• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    There is a new shooting range that needs public support to become a reality.
    The Cheek's family (Plainfield Shooting Supply) has purchased and begun development on a state of the art shooting range a few miles west of Greencastle IN. This range will be more of a "Shooting Resort" than just a place to shoot! The plan calls for multiple pistol bays, shotgun area, fishing lake, and rifle ranges out to four or five hundred yards. Basic gun courses will be offered along with defense and sport shooting training available. Woman will be offered the opportunity to receive any degree of schooling they need, taught by woman. As the grounds develop, RV hookups and cabins could be the future.
    The Putnam County Zoning board has refused to grant the proper zoning variance needed to bring this facility to fruition. The Putnam County Board of Commissioners is meeting on or about February 7th. The Board members can overturn the Zoning Boards decision and therefore allow this facility to become a reality.
    Please contact each board member and respectfully encourage them to allow this facility to progress as planned. As gun owners, hunters, and supporters, we need more places to enjoy our sport and tune our skills.
    The Board of Commissioners’ addresses and e-mails

Kristina Warren
    5875 S CR 625 W
    Reelsville, IN 46171

mailto:kristina_m_warren@yahoo.com

Nancy Fogle
    833 Gardenside Dr.
    Greencastle, IN 46135

mailto:nancyfogle@cinergymetro.net

Gene Beck
    7157 N Co Rd 500 E
    Bainbridge, IN 46105

mailto:beckpow@ccrtc.com

SgtBaker_21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Although I'm a new customer at Plainfield Shooting Supply, I've had several great experiences there & this range sounds fantastic. I guess I got some emailing to do. Thanks for posting the info!!:rockwoot::yesway:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Refusing to grant economic development? I guess things must be better than I thought in Putnam County.
    The only legitimate reasons I could think of to refuse is if it is going to significantly disturb the neighborhood, be a safety concern (lack of proper planning) or lower property values of other properties in the area.

If you haven't allready it may help if you can provide the board with projections of revenues, tax dollars, employment opportunities, etc. This may require a specialized commercial appraisal.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Refusing to grant economic development? I guess things must be better than I thought in Putnam County.
    The only legitimate reasons I could think of to refuse is if it is going to significantly disturb the neighborhood, be a safety concern (lack of proper planning) or lower property values of other properties in the area.

If you haven't allready it may help if you can provide the board with projections of revenues, tax dollars, employment opportunities, etc. This may require a specialized commercial appraisal.

+1. If they have quantitative data that would show how the range would be benifitial to Putnam county, they would be more apt to overturn the zoning boards decision. Start doing research and crunching numbers!

Also do we know if the board meeting is something we can attend? Maybe us as members should go there and show our support. Of course we would not want to open carry, wear apparel with rhetoric, etc, so as to not politicize/de-legitimize the situation. Simply be there to give them a visual of just how many people support the facility. Can we make this an INGO event and we all where INGO apparel?

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    This is how we the people get things done. Showing support of one another. I would be honored to send an e-mail. Sounds like a perfect oppurtunity for an already thriving Putnam county to show how they can continue to grow the community.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I have no dog in this fight. I post this info because I want others to know there is a possibility of having a new facility we can all utilize. The Cheek's family has invested heavily in this project having been assured it would move forward. It now comes down to a few board members giving their blessing.
    Details can be obtained from the Plainfield Shooting Supply table at the 1500 gun show.
    Please show your support. If we don't, we can't complain about not having a place to shoot!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The current pres of DCC is in there regularly and said they were denied. Later, I was at PSS in late March and I asked the counter guy about it and he said somthing like that it wouldn't prevent Bob and Deb from having friends out at their property.

Deb is a heck of a shooter, if you don't know about her, here's a start...
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/team/deb_cheek.aspx

Here she is helping out at our youth rifle course...

Last edited:

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    So they got denied by the local people not wanting them to run a legit business? The last time i talked to Bob about it they were doing sound testing and it was quieter than trucks driving buy the closest neighbors homes.

They would still be able to have friends out no questions asked. They are out of city limits and can legally shoot.

I was really looking forward to this range opening.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    They were denied a required zoning change / variance because they own a big 'ol pile of land surrounded by gun haters. That's really as much detail as anyone needs. Sad story - could've attracted a lot of business to rural Putnam Co.

Last edited:

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    That is bad news. I am in PSS at least once a month. I really like the guys that work there. They are always friendly, knowledgeable and have a good story for you. It is a shame that they can't get this range off the ground as a viable business.

Top Bottom