• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Hi

I want to know what must I do in order to sell my pistol to a neighbor and make it legal, so that I never have to worry about it later if used in a crime.
    The neighbor is good but who knows where it may end up in years.

Jim

DJDan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    North Indy
    If you'd like to be VERY safe create a bill of sale with description, S/N, etc. both of you sign it and have a copy each notarized.

May be a bit extreme but if you are concerned listen to your instincts...legally speaking the guys above me are correct.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you are so worried that the pistol might turn into a baby killing machine in the future, have your neighbor sign a receipt of sale so that you have a record you sold the weapon. Other than that, it is like the others have said, if he/she is old enough (18 or older) and does not admit to any criminal history, all it takes is money from him to you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To beat this one more time:

Legally: Take cash. Give gun, if buyer is over 18 and not a known felon.

Extra cautious: Write up a bill of sale and have both parties sign.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    How can you sell a gun that's technically on the bottom of lake michigan?

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Whenever I sold a gun to a private party, I only sold to people with valid LTCH's. I at least then know they passed the required background checks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Whenever I sold a gun to a private party, I only sold to people with valid LTCH's. I at least then know they passed the required background checks.

When a buyer is not personally known to you, this does add an extra layer of protection. (not legally required however)

iloveguns2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    DYER - NW INDIANA
    DON'T go by that last post about a LTCH...I am a firearm lover, but just not interested in concealed carry, so I don't have a permit. I hate it when that's a requirement , if u ask for it , u will miss a lot of quick sales...from good people I might add...

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    To be really safe

If you want to be as safe as possible go to a local FFL and have him/her handle the transaction and do a NICS background check on the buyer. Most of these guys shudder at the thought of any paper trail but millions of transactions thru FFL's take place every year. :twocents:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DON'T go by that last post about a LTCH...I am a firearm lover, but just not interested in concealed carry, so I don't have a permit. I hate it when that's a requirement , if u ask for it , u will miss a lot of quick sales...from good people I might add...

An LTCH isn't just for concealed carry. It's required if you want to transport it (say, to the range).

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    So do you go to the range with your handguns? If so, then you need a LTCH as required by law (as Scutter has stated above).

If you want to be as safe as possible go to a local FFL and have him/her handle the transaction and do a NICS background check on the buyer. Most of these guys shudder at the thought of any paper trail but millions of transactions thru FFL's take place every year. :twocents:
    This is also a possibility, but for people such as myself (under 21) it would be impossible, and you could dissuade some people that would otherwise buy a handgun from you.

:twocents:

dougt06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Just take the money and give him the gun. Once its outta ur hands u should have nothing to worry about.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If they have a LTCH, I trade gun for cash. If not, then I ask for and provide a copy of the drivers license and we both fill out a transfer form.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    What I would do:

If there was a paper trail that showed you purchased the gun from someone in the past, then make sure there is a paper trail in your possession that shows you sold the gun. An easy way would be to have the neighbor pay via check with the gun's make/model/serial number written in the notes section. Keep the check safe forever.

If there was NO paper trail that showed you purchased the gun from someone in the past (i.e. gift or cash purchase), then remove all fingerprints from the gun and sell it for cash only.

Top Bottom