• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I know questions like this are old hat to you long time/life time gun owners, but I am about a week away from purchasing my first handgun. I've been generating a mental list of the things I'm going to need. Holster, hearing protection, cleaning supplies, ammo. Thinking about what should go in to my first range bag. I already have a holster ordered, eye protection and have been looking online at getting some good electronic hearing protection.

So I ask you all for some recommendations of things I will need or would be good to have. Any brands to stay away from? Where do you all get your supplies, do you have a local shop you go to or do you mostly order online?

Thanks! :ingo:

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I generally buy local when I can...as far as "supplies" go.

When I ordered a bunch of goodies to slick up my 22 rifle - I ordered online.

I'd suggest (Again...) that you find a jug of in-the-ear "squeezy" type ear plugs. In certain environments, you'll want to double up with those + muffs. Plus they're handy to have if someone else needs some ear pro.

What else you'll probably want for your range bag: Multi tool / set of allen wrenches. A pocket knife or two.

I also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in mine. Used to keep wet wipes in there, but they all dried out.

I also keep 3-4 plastic grocery sacks around to put brass / trash in.

-J-

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The suggested lists could get awfully long! (Reloading press, brass tumbler, lead furnace, etc...)

All kidding aside, you need to get some eye protection for sure.

For cleaning supplies, no one ever got ridiculed for buying Hoppes 9; and I keep a can or two of CLP around, too. I like TW25B or Weaponshield for lubrication, but you're going to hear about Slide-Glide, Froglube, UltimaLube, Mobil One, Ed's Red, Ultimateshield, yada, yada, yada. Everyone has their own favorite. In the range bag is only the CLP, a brush or two, a boresnake and the Weaponshield/TW25B syringe.

I think its very useful to have a multi-tool in the bag, and I keep a brass squib rod in there as well. A mini-stapler for targets. A small notebook to keep a log with. A pencil and a pen. A small LED flashlight.

A small first aid kit would be useful; I keep first aid stuff in a second bag though.

There's more, but this may get you thinking...

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Sorry, should have said that I have eye protection already, too. But as far as basic gun care, I don't really know what is needed or why.

Thanks for the responses so far :)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

I'd suggest (Again...) that you find a jug of in-the-ear "squeezy" type ear plugs. In certain environments, you'll want to double up with those + muffs. Plus they're handy to have if someone else needs some ear pro.
    -J-

A big +1 on this. I have given out probably a hundred sets of disposable ear plugs at ranges and shooting events. It never fails that someone does not have hearing protection and I am always glad to be able to help, especially when it's a kid. By the same token, I bring extra shooting glasses too.

I also think that a basic trauma kit is important.

And a .22 cal rod and some clp or some similar lubricant and a little tooth brush.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Magazine carriers.

For long range days or classes, an Upula loader saves wear and tear on your thumb.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Condescending much? I shouldn't even have to say this but yes, I'm slated to take a class later this month.

You should actually have the class listed in your original post as it is as important as any of the other items listed. It's surprising how much a class to get the fundamentals down will help...and will keep you from wasting a lot of the other items such as targets and ammunition.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I find something new to add to my range bag just about every time I venture out. Safety is the one thing you need to carry with you...ear and eye protection and then just feel the rest out. The UpLula Mag loader is a God-send and any magazine I've ever loaded is made easier by the UpLula...it helps hold down the follower so you can drop the round in and not have to constantly thumb the rounds in...big time finger saver.

Other than the standards of eye and ear and a safe attitude and a healthy dose of respect for the gun, part of the fun of shooting is finding a need you develop at the range and then going to look for a solution. Squib rods, a stapler, lube, light, drinks, wet wipes... I bring thumb tacks just in case the stapler craps out... Just go out safe and you'll find things that will be specific to your needs and area. Since you are in Southern Indiana you'll have to add bug spray, sun screen AND chemical hand warmers to the mix along with rain gear, too!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Xtra staples for the staple gun. It always runs out.
    If you have more than 2 magazines, you might want to mark them.

Don't worry. We've all started out. We've all modified or added to our range bags.
    My "cleaning kit" started as one of those cheap cleaning kits you buy.
    I've had to upgrade to small tackle box, medium tackle box, and now BIG tackle box.
    The box goes to range, but stays in trunk.
    Have any tool I've ever needed in it. So if something jams, I SHOULD be able to fix.

You might want to add pencil/pen/marker, and notebook.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    You have all the basic suggestions. What will happen is after a few range trips you will know what's missing and pick it up then. Everyone carries different possibles.

I don't know about carrying the hand sanitizer tho, might get a corner torn off your man card at some ranges if anyone sees it.

Buying from the LGS is a real good idea because you can look at and touch and trial fit a lot of stuff. My rule is if the LGS price is equal to the internet price + shipping + maybe a bit more because I can Coonfinger it right there in the store I'll buy it there. The other exception I make is if it's something I just can't get at the LGS but can readily find on the net.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Lowes is a great source for small screwdriver sets in a case cheap. Seems that they get used frequently. I also keep a couple lint free rags like you buy in the auto dept. for "wiping stuff". About the only other item that has not been mentioned that I have in my bag is a few INGO chamber flags! ( shameless shill to sell swag)

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Definitely extra magazines, and the uplula loader, I found it on Amazon. I also got a very compact Otis cleaning kit. And we keep baseball caps in the bag with hearing and eye protection.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know about carrying the hand sanitizer tho, might get a corner torn off your man card at some ranges if anyone sees it.

I'm not sure, but I think Ditto is a FEMALE. At least I think it was something from another discussion.

And I'm a 45 yr old steelworker, with 6 years on a submarine. Not really worried about MY man card. Sanitizers are a good idea to clean the lead off you before eating.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Depending on who you are shooting with a class my not be needed. Are you talking just a basic shooting class or an actual tactical training class?

Well it certainly ain't gonna be with Gabriel.

I'm taking an NRA basic pistol safety class in a couple weeks. I figured that'd be a good place to start.

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions :)

Top Bottom