner TRY too much gunsmithing on it? For newer production guns (say, the last 15 yrs), this would be a big concern for me, since most of the guns are fairly robust.
    Wheel guns from the 60's, 70's, and even the 80's are more likely to show some of the excessive signs mentioned above (cutting, cracking) etc.

It's INGO. Every thread eventually goes to hell. Some just do it quicker than others.
    The last quote is spot on but I do appreciate all the advice in the beginning. I'm by no means new to revolver shopping but I always want to learn more and usually come here to learn.

Top Bottom