• 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    People refusing to see the sarcasm or satire of the OP need to:

A. Reset their meters.

B. Admit they are being intentionally thick.

In other words if someone is saying that obama was joking when he made those comments and
    then on the other hand saying that Rush or whoever on the right was being serious is being
    intellectually dishonest and should therefore have their opinion dismissed out of hand.

Of course this is my option....... which is correct...... and I believe we can all agree on that.
    :D

I don't think it's a matter of refusing to see it. I think it's a question of simply not knowing whether to take it at face value or not in the absence of any other contextual clues. I got reamed for missing the sarcasm in a single sentence post. No purple, no smilies, and not an opinion that I haven't seen posted here seriously. How the heck was I supposed to know he was being sarcastic? Really? I have eyes in the back of my head, but my mind reading skills are still being developed and not even out of their infancy for internet conversations. Geez. Give a girl a break.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Don't forget, melensdad, it was spike lee, who said, Charlton Heston should be shot, when he was the head of the NRA !!!!! So THEY (liberals) need to be careful about what they say also.... I am equal, fair, and impartial !!!!!
    did they ban sarcasm hear or something? im seeing this here alot lately

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    How To Detect Sarcasm Without Purple Training Wheels

You encounter a statement that outrages you:

1. Take a deep breath, and reread it.
    2. Ask yourself, does this statement, on its face, make sense to me?
    3. If it doesn't, immediately suspect sarcasm.
    4. Now that you suspect sarcasm, ask yourself if the outrageous comment matches what you might know to be the usual position of the writer or speaker. If it does not, you've most likely encountered sarcasm.
    5. If you don't know the writer/speaker well enough to have context, write or ask a simple question: "Are you being serious?"

Trust me, it works.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    ...I become Emperor of the World...
    Well hurry up and get Emperorin'
    :):

Of course this is my option....... which is correct...... and I believe we can all agree on that.
    :D
    :): Yes we can!

I have eyes in the back of my head, but my mind reading skills are still being developed... Give a girl a break.
    One break - comin' up. Mom had eyes in the back of her head, and multitasking skills. She could keep one hand on the wheel and smack us around while driving down the road. :D

4. Now that you suspect sarcasm, ask yourself if the outrageous comment matches what you might know to be the usual position of the writer or speaker. If it does not, you've most likely encountered sarcasm.
    5. If you don't know the writer/speaker well enough to have context, write or ask a simple question: "Are you being serious?"

Trust me, it works.
    This public service announcement brought to you by Dross.

You all are great. :laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Trust me, it works.

Forget this advise & just NEGATIVE rep! :laugh:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    As the Jr. Emperor in command, if something happened to put me in charge of the Emperorin'

I would make pepperoni the official snack and everyone would be issued 1 Official Brown Shirt................and listening devices to snoop on their neighbors.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Are you being serious?

Both. I'm a regular subscriber to your newsletter during these troubled times. After the first few clicks, didn't get a pop-up with payment info so I thought it was like, y'know...free-n-stuff, what with you slingin' them red pills all over da place. :)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am still confused by the OP... I didn't think there was any hate speech on the left. Those quotes must be taken out of context or something.... Glad to see that garlic guy was confused as well, so I don't feel as stupid now.

Another way to guess if someone is being sarcastic that I rely upon. Look at who posted it. melensdad has been around here for awhile. I have some idea as to what his other posts have been like. Just a thought.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As the Jr. Emperor in command, if something happened to put me in charge of the Emperorin'

I would make pepperoni the official snack and everyone would be issued 1 Official Brown Shirt................and listening devices to snoop on their neighbors.

I see you have not been slacking, as my intel would suggest, but plotting my demise...
    I shall hire new minions to tattle on you...

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    See, that is what I get for posting before going to school and not being able to continue the conversation in its entirety (sp?). I saw the connections. Was trying to rattle right back at'cha. Guess I should have followed my own rule and typed in purple.
    It is very interesting and wonder who will pick up the fight this late stage of the game and protect the free speech of the internet, phones and such. Oh that's right, we already have the good ole FCC!!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    President Reagan said “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    im pretty sure the first couple of response posts absolutely did not get it.

No, I got it, I've read enough of Melensdad's posts over the last 6 months or so to know he doesn't support that position. I just get in a crappy mood when I think about how sad it is that modern "liberals" want to remove liberty from our country.

President Reagan said “We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

:patriot: One can only dream about what "Could have been" if this would have stuck.

garydh1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    To everyone who is calling for stricter gun laws in light of the tragedy in Tucson, may I offer this little tidbit: If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people fat! Remember: Hold the person accountable for their actions, not the means they chose to utilize.

Top Bottom