• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Alright guys, I am new to reloading but love the idea of saving some money because I shoot quite a considerable bit. Because I know absolutely nothing about reloading. School me on what I need to purchase in order to reload .45,.40,45/70 and possibly.223 down the road. :ar15:

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I would say call Andrew @ Profire arms and supply and enroll in a great class.
    Learn from a pro. Very friendly, very easy going. Tons of info, and pointers.
    (I DID). Nice classroom, (good hound dog too).

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Another recomendation for Profire. Andrew will guide you on what equipment you will need to properly and safely load your own. The time and money spent on the class will save lots of grief later.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    I have no experience with Profire but IMHO, nothing beats a hands-on education.

Reloading isn't hard but it is precise and the learning-curve (to do it safely) is pretty steep.

The folks at "The Outpost" in Brazil do reloading and as I understand it, they allow beginners to reload using their equipment and dies. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Learn how it's done and buy only what you need as you go along.

If you decide to go it on your own, start with AT LEAST 2 reloading manuals. I stay up-to-date on Hornady, Speer, Lyman, and Nosler but I also keep a half dozen older manuals and a few lead bullet books too.

Have a look at the reloading kits offered by the various manufacturers. My first kit/press was a Rock-Chucker from RCBS (and I still use it for my AT&T rifles). Some people will tell you that you'll outgrow a single-stage press and they'll recommend a progressive press. IMHO, learning to reload AND learning to juggle a progressive press at the same time is too much.

One (of many) pieces of equipment you'll need to load "safe" ammunition is a GOOD dial caliper. Don't skimp on this one, buy a good quality piece of equipment. It'll be accurate and last you a lifetime. I use mechanical measuring equipment mostly because I don't trust electronics and I HATE changing batteries.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom