• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Mama decided not to keep the chickens. Will butcher when convenient. Out of freezer space anyhow. Now I can take my time modifying the barn.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Just bought a holster for off duty that's the same as my duty holster, but it will go on a regular belt, not a gun belt.

Do the same thing every time and you won't have to think about what you're doing. (That's just for drawing a gun. For other matters, don't get caught in the dreaded feedback loop.)

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    Neat...what are you carrying. I have a host of handguns I carry but they all seem natural to me when I carry and use them.

Glock 22 is my issued weapon. I have other handguns, but the one that's with me 40+ hours a week just sounds sensible. I decided a few days ago that my off duty holster should be the same as my issued holster. There's just something about keeping everything Even Steven that seems good.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well...I have about a half dozen backpacks but over 50 weapons and since I have like 1/4 ton of rice alone on hand I guess I don't plan on going anywhere...must be confused. :dunno:

I had 2 full safe's a few years ago. Seemed like the thing to do. When I retired the herd was thinned out a lot. Again, seemed like the thing to do.
    all hand guns are 1911's and the long guns (except a few bolt actions) are AR platforms.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Finally got the cold weather pack in the car. My grandmother is thinning her possessions substantially, so I may get a load of canning jars and a pressure cooker or two, rain barrel(s), and will be getting one of Grandpa's guns next week. (Fingers crossed for the Win 94 30-30...)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I need to get a pressure cooker...if it doesn't put me on a terror watch list. Got everything else for canning including extra jars recently.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I need to get a pressure cooker...if it doesn't put me on a terror watch list. Got everything else for canning including extra jars recently.

You want a pressure CANNER if you are canning in it. They are different things...pressure cooker versus pressure canner. You want to make sure you get the right thing.

That might be a good thing to put on my Christmas list. I should just order that and wrap it so hubby gets me what I want. I love that system!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since my last post:
    I attended a Pathfinder Basic survival school class. If you want to read the AAR here it is: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r-basic-survival-class-aar-nov-21-2014-a.html

I've taken a harder look at my "get home" bag and all the stuff I had in it. I've decided on more of a haversack (man purse) appearance and cut the contents and weight of the contents down considerably. Now the heaviest thing in the pack by far, is the 32ounce stainless container full of water. I'm confident if I need more water than that to get home I can find it, boil it and drink it. I've got just enough food to last a day or two at the most and some redundant items were I saw fit. I'm pleased with the new kit, but I'm going to do some hiking with it and see how much I like the single shoulder strap after a couple miles.

My silencer stamp came in so that's nice.

I've purchased a gen 1 night vision monocular. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than nothing and for what it is I've been impressed so far.

Been working on using the silencer and monocular together at night with subsonic ammo. It's not nearly as easy as what I'd expected and I have more work to do there.

Otherwise, the wife and I have been making considerable efforts to clean up and organize our house to get our little mess in order. Once that's complete I'll re-inventory every prep and take account.

New bag pics:

I plan on adding a few more maps, maybe a meal replacement bar or two.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You want a pressure CANNER if you are canning in it. They are different things...pressure cooker versus pressure canner. You want to make sure you get the right thing.

That might be a good thing to put on my Christmas list. I should just order that and wrap it so hubby gets me what I want. I love that system!

Right you are...I need both.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Since my last post:
    I attended a Pathfinder Basic survival school class. If you want to read the AAR here it is: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...r-basic-survival-class-aar-nov-21-2014-a.html

I've taken a harder look at my "get home" bag and all the stuff I had in it. I've decided on more of a haversack (man purse) appearance and cut the contents and weight of the contents down considerably. Now the heaviest thing in the pack by far, is the 32ounce stainless container full of water. I'm confident if I need more water than that to get home I can find it, boil it and drink it. I've got just enough food to last a day or two at the most and some redundant items were I saw fit. I'm pleased with the new kit, but I'm going to do some hiking with it and see how much I like the single shoulder strap after a couple miles.

My silencer stamp came in so that's nice.

I've purchased a gen 1 night vision monocular. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than nothing and for what it is I've been impressed so far.

Been working on using the silencer and monocular together at night with subsonic ammo. It's not nearly as easy as what I'd expected and I have more work to do there.

Otherwise, the wife and I have been making considerable efforts to clean up and organize our house to get our little mess in order. Once that's complete I'll re-inventory every prep and take account.

New bag pics:
    I plan on adding a few more maps, maybe a meal replacement bar or two.

That's a neat kit...unfortunately for my job I'd end up having to hike across the entire country to get back here. My plan is to provision in place and hope everyone's still here when I get back.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Good idea keeping thin strips of bacon in the bag (between the flashlight and the spoon). That'll help keep your spirits up in a crisis. :):

I don't want to break any hearts, but those three strips are fatwood. Bacon isn't a bad idea though. :)

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Since my last post:

I've taken a harder look at my "get home" bag and all the stuff I had in it. I've decided on more of a haversack (man purse) appearance and cut the contents and weight of the contents down considerably. Now the heaviest thing in the pack by far, is the 32ounce stainless container full of water. I'm confident if I need more water than that to get home I can find it, boil it and drink it.

Nice setup and good idea on the weight.

Can I throw in a thought on the water? You might try to see if there is a place to strap on some disposable water bottles or a bladder (like one from a hydration pack). You can always ditch it, and it weighs nothing when empty. But it also costs nothing to start out with more water, then toss it if you are moving in such a way/place that weight becomes more important than water.

Water goes awfully fast when you are exerting yourself on a hot day.

I've done some long-distance cycling in Indiana. Get out in the rural areas with no stores open on a Sunday and it can be a long way between easily-accessible water stops. A lot of the old hydrants at parks and churches have been locked. I realize you are also considering being able to go to a stream. That's fine, but why create the need to trespass if you can simply carry water ?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Nice setup and good idea on the weight.

Can I throw in a thought on the water? You might try to see if there is a place to strap on some disposable water bottles or a bladder (like one from a hydration pack). You can always ditch it, and it weighs nothing when empty. But it also costs nothing to start out with more water, then toss it if you are moving in such a way/place that weight becomes more important than water.

Water goes awfully fast when you are exerting yourself on a hot day.

I've done some long-distance cycling in Indiana. Get out in the rural areas with no stores open on a Sunday and it can be a long way between easily-accessible water stops. A lot of the old hydrants at parks and churches have been locked. I realize you are also considering being able to go to a stream. That's fine, but why create the need to trespass if you can simply carry water ?

Excellent thoughts! Normally in my vehicle I also keep a 2qt gi canteen as well. From where I work to my home home I have sevreal natural places that hold water. I should be good if I need more, but it wouldn't hurt to fill up my personal canteen before the trip if need be. I also like the empty waterproof container idea. They weigh nothing when empty and compressed take up no room.

Part of my goals are to start hiking the distance from work to home. I want to see how long that water will last on a full distance hike. It's one thing in the winter another during the summer like you mentioned.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Excellent thoughts! Normally in my vehicle I also keep a 2qt gi canteen as well. From where I work to my home home I have sevreal natural places that hold water. I should be good if I need more, but it wouldn't hurt to fill up my personal canteen before the trip if need be. I also like the empty waterproof container idea. They weigh nothing when empty and compressed take up no room.

Part of my goals are to start hiking the distance from work to home. I want to see how long that water will last on a full distance hike. It's one thing in the winter another during the summer like you mentioned.

What happens if you're not at work, and trying to get home from another location?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom