Well round 2 for carry on campus, State Government level now!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    the funny thing about it was the fact that the campus police is all for students carrying on person or in their vehicles. its the administration that has a problem with it and stated students would be handled with 'swift administrative and legal actions if firearms were carried into a place of higher learning'.. not cool..

but yea close to 40k/year in education and paying for only a small fraction of it sure is nice

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    They are still a religious institution, sponsored by the Catholic Church. They are NOT a "state" sponsored school, like IU or Purdue. As such, this bill would have no effect on them at all.

The State colleges/universities that would be impacted are defined in the IC under 21-7-13-32:
    Indiana Code 21-7-13

If you intentionally incite a riot, then yes, you would be breaking a law. There is no "unsafe learning environment" law in Indiana. Sounds like the campus security folks are confused between campus policy and law.

ahh.. i see now. but the thing is, Jesus WANTS me to carry!!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    There is no "unsafe learning environment" law in Indiana. Sounds like the campus security folks are confused between campus policy and law.

They're so used to bullying and buffaloing 18 and 19 year olds that they can't help themselves and keep from overdoing it. They figure students will believe any nonsense they're fed.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Anyone hear the D-bag student interviewed on WIBC this morning? He said something to the effect of...
    ....there shouldn't be guns on campus, campus is supposed to be a safe place and guns are dangerous. If students need to defend themselves there are much safer ways of doing it.....
    ....Made me puke to hear it. If I am defending my life, the attackers safety is probably not going to be my primary or even secondary concern. Heck, it may not even enter my mind at all, ever.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone hear the D-bag student interviewed on WIBC this morning? He said something to the effect of...
    ....there shouldn't be guns on campus, campus is supposed to be a safe place and guns are dangerous. If students need to defend themselves there are much safer ways of doing it.....
    ....Made me puke to hear it. If I am defending my life, the attackers safety is probably not going to be my primary or even secondary concern. Heck, it may not even enter my mind at all, ever.

Not at all surprised....since he is most likely a product of our liberal educational system.

dnewton3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Indy area
    Here is the proposed draft. READ IT!
    http://www.theindychannel.com/download/2011/1207/29945849.pdf

Any state agency cannot over-ride this, should it become law. That includes the campus administration and staff. This is very well written. READ IT.

Further, it does NOT cover private colleges and campuses.

This is the way it should be.

I, as a police officer, can tell you that I cannot protect my daughter at all times from all the evils of campus life (drugs, alcohol, rape, murder, etc). It is encumbent upon my daughter to use her skills and adult decisions to make the best choices for herself. If she feels that carrying on campus would better protect her, then why should her 2nd Amendment rights take a back seat to all the loud-mouth "Occupy" people excercising their 1st Amendment free speech and assembly, who don't want their 4th Amendment violated while being arrested, then later claim their 5th Amendment right to not self-incriminate??????

Clearly I support this measure.

Clearly, this can work. Utah has had this type of law for some time, and their campus violent crime is no worse, and probably less, than other states.

WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVES IN SUPPORT OF SENATE DRATE #3578.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I have a huge question that I dare not whisper for fear that someone will go and change it.

The possibilities are ginormous, and I hope I'm not the only one who sees it.

And if you do see it, keep it quiet. I know there will be proposed amendments. I don't want to give anyone any ideas.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    i sure do support this very strongly. as a college student at Marian university, i have to leave my EDC at home 5 days a weeek and i hate it. i feel 'naked' without the ability to protect myself if the need ever arised. i spoke my with campus police office early on when i started attending to get permission to carry my holster empty on campus and was told i could be arrested and charged with multiple crimes if i did so... i welcome the start of this new legislation with open arms and hope progress is made!!!

I was told the same thing when I asked the Campus Police Chief about CC on campus. Do exactly as I did... Put HOLSTERED firearm and extra mag or 2 in your BOOKBAG. I did this for 2 years. Always have your bag with you so if something were to happed on the "safe" campus at the corner of Cold Spring & 30th (hood) you can protect yourself and class mates. If something were to happen and you had to protect yourself I would be VERY surprised if they kicked you out of school for saving lives.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was told the same thing when I asked the Campus Police Chief about CC on campus. Do exactly as I did... Put HOLSTERED firearm and extra mag or 2 in your BOOKBAG. I did this for 2 years. Always have your bag with you so if something were to happed on the "safe" campus at the corner of Cold Spring & 30th (hood) you can protect yourself and class mates. If something were to happen and you had to protect yourself I would be VERY surprised if they kicked you out of school for saving lives.

you bring a very valid point as to why i want to carry on campus. everyday i drive from 65N down 30th street to campus and see some rough looking individuals that make me wish i had my EDC. then driving down 29th back to 65S is the same way. the way the world is now, espically with the VT shooting today i wouldnt even want to risk it in a bag.. a truck is a entirely different ball game tho. or maybe i will bury one off the grounds so incase i ever need it in an emergency i can go dig it up and defend myself quickly

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    With todays news related to Virginia Tech, the emotions of the day could go either way.

1. Guns are bad, blah, blah, blah.

2. If more people carried, criminals would think twice.

3. Criminals are going to do whatever they want until they get caught and people are going to get hurt or worse. It doesn't take a gun for a criminal to do damage.

So, Isolated criminal acts using guns reflects bad on the masses of legal responsible gun carriers/owners simply based on fear, lack of info and people who live in a vacuum. (No, not a vacuum cleaner).

The shooting of a Police Officer in this case (or any case) is sad and sad for his family and a carrying citizen would likely not have improved the outcome. These things happen way too fast. It would not have hurt the situation either and as general non-war violence and tension increases nationally, I'm guessing in the back of some LEO's thoughts they might like having more capable citizens carry, just in case. That day may come sooner than later. I cold be wrong.

The one thing about a college campus is most (not all) students are still in that invincible mindset and a gun is something their uncle might carry. There is no easy answer to this conundrum and criminals will not run out of guns in any of our lifetimes.

Last edited:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality

This is exactly what I have been doing since I started this semester. I will not be a victim, and today is a perfect example in my book.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    no marian is no longer a private institution. when they changed from marian college to marian university, they took on federal funding and lost private status. from what i was told, i could incite a riot or create an unsafe learning enviroment with my empty holster.. but i can listen to brainwashed kids bad mouth the military and the war that i fought in!! so back asswards some times

and the reason to ask for my protest is that i am attending school for free due to my Gi Bill and should i do something to get kicked out or arrested, i could lose my free education i worked so hard to receive!! then be responsible for paying it back.. its simple economics for me

Get that threat in writing or at least record them telling you that. While they can do things administratively (if you are a student or employee - from what I understand of the new law they can't do jack otherwise) they can NOT charge you criminally just because you are carrying a weapon (if you have your ltch), much less just a holster. In fact the threat of criminal action may constitute an actionable offense under the new law (imo).

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Here is the proposed draft. READ IT!
    http://www.theindychannel.com/download/2011/1207/29945849.pdf

Any state agency cannot over-ride this, should it become law. That includes the campus administration and staff. This is very well written. READ IT.

Further, it does NOT cover private colleges and campuses.

This is the way it should be.

I, as a police officer, can tell you that I cannot protect my daughter at all times from all the evils of campus life (drugs, alcohol, rape, murder, etc). It is encumbent upon my daughter to use her skills and adult decisions to make the best choices for herself. If she feels that carrying on campus would better protect her, then why should her 2nd Amendment rights take a back seat to all the loud-mouth "Occupy" people excercising their 1st Amendment free speech and assembly, who don't want their 4th Amendment violated while being arrested, then later claim their 5th Amendment right to not self-incriminate??????

Clearly I support this measure.

Clearly, this can work. Utah has had this type of law for some time, and their campus violent crime is no worse, and probably less, than other states.

WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVES IN SUPPORT OF SENATE DRATE #3578.

I just wrote the following letter to my Indiana state senator and representative:

Dear Senator Zakas,

As the parents of two college students, a US Marine and a grade-school student, we would implore you to support the Senate Draft #3578, and any bill that may be derived from it. We are a family of Pro-2A supporters, as well as firm believers in one's God given right to self-protection, and we hope that this legislative session will finally bring licensed/legal campus gun carry rights to staff and students.

We would ask that you consider the track record of the twelve "legal carry" college campuses in Oregon, Utah, Colorado and Virginia, that after allowing concealed carry on campus for a combined total of one hundred semesters, none of these twelve schools has seen a single resulting incident of gun violence (including threats and suicides), a single gun accident, or a single gun theft.

With a "Gun Free Zone" policy, most college campuses simply lull people into a false "feeling" of safety. As most reasoned people can conclude, feeling safe isn’t the same as being safe, and disarming professors, ex-military and other law abiding citizens only emboldens the deranged or criminally minded perpetrator.

We are all aware that school administrators will suggest that they alone should be responsible to protect the faculty and students at their respective schools, and nobody is suggesting that concealed handgun license holders be charged with the duty of protecting campuses. What is being suggested is that adults with concealed handgun licenses be allowed to protect themselves on college campuses, the same way they’re currently allowed to protect themselves in most other unsecured locations. According to a U.S. Secret Service study into thirty-seven school shootings, over half of the attacks were resolved/ended before law enforcement responded to the scene. In these cases, the attacker was stopped by faculty or fellow students, decided to stop shooting on his own, or killed himself. The study found that only three of the thirty-seven school shootings researched involved shots being fired by law enforcement officers. All evidence and statistics to date shows that allowing licensed/legal carry on college campuses has only positive benefits, and there is no legitimate reason for disallowing it.

College campuses play host to every type of violence found in the rest of society, from murder to assault to rape, yet these institutions are allowed to forbid otherwise law abiding citizens the right of self defense. Theses same law abiding citizens are legally allowed to carry their firearms in grocery stores, churches, bars, malls and movie theaters, but are then stripped of that legal right at the edge of campus property. It makes no sense.

Once again, please support Senate Draft #3578 in this legislative session.

Sincerely,

Greg & Jennifer Glass

Please right your state representative and senator to support whatever bill comes from this draft.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The primary argument I can see is that the Legislature is still disallowing the carry of firearms by anyone other than a legislator, judge, or LEO in the building in which THEY meet. The evidence is very clear: WE are not a threat, nor are their office staff, but yet, we are all still forcibly disarmed, they by going to work, we by going to meet with our Governor or legislator(s) or to testify in favor of a bill, or even just to watch our government at work.
    Don't get me wrong. I think this is a good bill. I like the effect it has. I do not understand continuing to prohibit those who carry legally from doing so in those (or other court-containing) buildings. (and I disagree with the K-12 GFZ as well, but that, I'm sure, will have to wait another 20 years before the closed-minded legislators are willing to open their eyes and accept what the evidence shows: Those of us who obey laws do not need laws to keep us behaving civilly, and those who do not are not deterred by words in a law book.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom