What slugs for 20ga 870 rifled screw in choke?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    Just picked up a 20ga 870 magnum vent rib has truglo sights and came with extra extended rifled choke tube.
    I have always used a fully rifled or smooth barrel. What slugs shoot best out of these?

Barrel says 2 3/4" or 3", no markings on the choke.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I really question whether these rifled chokes aid very much in accuracy. Standard lead rifled slugs seam to work the best in these chokes but I would try a variety and see what your gun likes.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    Unless the choke is screwed in perfectly in line with rifling, something will get messed up. I didn't even know rifled chokes existed, because of that issue.

What barrel does it have on it now?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unless the choke is screwed in perfectly in line with rifling, something will get messed up. I didn't even know rifled chokes existed, because of that issue.

What barrel does it have on it now?

no, they screw into a smooth bore barrel, the only rifling is in the tube itself.

As short as as the tube is, I can't see how it will be very effective. But I've been wrong before.

let us know how accurate it is.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have a youth model 1100 20 ga with screw in rifled choke my daughter used. I found the cheaper sabots like the Winchester standard velocity or the hybrid slugs work the best the high end fast slugs went wild out of it some off as far as 3-4 feet at 50 yards. With that said you will not get the kind of accuracy that you get with a fully rifled barrel. but at 75 - 100 yrds you should be able to shoot a decent group. Try some of the regular rifled slugs too just keep in mind that you only have 3 inches of rifling so it is like shooting a compact pistol.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    rifled slugs with an improver cyc. choke tube will work best. I have an 12g. 870 with smooth barrel and screw in chokes...works best for me

deadeye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Pulaski Co.
    Picked this one up for my boy to use, most likely wont be hitting anything further than 50 yards. Think ill get a few cheap type slugs and try them first cant image the choke doing much for sabots.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The rifled tubes can work well, but when using fosters they can also lead up quickly.
    You'll need to test for cleaning interval.
    People should do that no matter what slug they use (foster or sabot)......even when using fully rifled barrels.

The extended rifled tube I think would be better than flush fit. My old 870 deer Wingmaster was flush fit. I only shot fosters in it and the rifled tube did help.

IIRC Browning had a 5" rifled choketube at one time.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    my first slug was a mossy with a rifled choke tube. I found that the High performance slugs were too much for them. However it shot lower velocity slugs like winchester x and whatnot fairly well out to 100 yds. Not the tightest groups, but minute of deer every time. You could try foster slugs in it as well. No experience with them through a rifled choke tube though. Try some slugs out and see what you get and give us a full range report.

Top Bottom