What 1911 is best under $1,000? Para, Springfield , Kimber, Colt, etc?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My Kimber Compact Stainless II from the first day I picked it up has been the most accurate and reliable weapon I have ever handled. I got it second hand for way less than $1000 I see them regularly available in the $700 range. Mine produces 8 shot fifty cent piece sized ragged holes consistently at 15 yards. The special part is that it seems effortless to do so. Its a dream to shoot. If you wanna go under $1000 I would recommend hitting Elmore's in Greenwood. Their selection of 1911's is the best in central IN. and if ya catch the Old Man on a good day hes liable to toss you the deal of a lifetime. Although even on a bad day id doubt there's a lemon to be had.

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Here are three that all are under $1K NIB.

Springfield EMP40 - my current EDC
    Colt Officers model
    RIA mil-spec.

I would not hesitate to carry any one of these three to protect my life. IMO once you start getting close to $1K for a sidearm, you are paying for bells & whistles. Night sights, better barrels, more frame machine work, carry meld, etc. While all of these are nice to have, you can find new & used very nice 1911's for around $500-$600. With that being said, I really can't say enough about my SA EMP. I have held nothing I would trade it out for as my EDC.

dsc05155.jpg

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I am following this tread, also. 1) Its about 1911's 2) I looking to pick up another one in 2011. I have 2 RIA, one GI and one compact tactical. I want a alloy frame commander length 1911 in the same price range. Any suggestions?

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Taurus pt1911 and have shot over 1000 rounds without any issues. I would recommend it to anyone. For $1000 you could get the gun and 1000 rounds of quality ammo and still have money left over.

Edit: As for the Kimber, SA, Colt question, I have shot a kimber and a SA, both were good shooting guns and I didnt have any issues with them.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Is there really a big difference of accuracy from a 5" barrel compared to a 4" barrel? I've shot 2 different 1911's w/5" barrel and I shot great! I did find a sweet Citadel with a 4" barrel that's got me in this quandary. If only I had a money tree and I could just get both..........

What does CCO stand for?

CCO is a pistol Colt made using an officer frame and a commander slide, I'm not sure what it stands for. With the shorter grip, it is easier and more comfortable to conceal, but has the 4" commander barrel length.

I don't know first hand the differences in accuracy between a 4" and 5" barrel, so I won't speculate. The reason I want the CCO is I carry IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck and the CCO will allow me to use the holster and magazines I already have.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    CCO is a pistol Colt made using an officer frame and a commander slide, I'm not sure what it stands for. With the shorter grip, it is easier and more comfortable to conceal, but has the 4" commander barrel length...

Concealed Carry Officer

Colt is supposed to release this pistol again this Fall as the "Special Combat Officer". The Colt Commander barrel length is 4.25" :yesway:

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I have Kimber, Springfield(s) and Smith & Wesson. My S&W1911PD is the current favorite and is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Springfield and S&W both have a lifetime warranty.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I am following this tread, also. 1) Its about 1911's 2) I looking to pick up another one in 2011. I have 2 RIA, one GI and one compact tactical. I want a alloy frame commander length 1911 in the same price range. Any suggestions?

I carry a Kimber Tac ProII and love it. It fits into what you are looking for but I don't know what they are going for.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Colt is supposed to release this pistol again this Fall as the "Special Combat Officer". The Colt Commander barrel length is 4.25" :yesway:
    :eek: Really? That's awesome! The original CCO's are getting rare and I've always wanted to try one out. As you know from arfcom, I'm quite the Springfield fan, but Colt has REALLY impressed me in the last couple years.

On topic, Springfield Loaded, slightly used Springfield MC Operator, slightly used Kimber Warrior, Colt XSE, and Colt Series 70 repro would be my top 5 if you gave me $1000 to buy something.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I like my taurus pt1911. It's the third 1911 I've had, after a Kimber Custom II and a Kimber Warrior. Honestly It runs smoother, takes more types of ammo, has a better feed ramp polish, and makes tighter groups than the other two pistols. That being said just keep in mind that you don't have to spend 1k to get a reliable 1911. I'd say - find a buddy who has a taurus pt1911. Shoot it. If you like it, buy one and replace all the mags with Wilson Combat. Use the rest of the money to get the right sights and grips installed.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Concealed Carry Officer

About time! Hopefully the other copy cat manufacturers will finally take the blinders off and follow suit. I'll gladly settle for a RIA, Bersa, Citadel, etc., copy of a CCO because Wilson or Ed Brown parts can always be dropped in down the road. With kids and other priorities, a $1500 Colt is out of reach.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You might look at some of the new Colt Govt enhanced models I have been seeing around town. They have novak sights, real beavertails installed (the ones I have seen have actually been fit quite well, much better than springfield loaded's), nice extended safeties and come in all steel or lightweight. I have seen them at Plainfield and Elmores, I know in Plainfield they were less and 1k and seemed well put together, don't know about elmores because they seem to want to always tuck their pricetags under the handguns.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    You might look at some of the new Colt Govt enhanced models I have been seeing around town. They have novak sights, real beavertails installed (the ones I have seen have actually been fit quite well, much better than springfield loaded's), nice extended safeties and come in all steel or lightweight. I have seen them at Plainfield and Elmores, I know in Plainfield they were less and 1k and seemed well put together, don't know about elmores because they seem to want to always tuck their pricetags under the handguns.

They tuck their tags under because they are more expensive. Everytime I've looked for a firearm they want more than most other dealers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My Kimber Compact Stainless II from the first day I picked it up has been the most accurate and reliable weapon I have ever handled. I got it second hand for way less than $1000 I see them regularly available in the $700 range. Mine produces 8 shot fifty cent piece sized ragged holes consistently at 15 yards. The special part is that it seems effortless to do so. Its a dream to shoot. If you wanna go under $1000 I would recommend hitting Elmore's in Greenwood. Their selection of 1911's is the best in central IN. and if ya catch the Old Man on a good day hes liable to toss you the deal of a lifetime. Although even on a bad day id doubt there's a lemon to be had.
    :+1:

I picked up a Kimber Compact in stainless about two months ago and have also found it to be the easiest to shoot and most accurate of all 4 of my 1911s. For me, it's the perfect balance between my full size Springfield and my Kimber Ultra. It's probably the one gun that I can say that I'm absolutely happy with.

Unit308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Take a long, hard look at the Taurus 1911. Look at the options it comes standard with.
    I don't own one (yet) but have fired one of the two that my shooting buddy purchased for just a bit over $600 each.
    The one I fired worked flawlessly and gave good groups at 100 feet from a bench rest with our 200 grain SWC handloads.

Top Bottom