What’s your go-to 7.62 or .308 cartridge for long range shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I hope to do more long distance shooting in the future, since I have Savage and Howa target rifles, but haven't been to a 300+ yard range yet.
    The .308 round I use for hunting will put 4 shots in a quarter-sized space at 100 yards.
    168 grain HPBT Sierra Match Kings (or SPBT) over 42.5 grains H4895 with a CCI #200 LR primer, 2.86" OAL

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I hope to do more long distance shooting in the future, since I have Savage and Howa target rifles, but haven't been to a 300+ yard range yet.
    The .308 round I use for hunting will put 4 shots in a quarter-sized space at 100 yards.
    168 grain HPBT Sierra Match Kings (or SPBT) over 42.5 grains H4895 with a CCI #200 LR primer, 2.86" OAL
    I have a 20” Howa 1500 HB 308 that is a laser. 5 shot group at 100 that is one ragged hole. Hornady 168 AMAX over 44gr. Varget in Winchester brass with CCI BR primers.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    OP really needs to reload if you're going to shoot longer range. Factory loads will only take you so far along on the ride. Now, having said that I've seen a couple 6.5 Creedmoor rifles shoot factory Hornaday 140g match that would rival some of the best handloads. But I wouldn't bet on most factory spun barrels to do that. That was just kinda dumb luck

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    OP really needs to reload if you're going to shoot longer range. Factory loads will only take you so far along on the ride. Now, having said that I've seen a couple 6.5 Creedmoor rifles shoot factory Hornaday 140g match that would rival some of the best handloads. But I wouldn't bet on most factory spun barrels to do that. That was just kinda dumb luck

Honestly, I think that will depend on a dew factors:

1) The distance being shot at.
    2) Is the OP shooting specifically for the smallest groups (benchrest).
    3) What level of accuracy the OP expects/desires.

If he’s only hitting 300 and is happy with 1/2MOA or so, a quality, modern factory load (FGMM, Hornady Match,Berger Match, etc.) should pretty much do it. Same for smacking steel out to 1000 (done it numerous times w/ FGMM 175SMK and 185 Juggernauts), especially if he’s just doing it casually on his own or at local club matches.

If we’re talking benchrest (the 20S is the wrong rifle there for sure lol), smallest group on paper, or PRS type matches at higher levels, then I 100% agree. But until then, good factory loads will do 95%+ of what the OP needs, it sounds like. That didn’t used to be the case, but it now is.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    You shot 3 rounds into .3 @ 100 with match ammo. If you can keep your groups under 1 inch you know there is nothing wrong with you, your rifle, or your ammo. You might be lucky and find a cheap factory round that shoots well in your rifle but don't count on it. Sell the ball ammo and load up on match ammo that shoots the best. Ammo prices seem to be coming down.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Top Bottom