• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm trying to set up a webcam and can't figure it out.

I can't even figure out what the software is called...All it says is "Camera Assistant Software" and when I open it it just says "Web Camera."

There is no option for video chat or anything like that.

Do I need new software to be able to talk to someone via interwebs or is there something I'm missing?

I'm still messing with it, so I may have more questions later, but if someone knows of some free WC software I can get that will work I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    what are you trying to do, make a webcam feed or just chat with someone?

In order to do a feed, which would be like having a web camera streaming 24/7 you need special software.

For chatting with people, you can use a instant messenger client, such as AOL, Yahoo, MSN etc. or any webcam based website. I believe all of those messenger clients have built in webcam support. All you have to do is make sure the proper drivers are installed, which should be done when you run the disc that came with your webcam.

If you are trying to make a movie for example or a short video recording, you can use designated software. You can use this software which is free Yawcam - Download it allows you to record and stream from your computer, but if you are using a router (multiple PC's connected to the internet) it may get more complicated.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    what are you trying to do, make a webcam feed or just chat with someone?

In order to do a feed, which would be like having a web camera streaming 24/7 you need special software.

For chatting with people, you can use a instant messenger client, such as AOL, Yahoo, MSN etc. or any webcam based website. I believe all of those messenger clients have built in webcam support. All you have to do is make sure the proper drivers are installed, which should be done when you run the disc that came with your webcam.

If you are trying to make a movie for example or a short video recording, you can use designated software. You can use this software which is free Yawcam - Download it allows you to record and stream from your computer, but if you are using a router (multiple PC's connected to the internet) it may get more complicated.

I'm just looking to use it for chatting...I haven't used IM in many, many years. ..Do I just download AIM, or is it a special one?

If you use it, do you have a link for it? If not, that's ok, I'll just find it.

Thanks.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    OK, so I'm sitting here with the misses and we both have are aim on our puters, but as soon as one of us clicks "video" and the other accepts it just says the session ended.

I'm on the right track, because the first time she hit "accept" I saw her on my screen for a brief moment...WTF could be the problem?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Now the video session is open, I can see myself in the bottom left can corner, but the rest of the screen where she should be is black.

I had a lot of trouble using the web cam on aim it always worked better with yahoo. I also hear that manycam.com works better than either of them...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It's working now, it just took about a half dozen tries for some reason. Now it is working fine.

Since AIM is so popular, it probably gets bogged down a lot.

I'll check out those two cams as well.

Thanks guys, reps to both of ya's.

exar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What they said. I want reps too!!!

AIM tends to always have problems but it is really popular so I use it to talk to STU and others. You could try MSN messenger or Yahoo. I have some coworkers that use MSN for that kind of stuff. Probably best to get away from AIM if you can communicate with everyone else using other software.

I always have to tweak with the settings forever on digital feeds. I had one I was working on that was a black screen for 3 hours until I realized the auto contrast was on and causing a blank screen for some odd reason.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    What they said. I want reps too!!!

AIM tends to always have problems but it is really popular so I use it to talk to STU and others. You could try MSN messenger or Yahoo. I have some coworkers that use MSN for that kind of stuff. Probably best to get away from AIM if you can communicate with everyone else using other software.

I always have to tweak with the settings forever on digital feeds. I had one I was working on that was a black screen for 3 hours until I realized the auto contrast was on and causing a blank screen for some odd reason.

What is Stew's AIM account name (PM me)?

Does he have a webcam?

What about Richard?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I use yahoo and MSN and always got a better frame rate and picture clarity with MSN. :dunno: Bonus to yahoo: video conferencing so you can stream to more than one person. Never could figure that out with MSN.

Top Bottom