• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I had a conversation with a friend of mine about building a basic gun collection. Here was his suggestions. What do you think? What would you add/edit/delete?

Pistol
    • .22 Target Pistol
    • .38 Snub Nose Revolver
    • .357 4" Revolver (.38 or .357)
    • .45 5" Target Pistol
    • .45 4-4.25" Lightweight Carry
    • 9mm/.40 Full size
    • 9mm/.40 Carry
    Rifles/Shotguns
    • .22 Target Rifle
    • AR-15 Centerfire
    • Bolt Action Centerfire
    • Hunting Shotgun
    • Home Defense Shotgun
    Note: I intentionally left brands and models off this list.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I'd like to see the same list, but for a total of 5 firearms. The five would provide a good starting point towards the larger version of the 'well rounded collection'. My thoughts are something like:

Carry Handgun
    Full size Handgun
    .22 Rifle
    Centerfire Semi-Auto Rifle
    Utility Shotgun (Pump or Semi Auto)

For those of you who take the time to make the 'big list', maybe put an asterisk next to the 5 you think are most important.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Carry gun + backup
    22 pistol
    22 rifle
    shotgun
    If money allows, then an "Indiana deer-legal" revolver (this may also cover the first one on the list)
    If money allows, then a decent center-fire rifle of some type

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I had a conversation with a friend of mine about building a basic gun collection. Here was his suggestions. What do you think? What would you add/edit/delete?

Pistol
    • .22 Target Pistol
    • .38 Snub Nose Revolver
    • .357 4" Revolver (.38 or .357)
    • .45 5" Target Pistol
    • .45 4-4.25" Lightweight Carry
    • 9mm/.40 Full size
    • 9mm/.40 Carry
    Rifles/Shotguns
    • .22 Target Rifle
    • AR-15 Centerfire
    • Bolt Action Centerfire
    • Hunting Shotgun
    • Home Defense Shotgun
    Note: I intentionally left brands and models off this list.

What kind of collection? To use for what purpose? To just have, to survive with, to use in pursuit of game, well rounded?

Depends how basic you want to go. I figure if you can't do it with:

• .22 rifle
    • 12gauge shotgun
    • .38 revolver

Then it probably doesn't NEED done and you should seek alternate routes to your desired out-come.

I'd recommend the .22 be bolt, the 12 gauge be pump and the .38 be 2-3" barreled.

Add some meat with a :
    • *Combat Rifle
    • *Combat Pistol
    • Centerfire Bolt gun

Combat, in this case, just meaning a Mil-Spec cartridge and design. Intermediate cartridge (7.62x39mm - 5.56mm) or full battle rifle cartridge (7.62x51mm / .308 , .30'06, etc..) or a 9x19mm , .40S&W, .45acp pistol.

The Center fire Bolt-gun could be anywhere along the way, although sharing a caliber with your other arms is a definite plus (IE 5.56 AR + 5.56 bolt gun.).

Everything else is fat added fluff IMO. (note: the majority of my own collection is fat fluff, so I don't mean it as an insult. Mostly shotguns, rimfires and sub-caliber handguns. I lack the .22 bolt action and my Bolt guns is a Nagant.)

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'd like to see the same list, but for a total of 5 firearms. The five would provide a good starting point towards the larger version of the 'well rounded collection'. My thoughts are something like:

Carry Handgun
    Full size Handgun
    .22 Rifle
    Centerfire Semi-Auto Rifle
    Utility Shotgun (Pump or Semi Auto)

For those of you who take the time to make the 'big list', maybe put an asterisk next to the 5 you think are most important.

This ^^^ for a great well rounded BASIC collection, I'd say this fits the bill. Much more and its not "basic"

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    start with:
    Shotgun
    .22 rimfire rifle and/or pistol
    Centerfire handgun suitable for personal defense

Consider adding next according to needs:
    Rifle and/or Shotgun suitable for personal defense
    Firearms specific for hunting
    Second handgun as a spare or backup gun.

Everybody has different needs and interests. But it is hard to go wrong with a quality handgun, shotgun and .22 rifle.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    start with:
    Shotgun
    .22 rimfire rifle and/or pistol
    Centerfire handgun suitable for personal defense

Consider adding next according to needs:
    Rifle and/or Shotgun suitable for personal defense
    Firearms specific for hunting
    Second handgun as a spare or backup gun.

Everybody has different needs and interests. But it is hard to go wrong with a quality handgun, shotgun and .22 rifle.

Right on the money.:twocents:

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    That's a great basic collection and arguably more than you need. But what fun would it be if you limited yourself to only what you need.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Real hard to say as each person has different reasons for "collecting" or acquiring firearms.

For home defense only - I would say a handgun and shotgun would suffice. If SHTF combat weapons wanted - AK, or AR and shotgun plus semi-auto handgun.

If hunting - dependent on what your "wants" are. Deer is one thing. Rabbits and Squirrel another, Geese - Duck - Turkey?. Varmint hunting is another issue.

If your going to be target shooting (other than just learning your Defense firearms) another - some want to fire long range - others handgun or 22 50 yard!

I don't think there is a "cover all" answer. In my case I have many large bore rifles, from Mosin's to Garands to an LR-308, bolt actions, lever actions, and semi-autos, and black powder.

Handguns including military and modern, revolvers, Semi-autos and single shot ranging in calibers from 22 to 44 mag, and a couple of pump 12 ga shotguns.

I also have a compound bow, and pellet gun! Don't even hunt any more.

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    looks good but I would add a muzzle loader, .22LR conversion kit for the AR, and might consider not getting the .357. I mean they are cool but not really the most practical things ever.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Shotgun
    Handgun for carry/house gun
    .22 handgun or rifle
    Centerfire rifle

That list, in that order, should be the minimal everyone should have.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    everyone has a different deffinition of a "enough guns".

I say everyone needs a good shotgun, a medium to high power rifle and one handgun. There's not a purpose that one of these three doesn't meet (disregarding hunting laws, etc. purely defense/SHTF stuff).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For a basic 7 gun collection, I'd go with:

.22 Pistol - If possible, a .22 version of your normal carry gun or at least similar
    Concealable pistol in .380 or higher
    Standard pistol - 9mm or higher, with at least 13+1 capacity
    .22 rifle
    Bolt action center fire rifle in 30 caliber or higher
    Semi auto center fire rifle
    Shotgun with interchangeable barrels for hunting and home defense

That collection gives you 3 pistols, 3 rifles and a shotgun. With that, you should be able to do most anything you'd need to do with a firearm.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Shotgun
    Handgun for carry/house gun
    .22 handgun or rifle
    Centerfire rifle

That list, in that order, should be the minimal everyone should have.

Have to agree with the love machine! Starting to see a trend in the responses here.

For me personally this is coming into play in a big way. No secret that I am a huge firearms advocate. With that said I have sold or traded off most of my long arms. Quality over quantity. My personal collection consists of a .22 rifle, AR15 and Shotgun. We do have a couple .22s for the kids as well. As far as handguns.......yeah we have some of those as well. I have been considering thinning the herd but I keep most of these guns for other people to shoot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Have to agree with the love machine! Starting to see a trend in the responses here.

For me personally this is coming into play in a big way. No secret that I am a huge firearms advocate. With that said I have sold or traded off most of my long arms. Quality over quantity. My personal collection consists of a .22 rifle, AR15 and Shotgun. We do have a couple .22s for the kids as well. As far as handguns.......yeah we have some of those as well. I have been considering thinning the herd but I keep most of these guns for other people to shoot.

I'm in the same boat.

In the past, I had SEVERAL more firearms than I do now. I've pared down extensively. Quality over quantity. It also seems that I've become a fan of Smith & Wesson....hmmmm....

Still on the hunt for an 870. In the past, I've had two different ones. I've sold/traded them both - who knows why.

Granted, if I had the disposable income, the property to build a range, etc etc etc - I'm quite certain that I'd be in the "quantity" game - but it would still be quality products. Just a lot more of them. :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    And What people Collect is important to the list.

Most Collections are not working mans guns to me. A working mans gun is a tool. A collection of guns is a to me different.

If I had to do it in Five I would have.

Smith model 41 22 pistol.
    Win model 52 sporter 22 rifle
    Win model 12 shotgun 12 or 20 guage
    Pre 64 win model 70 in 308 or 270 /30-06.
    Colt python.

That would be 5 worthy of being call a a collection because they are all collectors pieces. They also cover all the bases other than what some would call Civil defense weapon and I like the M1 carbine or grand in that role in this collection.

Now I collect lever action 22 rifles. Nice little niche collection. I also collect some target 22's a nice little collection Far more of them than the lever actions., and I have hunting guns a nice little selection of tools.

With a shotgun you can really so about anything with it hunting and home protection wise from tree rats to deer in Indiana. Add the ever present 22 in a rifle and pistol, and a center fire rifle and a handgun.

The casual shoters collection might just go like this.

Browning buckmark 22 pistol
    10-22 rifle
    870 Shotgun
    rem 700 308
    Glock 17 handgun.

Covers the above collection but at 20% of the cost of above if you did not have a time machine. TO me these would be tools in a tool kit not a collection.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm in the same boat.

In the past, I had SEVERAL more firearms than I do now. I've pared down extensively. Quality over quantity. It also seems that I've become a fan of Smith & Wesson....hmmmm....

Still on the hunt for an 870. In the past, I've had two different ones. I've sold/traded them both - who knows why.

Granted, if I had the disposable income, the property to build a range, etc etc etc - I'm quite certain that I'd be in the "quantity" game - but it would still be quality products. Just a lot more of them. :D

You might be surprised. I have access to a private range, am a member of two conservation clubs and live 20 minutes from Crosley. As I shoot more I find that I start to pack fewer guns to the range. The only time most of my handguns leave the safe is when other people are interested in trying them out because they want to buy a handgun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You might be surprised. I have access to a private range, am a member of two conservation clubs and live 20 minutes from Crosley. As I shoot more I find that I start to pack fewer guns to the range. The only time most of my handguns leave the safe is when other people are interested in trying them out because they want to buy a handgun.

Oh, if I were to win $250 million lottery... I'd be a tax-stamp collector / guru and SSNFA and I would become bestest buddies. :D

I wonder how many machine guns I could fit into my Nissan GT-R?

Top Bottom