• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    Looking to try a new round for my .44 lever gun for deer. Have been using Winchester white box flat nose past few years and have been great until shot one deer that ran and left horrible blood trail. 6 out of 7 I have dropped them where they stood or dropped in sight and never worried about blood trail. Is there any rounds that stand out from others or is it just nature of the .44 when shooting deer.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    Sounds like the luck of the draw. Perfect shot placement is only perfect if every organ is where we think it should be. 6 out of 7 drt is a good average. A .44 hole thru and thru is about as good as it gets. I'd give them another shot.

shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    I still have 2 boxes so not giving up on them yet. This seventh deer was recovered but the blood trail was horrible and took forever to find. He actually dropped in his tracks also and I thought he was done and sat back down. 30 seconds later he was Forrest Gump. Where he layed for 30 seconds not a drop of blood. First drop about 20 yards out. Cant really complain just curious really if anyone has gotten better blood trails out of other .44 loads.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I never thought wwb blazed a great blood trail but never had to track one shot with it. I used them for couple of years until I started handloading. I still keep a couple of boxes around. Good solid ammo.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really like Hornady's Leverevolution rounds.
    They work wonders out of my Marlin 1894, but most all of my shots are less than 40 yards too so...

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I've had good success with hornady 240gr xtp bullets. Handloads will/can get some added velocity to bullet & bullet energy. Have also heard some lever guns like hard cast bullets, with the correct diameter.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    6 out of 7 is a good average.

I use the WWB JSP in my old Ruger tube fed .44 Mag Carbine. I never could get the Leverevolutions to pattern well.

B8EF3BD5-4A26-4403-8CDF-6FE5D0A36B18_zpsj80if5se.jpg

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    The 225 gr FTX by Hornady seem to do well for us.

edit...and nice buck there Willie!

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The Hornady XTP HP does a greusome job on deer. Thinking on using the soft point next year. I have some 300 grainers I load into .444 for my nephew. Gonna try them in .44 mag and see how thet group.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Okay, I have to interrupt. Every time this thread pops up in "new posts" and I see the title, my first thought is, "Well, .44 mag. Duh."

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used 265 grain cast and Hornady JHP, good blood trails on both and never lost one.

shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    Okay, I have to interrupt. Every time this thread pops up in "new posts" and I see the title, my first thought is, "Well, .44 mag. Duh."

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

So you are saying just because its a 44 mag some loads wont leave a better blood trail than others, I should know that already, and repeat threads annoy you?

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Another vote for Hornady XTP. I just use the 245gr factory loads. Shot a large body 10 point at 100 yards, no exit wound. Both lungs looked like scrambled eggs...I didn't even need to cut the diaphragm from the top portion of the buck. My dad has taken 5 with the round and none have gone farther than 40 yards.

Top Bottom