• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd also use round up. Buy the concentrate and mix it yourself. Buying the premixed stuff is not the way to go. Plus you can mix it a little more hot if you like that way.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd also use round up. Buy the concentrate and mix it yourself. Buying the premixed stuff is not the way to go. Plus you can mix it a little more hot if you like that way.

Yup, but make sure it's the one with the purple strip on the bottle. That, supposedly is the more potent concentrate.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have heard the following recipe works:

1 gal of vinegar
    Epsom Salt
    blue Dawn dish soap.

I can't remember the amounts of salt and dish soap but I'm going to try it since I go through the Round up pretty fast and I know salt will really kill some stuff. I once spilled the contents of my water softener in my front yard and it was two seasons before I got grass to grow there.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You want GlyStar Plus 41% Glyphosate, which includes a surfactant already.

Mix 8-10 oz per gallon of SOFT water, add a splash of blue die ( $3 on the shelf right by the Roundup), and try not to mist other stuff much. If the water foams a bunch, add some anti-foam agent (also on the shelf), and if you are spraying something witha waxy or glossy leaf, maybe consider some crop oil (though I never have bothered, and the built-in surfactant has done the job).

At the concentration I am recommending, it will not injure timber UNLESS you get it into the cambium of said tree. Then, well...depends on the tree.

Mix GlyStar at 12 or 14 oz per gallon, cut a stump, spray the cambium while it's wet (5 minutes or less), and it's probly toast.

If you are spraying with hard water, consider adding some ammonium sulfate ("AMS"), which, you guessed it, is on the shelf. I never need to, but I use soft water that's been run through an iron filter.

Tordon RTU is a wonderful product, and will kill nearly all broadleaf and woody stemmy stuff, but not grass, and it will f@%* your trees bug time if you aren't careful.

I've used tens of gallons of Tordon, from full strength down to 50/50 with antifreeze, and I've never seen a girdled or cut tree live. Stumps will occasionally sprout if we've cut it with too much antifreeze, but not often.

But do NOT use Tordon or similar around trees you care about, ESPECIALLY if they share a root system with a treated tree, or if the roots even comingle.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I agree w/ RoundUp...... BUT, wear a good respiration mask, and wash hands afterward. Seriously.

Yes to the mask, no to the hands washing.

Wear GLOVES (butyl rubber or heavy nitrile) when handling, mixing, or applying.

...and then wash hands after you're done.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh, and if you are cutting poison ivy, show some respect. The vines are about 1,936x as bad as the leaves.

Pro tip: back cut with the top of the saw, and blow the chips AWAY from your face.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Cut it to the ground and then TRY to grow it.

When I try the latter with grass it always fails to grow. Hopefully you will have as good of luck as I do. LOL

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    41% glyphosate, is basically roundup. It will kill trees if you spray them directly. Keep it at ground level and you will be fine. Can get it at the farm stores. In the spraying section.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Glyphosate is not the best choice for brush and broad leaf plants, flat out won’t kill some. Plus it kills grass really well and you end up with more broad leaf weeds. Every farm store (Big R, tractor supply, Raul king, etc) carries products designed to kill broad leaf plants only, especially brush. Crossroad from Rural King is the one I use it’s death on thistle, sticker bushes and poison ivy but doesn’t harm grass.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    5r7Z9A3.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have heard the following recipe works:

1 gal of vinegar
    Epsom Salt
    blue Dawn dish soap.

I can't remember the amounts of salt and dish soap but I'm going to try it since I go through the Round up pretty fast and I know salt will really kill some stuff. I once spilled the contents of my water softener in my front yard and it was two seasons before I got grass to grow there.

When I was a kid, it was my job to weed this little "patio" that we had (only about 3'x5', made up of concrete pavers. After hearing about how the Romans salted the earth when they conquered one of their enemies, I started pulling up the pavers and putting down a layer of rock salt (after pulling the weeds), then replacing the pavers. No more weeding for at least the rest of the season!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Glyphosate is not the best choice for brush and broad leaf plants, flat out won’t kill some. Plus it kills grass really well and you end up with more broad leaf weeds. Every farm store (Big R, tractor supply, Raul king, etc) carries products designed to kill broad leaf plants only, especially brush. Crossroad from Rural King is the one I use it’s death on thistle, sticker bushes and poison ivy but doesn’t harm grass.

Fair advice, but he asked for something that would 100% NOT harm trees, and he wanted it to kill everything else (presumably inclusive of grasses).

Most of the other products are harmful, if not lethal, to trees.

Glyphosate, on the other hand, will kill almost EVERY weed and brushy item, if you apply enough of it to the foliage with a surfactant and maybe AMS, OR if you get it into the cambium.

That being said, same applies to trees: unless you get glyphosate into the cambium, or spray the leaves, it doesn't harm them. Can't say the same for 2,4,5-T, Picloram, 2,4-D, or even rock salt. Don't know about tricolpyr, but I won't be chancing it.

-Nate

Last edited:
    Top Bottom