• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sassdan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    brick house off cent
    I have been wet tumbling about 4 months is any one using simple green to clean your brass & how much. I have a tumblers rebel 17.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I have been wet tumbling about 4 months is any one using simple green & how much. I have a tumblers rebel 17.
    Thanks for your help.

Are you referring to the act of cleaning the steel pins after they get gunked up? I'm not sure there is an actual recipe. Give it a squirt and run it for a few hours.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I have been wet tumbling about 4 months is any one using simple green to clean your brass & how much. I have a tumblers rebel 17.
    Thanks for your help.

Simply green with a touch of lemon shine is my wet tumbling recipe period brass comes looking out shiny and new

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Thanks for your help.

So far I have only used dish soap and lemi-shine. Exactly one healthy squirt. I think the paperwork with your tumbler mentions a couple of tablespoons. And I think it talks about if you don't have bubbles when you open it up, you didn't use enough.

It's not an exact science, I don't think you can really make a mistake here.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    No dust, and if done right they end up cleaner.

Absolutely! With dry polishing media, all that happens is the dirt/grime/crud gets transferred to the media--for the most part. After a number of iterations, the media gets so much dirt/grime/crud on it that it quits working.

Washing transfers the dirt/grime/crud to the water and detergent, which, then, is discarded. After rinsing, the brass is quite clean and shiny. If you want a really bright polish: after washing and rinsing, run it polishing media. That media will not get all gunked up with dirt/grime/crud, because it was washed away beforehand. For general, practice reloads, I have never seen the need for doing a high polish after washing, as the brass looks great with just the washing.

Hope this helps a bit. By the way, I did the polishing (no washing) for more years than I care to admit. Since going to washing, I shake my head at all the years I should have been doing that!

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Absolutely! With dry polishing media, all that happens is the dirt/grime/crud gets transferred to the media--for the most part. After a number of iterations, the media gets so much dirt/grime/crud on it that it quits working.

Washing transfers the dirt/grime/crud to the water and detergent, which, then, is discarded. After rinsing, the brass is quite clean and shiny. If you want a really bright polish: after washing and rinsing, run it polishing media. That media will not get all gunked up with dirt/grime/crud, because it was washed away beforehand. For general, practice reloads, I have never seen the need for doing a high polish after washing, as the brass looks great with just the washing.

Hope this helps a bit. By the way, I did the polishing (no washing) for more years than I care to admit. Since going to washing, I shake my head at all the years I should have been doing that!

So true. The only down side is I'm now addicted to it. I find myself depriming even handgun brass and washing it. Nice clean primer pockets, and insides of the cases looking just like the outside, I love it. Necessary? Who cares. It makes me happy.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis

I put a 1/4 of a dryer sheet in with my media. For some reason all of the stuff clings to the dryer sheet. Media takes a lot longer to get dirty this way. And not only is my brass clean and shiny, it smells like spring!

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I have switched from dish soap to Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax. The Armor All with a little Lemishine produces better results than when I use dish soap.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I have switched from dish soap to Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax. The Armor All with a little Lemishine produces better results than when I use dish soap.

Gabrigger, are you using roughly the same amount? I've read that the wash and wax also helps prevent the tarnishing issues some folks were having.

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    Gabrigger, are you using roughly the same amount? I've read that the wash and wax also help prevent the tarnishing issues some folks were having.

I would say that I am using about the same amount of the wash and wax as I was with the dish soap-it will depend on your water hardness. I haven't noticed any tarnishing, etc using the wash and wax. I am sold on it.

Top Bottom