What .223 ammo are you using for Coyote Season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Looking to get some quality ammo for this years hunt in the fall.
    Seems I can't find my normal stuff locally anymore so I'm looking for suggestions.

Shooting from a 16" Bull Barrel AR, 1:9 twist

Thanks in advance

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I would think 55 gr would be a little light, mainly because my rifle seems to like 72-75 grain rounds. I can't seem to find anything locally above 55 gr.

I'll have to check around for a few boxes of the 55 gr vmax and see how it does in my rifle. I'm pretty sure I saw it locally at Rural King a few months back.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I would think 55 gr would be a little light, mainly because my rifle seems to like 72-75 grain rounds. I can't seem to find anything locally above 55 gr.

I'll have to check around for a few boxes of the 55 gr vmax and see how it does in my rifle. I'm pretty sure I saw it locally at Rural King a few months back.
    I've honestly every tried anything different. They shot really well for me and will smoke a yotes noggin

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I like the 53 grain Hornady Vmax a little better than the 55. I haven’t experimented much with heavier loads. If I want something heavier I go 6mm ARC.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I like the 53 grain Hornady Vmax a little better than the 55. I haven’t experimented much with heavier loads. If I want something heavier I go 6mm ARC.
    I just bought your old Seekins 6ARC barrel in a complete upper. Waiting on parts to finish out the lower now.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Hornady 55 gr vmax. Barrel is 1-9 twist, IIRC. These were shot with a regular scope, with the NV mounted it is still right at 1 MOA.

IoHL1wB.jpg

83CsI0E.jpg

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I guess I'll have to shoot some lighter grain stuff then and see how they group. The 75 gr Hornadays seemed to work really well out of my 1:9 twist with a .8" group at 100 yards.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I gotta laugh because I just went to check my stockpile and apparently I bought some 55gr vmax to try out a while back. Forgot all about it until I pulled out 5 boxes, Score!

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I just bought your old Seekins 6ARC barrel in a complete upper. Waiting on parts to finish out the lower now.
    Cool. I like the round and am really happy with my build. Still holding out hope that Hornady (or someone else) does a factory varmint load in the 60-90 grain range.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I guess I'll have to shoot some lighter grain stuff then and see how they group. The 75 gr Hornadays seemed to work really well out of my 1:9 twist with a .8" group at 100 yards.
    I wouldn’t be afraid to stick with that. The coyote doesn’t care what you shoot it with :) I don’t doubt that my rifle would likely shoot a heavier grain bullet better. I just haven’t experimented that much. Most of my shots are between 75-125 yards and the 53 or 55 is more than adequate precision wise. Head and neck shots are drop in your tracks dead. Spine shots drop them as well. Vital shots put them down, but even a heart shot one can cover some ground before crashing.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    Cool. I like the round and am really happy with my build. Still holding out hope that Hornady (or someone else) does a factory varmint load in the 60-90 grain range.
    BTW, do you remember the twist on that barrel, it's not stamped? The current DMRs come with a 1:8.
    I've seen that HSM loads the 95gr Hornady SST, I intend to try some.

Top Bottom