What can you tell me about the Mak 90 Ak variant?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    So my buddy picked up a mak 90 and is in it for about $900. He has been asking me about it, but I'm an AR guy. I dont know anything about AKs.

This one has a serial number starting with a 700 which I could not find anything on
    No factory stamp
    Made in China By Norinko is stamped
    Mak-90 Sporter is electro penciled in
    Slant receiver
    Sportarms Miami, FL stamped as the importer.

I was hoping someone with better knowledge than I could help us determine year of manufacture, why it doesnt have a factory stamp, and if he overpaid.

I appreciate it!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    MAK-90s were imported from 1990 thru the clinton banning of it by name in 1994. While they are skyrocketing in value, the slant cut receiver versions are not going up as fast as the standard receiver MAK-90.

There is no way to date them by the serial number as I have seen pre-Bush1-ban rifles with numbers higher than post-Bush1-ban rifles. Was just a matter of luck as to whether they made it through port before, during, or after the Bush1 stupidity.

As for factory stamp, very few MAK-90s had the Chinese factory stamp on them. Just remember, the only rule with Chinese AK variants was that there were no rules.

$900 in today's dollars is still to high for a new in box, straight cut receiver variant.

Granted it will be a great shooter, and if your buddy hangs on to it long enough he/she will be able sell it for at least what was paid for.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Indykid summed it up well. When the Chinese AKs were being imported, they would pretty much build them however you specified, so there isn't really a standard to go by. You have to keep in mind that the Chinese stuff was cheap at the time and not nearly as sought out as it is now, since it's no longer coming in. In the world of Chinese AKs, that rifle is on the low end of the scale as far as price goes and being collectible, and I believe your friend overpaid for it considerably. That said, with the way gun prices are going, in enough time it will definitely be worth that. It will make him a great rifle though, and be a terrific shooter.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's a civilian version of the ChiCom 56. I have one marked Norinko also. They were built better than many current 'not milspec' AKs that might not come straight or reliable. It's a good shooter and as always prices vary, I wouldn't take $900 for mine as I couldn't replace it for that price (but then again I've never sold a weapon...ever). I hated the thumbhole stock so took a chop saw and planer to it one night after a couple of whiskeys and like it much better now.

They have chrome lined barrels and mine has been flawless for well more than a decade. Tell him to have fun with it and don't overthink it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It's one of the more reliable and well built AKs out there. I've had 2. I now have one. I let a friend of mine on here have one.
    He only over paid for it if he plans to sell it now.
    Wait a couple of years and I'm sure it'll be a steal of a price.
    No way you can really value a quality gun. It's just a "when" thing.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I bought 2 of them (straight cut receivers) back in 1990. I paid $175 a piece for them. I still have them and have been shooting them on a regular basis every since. They have been 100% reliable and wouldn't trade them for any AK on the market today.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    FWIW just did a quick look at Gunbroker and the starting bids seem to hover around $800, some had been bid to over $1k and still hadn't met reserve...there was one listed in poor condition with a stock that looks like it was put on with JB Weld and other obvious issues that started at $99 no reserve was currently sitting at $450...looks like your friend did fine if the weapon is in good shape.

Top Bottom