• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Fuzzy tail eliminates muskrat, beaver and otter. What is it?

attachment.php

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Well this animal was about two feet long. I will have to go along with mink simply because I can't think of anything else. That is a big mink!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd say that due to narrowness of the head that it's almost assuredly a mink.

Adult males are in the 13-18" long range.

If the critter you saw is larger than that - it may be an escaped/released domestic American mink - which are larger than their wholly wild brethren.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Eyes, ears and nose all match up to mink. If you make a shrill sound like a small bird or rodent you can get them to turn and possibly come your way.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Eyes, ears and nose all match up to mink. If you make a shrill sound like a small bird or rodent you can get them to turn and possibly come your way.

Yep. They're voracious predators - and will readily eat and hunt groundhogs. And anything else they can. I'm not sure they're up to the domestic feline's propensity to kill things just for the sport of it - but the members of the weasel family are GREAT to have around - provided you're not attempting to raise birds or rabbits.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    That
    is
    a
    Mink.

That tail is not an otter tail. That nose is not an Otter nose. That head is not the shape of an otter head. Those eyes are mink. That fur is not otter. Add it up and you don't get otter and certainly not a young otter alone in spring as posted above.

You sit on my patio and you can eventually see beaver, otter, mink, pine marten, fishers, porcupine, muskrats and others. Mink are easy to ID once you learn their face. Also their fairly solid brown color is somewhat unique compared to the others.

I have seen large mink just like the one in the pic. It surprised me as well, I am use to seeing smaller ones. I have never asked the DNR guy about the escaped mink. There are still some active mink ranches up here.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom