• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hoyos and Punch are my two brands of choice, solid, good value, not pretentious and flavorful. I like La Gloria Cubanos a little more but they got trendy and the prices got unreasonable.

I hate that, btw. Something is put in a Magazine or considered "trendy" pricing goes up and supplies run out. My old store in Dayton could not keep Punch Champions (think of the Springfield Champion, in cigar form, short) on the shelves. We raised the pricing and viola, instant seller (went from 5 bucks a hit, to roughly 7, people still bought em by the gross).

Other popular ones from when I was in cigar selling (that were also nothing huge):
    Maduro Missiles from Rocky Patel (dropped off when rumors of amounia, spelling, being used in aging)
    Bolivars (they had a new series, new to our store, sold out constantly, I acutally liked the aroma, but hated the taste)
    Arturo 8-5-8 ( I forever hate the name 8-5-8, symbolizing internal stacking order in a box, nothing more, but couldnt convice people who would become physically angry that we were out of them and that any other maduro or natural series from Fuente was the same)
    FuenteOpus X (not a smoker's cigar, something so that people can say they have something rare, but it is still a mass produced, very weak soiled cigar that has little taste and poor quality now due to demand).
    Soprano series from CAO (terrible smoke, but popular to non-smokers due to the association with the show, most smokers of these were people that tried to be a master of all trades type, I.e. they knew everything about everything, but knew nothing).
    Fuente Hemmingway Short Stories (could never keep them in stock, poor quality cameroon, dry smoke, very short, not a smoker's cigar, more of an enlarged filterless cigarette, unique shape though attracted folks).
    "Cubans": I hate this concept with the entirity of my soul. I've had more idiots come up to me at parties, after learning I was a cigar man, telling me they had or have a Cuban, or if I could get them one. Upon looking at their cigar, their disappointment was usually high to find they have been lied to or their lie didnt work. A Muniemaker is not a cuban :). My other favorite is when companies use "Cuban seed" as a marketing ploy, getting the average idiot to pony up a few extra bucks for something they thinks is great. Over 90% of all tobacco plants are "cuban seed" as it was the first point for travelers to America for a loading/unloading point. Also, so many people believe them to be a Holy Grail of sorts, not realizing it is all in their head. Most of the cubans I have smoked are very well made cigars, but poor tobacco. Apparently communism in Cuba doesnt understand crop rotation. All in all, its decent tobacco, but terrible taste. If Cuba was allowed to do trade again with the US, it would not be a cigar I ape for from there, but a immaculate Packard (damned beautiful cars).

You did mention the Hoyos, I am a huge Prenesadio fan, which many people see an over 5 dollar cigar and pass, very nice smoke, especially with a good rye.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I never knew there was so much thought and elegance behind cigars. I never really understood why you would smoke something that you are not suppose to inhale. So what is all this about cigars that you people get into them so much?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When coupled with an excellant drinking/eating situation, it is something of an experience, rather than an enjoyment.

Imagine, if you will, owing a hand built Les Baer handgun, custom built Korth Revolver in your possession. That is what a true handmade cigar is like. It is something of beauty, elegance and tradition. Each one is made from the ground up, built specifically and grown (harder than just milling metal) to a certain experience, then enjoyed by the user in a complex yet satisfying dance of elegance meeting precision, along with enjoyment. Truely heavenly chorus accolade the experience of a true cigar moment and one only has to look to their local tobacco shop for a good cigar to begin this journey to perfection.

Sorry, I get a little carried away.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I never really understood why you would smoke something that you are not suppose to inhale...

Ask Bill Clinton?

I haven't had a cigar in years but I went through a brief period of trying some. Always came back to a Punch for personal bang-for-the-buck enjoyment. Tried a few Cubans when outside of the U.S. and did not enjoy them as much. I only purchased mid price range cigars to try comparing the different regional styles and flavors.
    Compared to the afficianados posting here I rank down around "butt sniffer.":n00b:

This is certainly an enjoyable read, though! And melensdad, if you can even break even on a passionate hobby, you are way ahead of the curve!:)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL you guys are funny. I guess I just won't get it until one of those moments comes along. That's ok though. One of these days. Until then I'l continue to enjoy this thread and learn all I can! :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I like a good cigar. I never could afford to smoke good ones regularly. I my bother in-law brought a box of real cohibas from Cuba (I didn't ask and he didn't tell). He passed the box around (I think maybe 50 in the box) and said help yourself. Not knowing any better and having no manners I took several. When I found out later how much they cost him I gave all but 2 back (I had already smoked em ).

A good cheap cigar I can help you for about a dollar each. Black Watch by Robert Burns. Smoked many with a bottle of Blue Nun or Keyser Black Cat label. Think I need to make a little run.
    picture.php

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Incidentally, Epsylum, when are we going to have a smoke sometime, my treat! :) I do mean this in all seriousness!

Call me. T,W,and Th suck for me every week though.

As you know, I don't know jack about cigars, but enjoy them every now and then. I can't even remember half their names most of the time.

I do know my beer though. ;)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Home Mades - I think that they sold for 5 or 10 cents each and the infamous Crook's Soaked in Rum when we were flush with money. They were expensive, maybe 50 cents for the box :D

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    My smoke shop just had a Rocky Patel special event with Rocky himself attending. I picked up some great smokes and won some as well. I really enjoy the Edge lite and the Sun Grown. I have a few OWRs but have yet to smoke one...maybe tomorrow.

Top Bottom