Was the Indy 1500 gun show this August typical?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Was this a typical Indy 1500 gun show this month? This was my first time and I'm just wondering if you old timers think this was a "good", "disappointing" or "typical" Indy 1500 gun show?:dunno:

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I don't think I qualify as an old timer, but I've been going for a few years. The only major difference I saw was that the number and quality of used guns was much lower than I remember seeing. The number of people carrying guns for sale was much lower, and used guns on the tables seemed to be of lower quality and higher price.

On the upside the number and price of new guns seemed to be improving(with the exception of anything chambered in 7.62x39). Ammo and reloading components seemed to be heading back toward pre-Newtown territory (with the exception of .22lr).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. Loads of great deals at the Indy1500.
    2. Powder was FINALLY available, I loaded up.
    3. In the gun culture August is always slow.
    4. Jackets=gun sales. The colder the weather the higher the volume of sales.
    5. There are four seasons in the gun business and this is the boredom season.
    6. Summer is when disposible income is used for vacations, back to school clothing and home improvements.

There is a cycle. Understanding the flow is critical to learning how to manipulate it.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    I thought this gun show had some good deals. Although there were still some vendors playing shenanigans. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. Zx guns had an awsome deal on sig p938s. $550 which is $50 bucks cheaper than I have seen anywhere else. Would have snatched one up if I had the money to spend.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    1. Loads of great deals at the Indy1500.
    2. Powder was FINALLY available, I loaded up.
    3. In the gun culture August is always slow.
    4. Jackets=gun sales. The colder the weather the higher the volume of sales.
    5. There are four seasons in the gun business and this is the boredom season.
    6. Summer is when disposible income is used for vacations, back to school clothing and home improvements.

There is a cycle. Understanding the flow is critical to learning how to manipulate it.

So THIS show should have had the BEST deals of the Year?
    Ammo prices were RIDICULOUS!!!

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I thought this gun show had some good deals. Although there were still some vendors playing shenanigans. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. Zx guns had an awsome deal on sig p938s. $550 which is $50 bucks cheaper than I have seen anywhere else. Would have snatched one up if I had the money to spend.

I agree, ZX had some good deals! I got a "bag O' mags" from the Glock Guy for $75:): and a few other goodies from other vendors- but I was not too impressed with the long guns available for sale.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I believe this show was above average when comparing the last few. Ammo was still expensive, but reloading supplies was plenteous and at a good price. I've never bought a gun at the 1500, but found one at ZX at a terrific price! I think a majority of the complainers stayed away, which cut down on the crowd and those who came were pleasant and talkative. Overall, I would say it was good.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So THIS show should have had the BEST deals of the Year?
    Ammo prices were RIDICULOUS!!!

It depends on what people bring. If you are looking at the tables you are missing the best deals. Better deals will be in October when the jackets are on.

Ammo prices were great. I purchased gunpowder at $20 a pound, pre-Newtown pricing.

Top Bottom