• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I have to say my Taurus G3C is my most carried shield. I have well over 2000 rounds and a ton of dry fire training. Not one failure. I have Glocks, Sigs, S&W, but my go to has always been the G3C because if I had to turn it in after a lawful defense it is not one that costs a ton of money if it is confiscated.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have to say my Taurus G3C is my most carried shield. I have well over 2000 rounds and a ton of dry fire training. Not one failure. I have Glocks, Sigs, S&W, but my go to has always been the G3C because if I had to turn it in after a lawful defense it is not one that costs a ton of money if it is confiscated.
    As cheap as they are now, buy a second, break it in, and keep it as a spare...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    When I got my Security Six it was under 400.00 and I can’t begin to say how many rounds have been thru it. Well north of 5000. All .38 spec. Granted most of them have been my 148 gr. FWC, hand loads, but a fair number of REM. 125 gr. +P Gold Saber and Hornady 110 gr. Crit. Def. It’s a tank, can’t remember the last failure to fire, I’m sure it would have been one of my hand loads.

I’ve shot 357+P but not enough to say yea or nay about them. When I’ve had to carry it as a carry gun it’s full of .357 HP. What ever I have/had on hand.

Last edited:

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy North Side
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?
    If you stop by Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield you will find many brands of firearms for $400 or less as they are almost exclusively a used gun store. You will see Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Walther, H&K etc and all of them will meet your price criteria. Myself I would snag the Sig P365 that’s used in the case right now for $399.00 and be the happiest of campers. A slightly used gun defends just as well as a new one for a lot less initial investment and allows you to get a better quality gun at your specified price point too.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When I got my Security Six it was under 400.00 and I can’t begin to say how many rounds have been thru it. Well north of 5000. All .38 spec. Granted most of them have been my 148 gr. FWC, hand loads, but a fair number of REM. 125 gr. +P Gold Saber and Hornady 110 gr. Crit. Def. It’s a tank, can’t remember the last failure to fire, I’m sure it would have been one of my hand loads.

I’ve shot 357+P but not enough to say yea or nay about them. When I’ve had to carry it as a carry gun it’s full of .357 HP. What ever I have/had on hand.
    Good thread reply! I like the GP100 series, built to last. Carried an SP101 for a bit too. A little heavy vs an Airweight J Frame. Both are well made. Loved those Stainless guns.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Good thread reply! I like the GP100 series, built to last. Carried an SP101 for a bit too. A little heavy vs an Airweight J Frame. Both are well made. Loved those Stainless guns.
    Mine is stainless, 4 in. don’t know if the GP 100 was around at that time. I’ve had it for a long time.

And to add to the OP. I would recommend it as a carry piece to anyone, forgot that in my original answer.

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I own two cz p-07’s paid 400 for one and 450 for the other. Both lightly used. So if buying used they can be found in this budget. No a single hiccup from either one at the range. Tons of aftermarket support for “later upgrades” if desired. The p-09, p10, and p10c would also be options from cz to give striker vs hammer fire and full size vs compact options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

GLOCK G17 G5 9mm 4.49" 17rd Pistol w/ Night Sights | POLICE TRADE-IN

$397

1713382070260.png

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A lot of people have to try the latest and greatest.
    Many dump what they got last month for what Youtube this month says is the best thing ever.
    Can find hardly used stuff for good price.

I dunno whats good for 400 bucks and under.
    Think I paid 500 for my P365 new. No complaints either.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I picked up a nearly new 3” SP101 for $500. Rock solid pistol, built like a tank, decent trigger and laughs at 38 spl + p and very manageable with full magnum loads.
    Ya, was just wondering about the current price structure, noted none of the listed FBI testing data was for a revolver. I do know they also have their issues, but don’t see any testing data. :dunno:

Guess wheel guns have gone the way of the dinosaurs. :oldwise:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ya, was just wondering about the current price structure, noted none of the listed FBI testing data was for a revolver. I do know they also have their issues, but don’t see any testing data. :dunno:

Guess wheel guns have gone the way of the dinosaurs. :oldwise:
    My mother bought my father a new Super Blackhawk 44mag for $200 in 1987.
    Gunshop has them for $860 nowadays.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom