• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    For the first few years I'd go to the range and just blast away with no real goal or standard but over time realized I've got to establish a standard and research ways to track and develop actual skill. What are your typical range training standards and how do you log your data? My main drills I do every range or dry fire session are vickers test, wizard drill and 666 drill. The range plan isn't always the same but with carry guns those drills are my test of progress. I'm now meeting a
    Those drills standards 80% on average. I use airsoft duplicates of my carry guns at home which in the last year has went to 1911 platform. Specifically para lda carry.45 and kimber pro carry 2. How does your training plan/session go?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My always drills are the
    EL Presidente
    Dot Torture drill, I vary the distance 3,5,7 yards
    JJ Racazas 2 reload 2, also I do a 3r3 with 2 to center mass and then head variation.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    For me practicing my draw at the range, engaging multiple targets while moving, and believe it or not using a laser trainer to track and Improve my accuracy and speed of shots on target.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do quite a few drills. Through the winter I did the Wizard Drill, a skills check where I shot 1 shot, then 2, then 6, Failure to Neutralize, Baer Shooting Standard, a plate rack and occasionally the Texas Star.

This spring I changed things up since I wasn't progressing in the areas I wanted to. Which is accuracy at distances 10 yards and beyond and speed.

Now I practice Bill Drills, the FAST drill, Baer Drill, one called Two Target Tango and controlled pairs. And sometimes the plate rack.

For a log book, I keep:
    Date, time, temp, weather conditions
    Drill times-on some I record time to first shot
    Firearm used

I used to log round used but I got a little lax since I'm using just one round right now.

And I shoot all drills now from 10 yards unless it calls for longer distances.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I haven't been shooting much this year just because of the cost. When I was...

I like to warm up with a Dot Torture. For awhile I was shooting groups on NRA 50ft and 25yd bullseye targets for score to work on strict marksmanship. The most recent scored test I've used is the US Navy pistol qualification.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My always drills are the
    EL Presidente
    Dot Torture drill, I vary the distance 3,5,7 yards
    JJ Racazas 2 reload 2, also I do a 3r3 with 2 to center mass and then head variation.
    This.
    Short distance 3-15 yards, straight from the holster, ignoring sights. 2 chest, 1 head. Lateral movement drills at 7-10 yards. Malfunction drills with dummy rounds loaded by range buddy. One hand reloads.
    Sometimes sprints/push-ups to get heart going before running through drill.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Carry gun match at Parabellum, Action pistol match at Tim's and I may try the upcoming Low light shoot AllenM has organized at Parabellum.
    It might be too much of a hike, but they hold those carry gun matches at Riley now if you want to one outdoors. I think it's 7 stages in one bay. A nice mix of COF's. I did the last one as a primer to see if I want to try competitions.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Carry gun match at Parabellum, Action pistol match at Tim's and I may try the upcoming Low light shoot AllenM has organized at Parabellum.
    I may try to come by and observe the low light shoot. You can see a lot just by observing ;)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It might be too much of a hike, but they hold those carry gun matches at Riley now if you want to one outdoors. I think it's 7 stages in one bay. A nice mix of COF's. I did the last one as a primer to see if I want to try competitions.
    I wish I was closer to Riley. I participated in several programs that Coach put on there but it's over 3 hours round trip for me so becomes pretty much an all day trek if I'm there a couple of hours. There's nothing wrong with drills but simple pressure of a few shooters watching and the timer running makes the matches a little more realistic in my mind.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wish I was closer to Riley. I participated in several programs that Coach put on there but it's over 3 hours round trip for me so becomes pretty much an all day trek if I'm there a couple of hours. There's nothing wrong with drills but simple pressure of a few shooters watching and the timer running makes the matches a little more realistic in my mind.
    I get it. I don't go to a lot of matches due to the drive. I'm not at that stage in life where I can invest that much time into my extracurricular activities. Its less than 20 minutes to my range. I can drive up, shoot as much as I want to and be back home by 10:30 am or so.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    Usually start each training session with a cold 5 round slow fire group, bullet on a bullet, at 5 yards and end the session with the same thing at 10 yards. In between various drills that I like or new ones I've found that appear interesting. Some mainstays are Bill Drill, Fast Drill, Dot Torture, Modified Half and Half Drill. I used to be a lot more detailed/task oriented in my training but find myself being a lot more freestyle as the years go by.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Depends. If im at the range i shoot for accuracy, work on quick draws, reloads, clearing jams with dummy rounds, left handed hand shooting, and sight acquisition.

If im at the farm dump where i can move freely and get creative, i usually setup multiple targets at various distances, and try to hit them accurately while shooting from cover behind trees, washing machines, whatever i can find or running. Ill also practice shooting left handed from the drivers seat of my truck while getting out of it, reloading, transitioning to my dominant hand, and taking cover. Plus drills where i draw my edc from my hip while seated in the truck, while working my way to the AR mounted under the back seat. Its a wooded are in the middle of a field, the possibilities are endless really but this is where the actual fun happens. Sadly getting the truck back there is seasonal and a half mile hike with all the gear sucks.

On the rare occasion im home alone, ill sweep the house and do some dry firing from the bed, recliner, around corners, etc...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom