• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    So I was sitting in the living room a few minutes ago with the wife, daughter and her boyfriend. All the sudden I hear a gunshot like right by my house...I jump up and look out window and see 2 cop cars right as I hear another shot. By then I am in full combat mode. The wife and kids hid in bathroom and I left out the front door with my handgun, just as I open the door I hear 4 more gunshots. I walk to the front of my truck keeping my weapon in my hand but concealed, using the truck as "cover" between me and the gunshots. After a few minutes of just observing, I came back in my house. My daughter was on the phone with 911 and wife on phone where neighbor had called. 911 then told my daughter that it was an injured deer being put down.

I talked to one of the LEO's as they left. He was a nice young guy and said he was amazed it took him 6 shots to stop the deer. Apparently the deer got hit by a car a couple of days ago and they couldnt find the deer, well they found it today in a backyard with I imagine broken legs.

After this happened I got to thinking about what I did wrong in the "test". I probably shouldnt have left my home.....what if it had been police shooting with another individual how would the cops know I am not a bad guy?

What do you guys think would have been appropriate way to handle this? What would you have done differently?

Thanks

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    LOL. Is this a satirical response to some other post I missed?

If not, the only thing you did wrong was not shouting "Die MF'ers!!" as you raced out into the gunfire.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I saw a commercial on TV. "Some run towards the sounds of battle"
    Semper Fi.
    Anyone else with common sense should probably avoid things like that.
    Wife and child armed when you left your sanctuary?
    Sanctuary secured when you left?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I agree that you should not have gone outside, certainly not with just a handgun.

Maybe grab a rifle and get everyone upstairs (if you have an upstairs). Take a position by a window with a view of the officers. If they were in distress and you had to offer some support you'd have a better vantage point and be better prepared to communicate down to them (call out perp's position, description, etc.) or even lay down some cover fire if absolutely needed.

You running outside with a gun while they are trying to put down a deer would likely be pretty confusing for them and could cause some issues for you.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    I probably would have been tempted to use the Rambo mentality and do the same thing - but I hope that I would have stopped myself and done the smart thing. Once I ascertained that LEO was on sight, in my opinion the smart thing would be to secure / barricade the family in a safe interior location (with one of them armed and on the phone with 911), while arming myself and remaining in the house with a window partially open so I could hear and hopefully see what was happening (yes, trying to hide and stay out of sight like a scared little girl). Only after determining that I could prevent or minimize injury / loss of innocent life, would I interject myself into the situation and risk leaving my wife without a husband and my kids without a dad.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Unless the officers can readily identify you as a friendly concerned citizen, who also happens to be carrying, then you need to be very careful not to fall victim to the fog of war.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If there is shooting outside your house and police running around I don't think walking outside with a handgun is a good idea. I would secure my family and draw the line in my house.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    So I was sitting in the living room a few minutes ago with the wife, daughter and her boyfriend. All the sudden I hear a gunshot like right by my house...I jump up and look out window and see 2 cop cars right as I hear another shot. By then I am in full combat mode. The wife and kids hid in bathroom and I left out the front door with my handgun, just as I open the door I hear 4 more gunshots. I walk to the front of my truck keeping my weapon in my hand but concealed, using the truck as "cover" between me and the gunshots. After a few minutes of just observing, I came back in my house. My daughter was on the phone with 911 and wife on phone where neighbor had called. 911 then told my daughter that it was an injured deer being put down.

I talked to one of the LEO's as they left. He was a nice young guy and said he was amazed it took him 6 shots to stop the deer. Apparently the deer got hit by a car a couple of days ago and they couldnt find the deer, well they found it today in a backyard with I imagine broken legs.

After this happened I got to thinking about what I did wrong in the "test". I probably shouldnt have left my home.....what if it had been police shooting with another individual how would the cops know I am not a bad guy?

What do you guys think would have been appropriate way to handle this? What would you have done differently?

Thanks

Certainly this isn't serious is it?? If so there are multiple layers of fail. Not the least of which was the officer putting down an injured deer "Right by my house".

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This is an honest to God happening. I just got to thinking about it after it happened......and thought I would see if you guys would point out my fails. I have the get them before they get me attitude, so my reason for going toward the gun fire was simple, I didn't want whoever it was getting near my home and family, for all I knew they had shot the cops. I wanted to take it to them rather than playing defense.....and got to thinking that probably wasn't wise. Seems you guys have confirmed that.

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    This is an honest to God happening. I just got to thinking about it after it happened......and thought I would see if you guys would point out my fails. I have the get them before they get me attitude, so my reason for going toward the gun fire was simple, I didn't want whoever it was getting near my home and family, for all I knew they had shot the cops. I wanted to take it to them rather than playing defense.....and got to thinking that probably wasn't wise. Seems you guys have confirmed that.

Well, of course it's easy for us to critique since we knew the whole story, and we weren't there. But yeah, in general I'd like to think that running outside with a gun is probably not the prudent course. No harm, no foul in this case.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Please tell me that this is a parody thread. If you have a perfectly good house, why run out towards the sound of unknown gunfire involving the police with a firearm in your hand? :facepalm:

article-2129462-001358E000000258-321_468x367.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This was YOUR situation and ONLY you could react to it in real time. Monday morning Armchair quarterbacking is easy. Real time counts.
    I've ran towards the noise as well. I'm sure I would again if the same circumstances arise. Different situations will call for different reactions.
    Your situation was a false alarm for you this time. Your actions MIGHT be appropriate for the real deal. Might not. ONLY you can judge this incidence.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    About two weeks ago we had a situation that happened here in Portage. And it was commented on pretty extensively on this site. Guy goes outside to discover guys are trying to break into his car. Grabs a gun and goes out to confront them. Two of the guys take off. He starts to take the third back into his house when the guy pulls s handgun he had stolen from someones vehicle. He shoots the homeowner hitting an artery. The homeowner gets off some shots and hits the perp in the hand. By the time they get the victim to the hospital which is maybe 8 minutes from his house he had bleed out and died. In my opinion stay in the house, call 911, secure everyone. If they try to gain entry game is on. Glad to hear it turned out good for you and your family.

Top Bottom