• Status
    Not open for further replies.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Finished building my AR. The scope/mount is due in on Friday and the 45* offset sights are in the works to supplement the scope.

We're working on the loan process on a rural property (16+ acres) with a barn/arena and fully fenced that used to be a horse farm.

I've not had good luck with growing plants so I've been easing into it. This year I have one tomato plant, a mint plant and a rosemary plant that I haven't killed.

I have one rifle with the 45 degree sights on it. Kind of odd to use at first but I was surprised at how quickly I could transition from glass to irons. Even though I only have a red dot with no magnification on that one. Just wanted to test it out.

Oh and if you find a way to kill a mint plant post it... I had a couple when we first moved here... they are invasive in some areas. I can't kill em. I keep saying I need to make some tea with them some time... just for fun.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm finding some channels to sell some excess food production, like eggs and vegetables. I figure in the more minor emergency, like severe inflation, that could be a good chain to have in place. And meanwhile it's pocket money.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm finding some channels to sell some excess food production, like eggs and vegetables. I figure in the more minor emergency, like severe inflation, that could be a good chain to have in place. And meanwhile it's pocket money.

You are wise.

A renewable source of goods for sale or barter will never go out of style!

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Diversifying my food, water, and firearms supplies. Stocking extra at trusted sources. Looking into hunting/camping lease but its been rough finding anything that is reasonable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are getting started canning from the garden. Just never motivated to do this.
    SIL has taken this on and is schooling the spouse.
    Looks like I will be putting in more items for canning next year.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Scored a couple more buckets and rearranged some supplies. Also went through pop-up camper (sold) items and divided contents between my other camper and son's truck bed camper. Combined different types of cookers with fuel to match for an easy grab. Inventoried backpacks and other bags and moved to "need" and "want" piles. Started making a list of things to grab (not in bags/buckets) if need to evacuate the house in a hurry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Scored a couple more buckets and rearranged some supplies. Also went through pop-up camper (sold) items and divided contents between my other camper and son's truck bed camper. Combined different types of cookers with fuel to match for an easy grab. Inventoried backpacks and other bags and moved to "need" and "want" piles. Started making a list of things to grab (not in bags/buckets) if need to evacuate the house in a hurry.

Lists are a good thing.

We have a series of Totes that are loaded and at the ready for a fast evac if need be.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I bought a copy of "The Lost Ways". It gives you a really good start on understanding how to party like it's 1599. Seriously, the chapter on making pemmican is worth the cost of the book as it is a very long term storage and nutritionally comprehensive food. Chapters on making various forms of alcohol, mills and primitive gearing thereof, hunting and trapping, making soap, herbs, medication made from foraging in the woods, and a few other topics add greatly to the value of the text. I will probably post more when I have had a chance to read the book thoroughly *Dave laughs at the notion of actually having time*.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Me too. (I'm old and need all the help I can get) lol

Knowing that a back pack was out of the question we switched up to totes.
    We do the seasonal cloths rotation. They are geared for summer right now. Soon enough we will spend an evening rotating to cold weather gear.
    This requires an additional tote.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Knowing that a back pack was out of the question we switched up to totes.
    We do the seasonal cloths rotation. They are geared for summer right now. Soon enough we will spend an evening rotating to cold weather gear.
    This requires an additional tote.
    My "weather" bags are separate and already set up. Both with boots (different types), one with shoes as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My "weather" bags are separate and already set up. Both with boots (different types), one with shoes as well.

Unfortunately we do not have that kind of space to dedicate to this.
    To much other gear.
    The spouse likes helping me rotate the food/water out when we do the seasonal stuff.
    I find things in there I had forgotten about.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I bought a copy of "The Lost Ways". It gives you a really good start on understanding how to party like it's 1599. Seriously, the chapter on making pemmican is worth the cost of the book as it is a very long term storage and nutritionally comprehensive food. Chapters on making various forms of alcohol, mills and primitive gearing thereof, hunting and trapping, making soap, herbs, medication made from foraging in the woods, and a few other topics add greatly to the value of the text. I will probably post more when I have had a chance to read the book thoroughly *Dave laughs at the notion of actually having time*.

Thanks. I may check that out

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Unfortunately we do not have that kind of space to dedicate to this.
    To much other gear.
    The spouse likes helping me rotate the food/water out when we do the seasonal stuff.
    I find things in there I had forgotten about.
    Both of my "weather" bags are in the tool box on the bed of my truck. The food, I place behind the front seat when I drive the truck and then bring it back in when I get home. (Just enough food to get me home if necessary) (6 - 8 hours max) Water in a cooler usually stays, but is rotated often. I may change the winter boots out. We have to wear boots (or shoes) with cleats on them at work if snow/ice on the ground. (Required)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom