• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • triggerhappy00

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Merrillville
    I got this P38 in trade a while ago and am trying to figure out a value for it. I know these things aren't rare but this is the nicest one I've seen. It was made 9 66 and has the matching box, original paperwork, test target, and 2 magazines (pistol is even still in original plastic bag). I don't see any import markings anywhere and if it's been shot it hasn't been shot much. The only obvious imperfection is a small scratch on the left grip panel. Any ideas as to value/collectibility? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220213_104008.jpg
      20220213_104008.jpg
      418.2 KB · Views: 18
    • 20220213_103908.jpg
      20220213_103908.jpg
      329.7 KB · Views: 18

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you have a Gunbroker account, check the completed auctions for guns in similar condition that have sold. That will give you a pretty good idea of the market value.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A nice postwar gun that looks to have been refinished by someone. I think the originals of that lot first came over here from Interarms in the 80s. This looks to be the same, but has been cleaned up.

triggerhappy00

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Merrillville
    What makes it seem refinished? It's actually on the box that it is a matte blue. Typical looking machining marks and no signs I can see of it being touched up? Not trying to be ungrateful for your opinion but genuinely curious. Also, no Interarms markings of any sort on pistol, box, or paperwork.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What makes it seem refinished? It's actually on the box that it is a matte blue. Typical looking machining marks and no signs I can see of it being touched up? Not trying to be ungrateful for your opinion but genuinely curious.

The finish looks better than what the guns made in the 60's had, that and the lettering looks slightly washed out like you get when the finish is a second go around. It's been done well, the old west german guns had an alloy frame unlike the wartime steel and it gave the finish a two-toned look. Interarms brought a bunch of these in back in 82 or around there in a nice red box with a police holster. $100 a piece or $90 each for three.

Along with that group they found a few of the P-38s made by the French right after the war and used by the SDECE around the world. These were steel with steel grips> called Grey Ghosts by collectors they are a serious cold war relic. Turn up in Africa mainly but also Vietnam. french p38.jpg P1 BMI on Box.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What makes it seem refinished? It's actually on the box that it is a matte blue. Typical looking machining marks and no signs I can see of it being touched up? Not trying to be ungrateful for your opinion but genuinely curious. Also, no Interarms markings of any sort on pistol, box, or paperwork.

Interarms is long gone so there would be no import mark, but there are still companies that get deals on guns over seas, clean them up and sell them here in the US. P-38s are good solid pistols.:)

triggerhappy00

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Merrillville
    I'm afraid my crappy cell phone pictures might not be doing it justice. I have searched it over and over and can find no Interarms markings or any other importer markings at all. 20220215_155310.jpg 20220215_155250.jpg

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This is close. Can't make out the serial.
    Yours would not be the first Pac West Arms without an import stamp.

Good luck on your search. For what it's worth, I think it is in original West German condition.

triggerhappy00

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Merrillville
    I think so too. My first pictures were horrible. That one is sort of close, but marked P1 and mine is marked P38 and the finish looks like it used to be glossier on that one. Here's the closest one I've found to mine, same date and serial numbers are pretty close too. Could any of these have been purchased commercially in Germany by someone stationed over there and then brought home?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Bookmark that auction and you can go back after it finishes to see sold price.
    Think you found it.
    Very nice.
    I have seen a P38 K in nearly the same condition.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Looks like you got a nice early example of a post war commercial marked P1. I like how it looks identical to the wartime p38 before the introduction of the reinforced fat slide and hex pin in the frame.

As to your question on value, i would say somewhere at 600 to 650 with the box included.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I think so too. My first pictures were horrible. That one is sort of close, but marked P1 and mine is marked P38 and the finish looks like it used to be glossier on that one. Here's the closest one I've found to mine, same date and serial numbers are pretty close too. Could any of these have been purchased commercially in Germany by someone stationed over there and then brought home?
    That auction ended at $780. Now to do the add ons.
    Sale price...780
    Shipping.... 50
    State tax (IN) 55
    Transfer fee at FFL ...20 (typical)
    You're looking at $905 plus 3% if you use a credit card..$23.
    All numbers rounded.
    All that and no box, manual, or test target.
    I guess I sold my P1 too cheap.
    I kind of get a kick out of these "what's it worth" threads.
    As inflation kicks in we will start to see insane pricing on random firearms. Class 3 machineguns have gone nuts lately.

triggerhappy00

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Merrillville
    I watched it pretty close. I think the prices I've been told are pretty accurate. The one I have has way less wear too. As usual with Gunbroker, I saw some stupid high prices on comparable ones also. I doubt those will sell for what they're asking.

Top Bottom